advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need an art supply box for my 11 year old... HELP. :)
Posted by: spacescape
Date: December 14, 2018 12:04PM
My son just turned 11 on Tuesday and we bought him Prismacolor Markers (24 count) and some marker paper. My sister (his aunt) bought him some Prismacolor pencils.

[www.amazon.com]

Looking for an art box for him to put all his "good" art supplies in... But, can't seem to figure out which one would be good to hold markers, pencils and some other odds and ends (erasers, pencils, etc.). Any suggestions?

I'm looking at ArtBin

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

But, open to other suggestions... would like room for other items so I guess a "XL" bin wouldn't be a bad idea.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need an art supply box for my 11 year old... HELP. :)
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: December 14, 2018 12:20PM
Check out fishing tackle boxes. They frequently have equivalent features/usability at a lower price.

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 14, 2018 12:28PM
I'll second the fishing tackle box idea. My calligraphy pens are in a medium sized tackle box and have been for decades.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: December 14, 2018 12:31PM
I discovered as a 15 year old that it was possible to carefully break, by flexing back and forth with needlenose pliers, some of the dividers out of tackle box trays to make compartments sized for lures more suitable in size for pens and markers.
Posted by: FormerlySaleenl
Date: December 14, 2018 01:01PM
We have a combination of a tackle box and one of these for markers and pencils: [smile.amazon.com]

The big section has some of the cheap, plastic cups that we've received as giveaways that she can take out/rotate based on what she's working on.

I'm not in love with Artbins because they have these finicky plastic closures that can fall off. I have some for my sewing but decided against buying them for my daughter.

Sarah
Posted by: rgG
Date: December 14, 2018 01:27PM
I had a blue metal tackle box for all my art supplies I had to carry to class, back in college.
I would suggest putting a cotter key or big Bobby pin through the latch, so that you don’t accidentally hit the latch getting on say a campus bus and watching all your pens, pencils, markers, erasers, etc., roll to the back of the bus and under seats and wherever else would be hardest to get to. Just a thought. smiling smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: pqrst
Date: December 14, 2018 04:17PM
Artbin is the good brand, if not a little expensive.
Posted by: 3d
Date: December 14, 2018 05:37PM
I'm a fan of those stacking clear Sterlite bins with locking latches.

There is a large size bin that fits 8.5 x 11 paper flat. I hate finding "nice" art paper with dinged corners and marks.

[www.amazon.com]

The other sized bins in that Amazon listing fit colored pencils and markers, paints, etc. It's nice to have a separate bin for each medium. Why lug around the markers and pencils if you're working in charcoals that day? A shoebox type bin is also good with keeping pencils and markers in their original packaging without having to worry about everything fitting into compartments.

I would get a specialized case for brushes though.

Posted by: testcase
Date: December 14, 2018 06:05PM
Jeez, back when I was a kid, a cigar box worked just fine...... old fogey smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020