advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Bought a new Mac Mini ... monitor problem
Posted by: raz
Date: November 27, 2018 08:43AM
My MacPro 3,1 (Early 2008) gave up the ghost, so my grand plan to wait for an acceptable new pro design from Apple went by the wayside.

I ordered a new mini (6 cores, 16GB, 1TB upgrades) and a Thunderbay 4 from our hosts to hold the disks from the pro.

The first Migration assist failed (from El Cap on the old SSD), but the second one (High Sierra on a spinning disk) succeeded.

One monitor (Dell Ultrasharp 24") is working just fine on a USBC to DVI cable. The other (older Dell Ultrasharp 20") is flickering like mad on the same cabling. I've tried swapping the cables to no avail.

I'm thinking of getting an HDMI to DVI cable to see if that fixes the problem. Anybody got any other ideas? Or do I just retire that monitor and buy a new one?

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Bought a new Mac Mini ... monitor problem
Posted by: Forrest
Date: November 27, 2018 09:25AM
A quick search indicates the Dell Ultrasharp 20" was made in 2007. I would buy a new Dell Ultrasharp 25". Lots of deals this time of year.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: November 27, 2018 11:21AM
What’s the max resolution of the 20” Dell and what were you trying to make it run?
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 27, 2018 11:37AM
Since you have already gone for broke... get a new 27" and make the 24" your second.

I say if you have all that new iron, a new screen is in order.

Id go 5K if you can *afford* it =)

*edit

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2018 11:52AM by jdc.
Date: November 27, 2018 11:44AM
jdc
Since you have already gone for broke... get a new 27" and make the 24" your second.

I say if you have all that new iron, a new screen is in order.

Id go 5K if you can =)

If the new cable doesn't do it, I'll go new monitor.
Apparently, the mini supports 1 5K and 14K monitor.

--------------

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 27, 2018 12:49PM
Yes, a new cable will probably fix it.

It's common to see flicker or static from an adapter/cable that's not up to the job.

But it's less of a sure thing that it's the adapter/cable now than it would have been a couple of years ago.

IMHO, while some of it is bad adapters/cables, a lot of it is Apple's fault for not making reliable drivers. Adapters and displays that adhere to industry standards and work everywhere else often don't work reliably on the new USB-C Macs and HS/Mojave messed up a lot of displays. This is so even with devices from companies like LG that work directly with Apple.

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 27, 2018 02:46PM
raz
One monitor (Dell Ultrasharp 24") is working just fine on a USBC to DVI cable. The other (older Dell Ultrasharp 20") is flickering like mad on the same cabling. I've tried swapping the cables to no avail.

I'm thinking of getting an HDMI to DVI cable to see if that fixes the problem. Anybody got any other ideas? Or do I just retire that monitor and buy a new one?

Is this mini running OS X Mojave?

I apologize for not having a link at hand, but I recall reading about Mojave causing external display issues where issues did not exist before...

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: November 27, 2018 03:05PM
rjmacs
raz

Is this mini running OS X Mojave?

I apologize for not having a link at hand, but I recall reading about Mojave causing external display issues where issues did not exist before...

Yes. Brand new (Leader?) mini. That monitor worked fine on my old MacPro with a DVI to DVI cable. USB C to DVI on the Mini - not so much.

--------------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 108
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020