advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
New 2 Me iMac: Going to keep it at 10.6.8
Posted by: chopper
Date: December 01, 2018 12:48PM
A friend gave me her old 20 inch Cd2 iMac which is still 100% as it was when it rolled out of the apple store. 10.6.8 my favorite OS.

Might install windows 7 on it.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New 2 Me iMac: Going to keep it at 10.6.8
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 01, 2018 01:23PM
I inherited a similar machine from my work. I plan to use an external FW800 case and an add to make a fun gaming machine out of it.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: December 01, 2018 01:43PM
Those machines make great iTunes machines and digital picture frames!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Winston
Date: December 01, 2018 05:00PM
While I think 10.6 is a great OS, there is no longer any supported web browser for it. Be aware that using it for web browsing really isn't safe anymore.

My 2010 MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Core2Duo, also came with 10.6, but runs well on El Capitan (10.11). However, I was able to add a lot of memory to it (16 GB).

Core2Duo iMacs were sold from 2007-2009 (excepting Education-market-only models from 2009-2012) and could handle 6 or 8 GB of memory.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: chopper
Date: December 01, 2018 05:17PM
Pretty sure I can run Waterfox on it.

What exactly is the issue with running an old browser? I do light photoshop, check email and word process on it.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 01, 2018 06:29PM
chopper
What exactly is the issue with running an old browser? I do light photoshop, check email and word process on it.

Some peeps might say security, but I say say pffft.

You might find some websites wont work with older browsers, but other than that, meh.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 01, 2018 07:38PM
New to you L E A D E R!

Those machines make great iTunes machines and digital picture frames!

Ouch! LOL!

Some peeps might say security, but I say say pffft

Stay away from sketchy sites (whatever those may be) and security probably won't be an issue.

You might find some websites wont work with older browsers, but other than that, meh.

One of my Macs lives on Mavs, and Safari is beginning to have more and more trouble resolving some web sites. As much as I don't care for FireFox, it does work on some Safari doesn't. No idea if it will work on 10.6.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: December 01, 2018 08:40PM
chopper
Pretty sure I can run Waterfox on it.

As I understand it, "modern" browsers get patched for various security holes that pop up. Once that stops happening, malicious code on a web site has a better chance of getting onto your Mac. Or, in the example below, Safari doesn't alert you that it's being directed to a fake web site (a "modern" browser should give you a warning).

Do a web search for "Safari security hole" and see what comes up. One example:
[nakedsecurity.sophos.com]

We’ve seen quite a few articles out there telling you to Beware! if you use the Safari browser, because Attackers Can Spoof URLs!

This sounds like a serious issue, worthy of the boldfaced exclamation points we’ve used above, and here’s why.

A spoofed URL is where the address bar at the top of your browser shows a website name that is deliberately and misleadingly different from the web page displayed in the browser itself.

That’s not supposed to happen.

The content served up by a website can display pretty much anything it wants in the main browser window, including fraudulent text and other people’s logos, but the address bar itself is supposed to be sacrosanct.

There have been examples of security holes that can actually let malicious code take control of your computer via your web browser. For example:
[www.cisecurity.org]

06/30/2015
OVERVIEW:
Multiple vulnerabilities have been discovered in Apple iOS, Mac OS X, and Safari. . . .
These vulnerabilities can be exploited if a user visits or is redirected to a specially crafted webpage, or opens a specially crafted file, including an email attachment, using a vulnerable version of OS X.

Successful exploitation could result in an attacker gaining the same privileges as the logged on user, remote code execution within the context of the application, and bypass of security systems.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: December 01, 2018 08:41PM
ps: Given how many big companies, who theoretically have robust security, have been hacked, it's not unreasonable to expect that even some legitimate web sites are harboring malicious code.

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: December 01, 2018 09:03PM
This might be of interest:

[www.reddit.com]

March 18, 2017
Waterfox has set the minimum OS X version to 10.4 (Tiger) with no guarantee to work. The last Firefox version to officially support OS X 10.6 was Firefox 48, so the corresponding Waterfox version would have to be Waterfox 48. You can grab the Waterfox 48.0.1 file here: [www.waterfoxproject.org] This version should work on OS X 10.6. If you need another language than English you can get the applicable XPI file form the Mozilla Firefox add-on page.

You might also be interested in Firefox 45 ESR, in this case you can download the current file from here (choose the language abbreviation that applies to you): [archive.mozilla.org] This ESR will still receive security updates for the next 8 weeks, but then it is also over for that version.

No browser will support OS X 10.6 from this point going forward. If you are interested in running the current Waterfox please install OS X 10.9 or higher. [Emphasis added.]

As a sidenote: Still using OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard is definitely NOT recommended, as this OS X hasn't received any security updates from Apple since 2013(!!!).

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 01, 2018 11:02PM
At this point I would not use 10.6.8 for anything online. I would make it a stand-alone Machine and use USB drives to move files back and forth
Posted by: tlh828
Date: December 02, 2018 04:42AM
I use 10.6.8 on a headless Mini with an Apple USB Fax Modem connected to a VOIP "landline". (Yes, some still must be able to send and receive faxes). Remote screen sharing allows complete access. Works great.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: December 02, 2018 08:22AM
I also have 10.6.8 on a headless mini. Every time I use it I feel like it was our peek GUI. It has a workout no version of DiskUtility and it’s worth keeping just for that.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else
[colquhoun.info]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020