advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
sick after eating at certain restaurants
Posted by: davemchine
Date: December 16, 2018 05:09AM
If I eat at Red Lobster, Olive Garden or Applebee's I get sick very fast. Some of my friends have called me a "snob" because of this but I can eat McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, etc with no problems. Is there something common between the first three restaurants that might make a person sick? They are very popular restaurants so I get invited to events but have to turn them down. Maybe there are certain foods I could stick with at these restaurants that would be "safer".

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: sick after eating at certain restaurants
Posted by: Bernie
Date: December 16, 2018 06:39AM
Higher content of MSG?

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: DP
Date: December 16, 2018 07:14AM
What do you eat at those that you don't at the fast food eateries? Fish? Salads?

In memory of Dickie Betts.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.

"Show me the man and I’ll show you the crime."- Lavrentiy Beria
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: December 16, 2018 08:10AM
davemchine
If I eat at Red Lobster, Olive Garden or Applebee's I get sick very fast. Some of my friends have called me a "snob" because of this but I can eat McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, etc with no problems. Is there something common between the first three restaurants that might make a person sick? They are very popular restaurants so I get invited to events but have to turn them down. Maybe there are certain foods I could stick with at these restaurants that would be "safer".

'Get sick' is rather vague. GI symptoms: nausea, vomiting, etc.? Just heartburn?

I find that 'slow-food' restaurants give you too much food. Yes, you can take some home in a 'doggy bag', but I tend to eat too much. With fast-food joints, I easily limit what I buy and thus what I consume. My tummy prefers less rather than more. Two MacDonald's cheeseburgers (the regular, small kind), no fries, is plenty for me.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 11am Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2018 08:10AM by mrlynn.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: December 16, 2018 08:31AM
Dave,

It's possible they have a common ingredient and/or cooking technique that creates your issue.

If I eat at a particular location of a Boston Market, I end up with a horrible case of the toilet blasts. I'm fine immediately afterward, If it happened just once, I would've called it a fluke. I went there three times. Ended up making the bathroom unusable for the other patrons three times.

I can't blame the restaurant since my wife never had issues and none of the other patrons appeared to be racing to the bathroom with bowel distress. So, I know it was just me. We never went back after the third "incident". Although the distress never occurred after eating at other locations of Boston Market, I'm still _very_ gunshy of eating at the chain or bringing food home from it.

Robert
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: December 16, 2018 08:37AM
Red Lobster and Olive Garden used to be under the same parent company, Darden. Red Lobster was sold off a few years ago, I'm guessing the menu and supplier chain have had little change. Applebees is also possibly in that same similar supply network. These three plus many, many more are in the so called fast casual segment. There are only so many suppliers, so many of the foods have the same origin.
I recall way back in the day my bacon came from a supplier that supplied for 12 companies. On one end of the box were listed 6 brands, the other side also had 6. The particular bacon brand was checked off on the box.
IMO, you have 3 types of food being supplied, the fast food level where it is mostly frozen and prepared the way the customer desires, the fast casual segment used frozen and refrigerated product that is usually prepped close to how the restaurant uses it, they are also high volume, so suppliers will do things for them, and the the privately owned restaurants that take a less pre prepped product and makes it there own in house to be their own product.

That's a long way off saying, try finding a locally owned restaurant that will have to construct there own products. You will get away from whatever is bothering you in the semi prepped large supplier network, and you will be supporting a local business at the same time.
I say this partly because I hate fast food, and even though I enjoy Olive Garden, etc, my life long goal is/was to own my own restaurant, so I try to frequent Mom and Pops, or non-chains whenever possible. They work hard and have a high failure rate, which is why I do not own a restaurant, my wife won't let me.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 16, 2018 08:55AM
davemchine
If I eat at Red Lobster, Olive Garden or Applebee's I get sick very fast. Some of my friends have called me a "snob" because of this but I can eat McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, etc with no problems.

First thing that I thought of was the high salt content of their food, but you're getting that at the fast food joints as well.

As I've aged, I've found that salty food is more likely to make me feel ill and sometimes mess up my guts. Hitting McDonalds, in particular, is throwing the dice on feeling my guts churn for 24 hours. I've switched to a mostly vegetarian diet and that's helped tremendously.

Still, I wonder whether the salty food is contributing to the problem.

...I can eat at Applebee's with no ill-effects, but Olive Garden has made me ill every time that I've eaten there. Not necessarily running for the john. Most often, it's a painful lump in my gut like the food is not digesting and has decided to impale me. Considering their flavor profiles, I imagine that their "pasta" is more sawdust than flour and that the effects I suffer come from the remains of varnishes and stains. Were it not for demanding friends, I'd never go there.

Posted by: 3d
Date: December 16, 2018 08:57AM
Red Lobster, Olive Garden or Applebee's vs. McDonalds, Burger King, KFC
One difference is the first three uses frying pans and pots.
So maybe it's too much low quality cheap butter and cheap oil they slather on the pans during cooking.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: December 16, 2018 09:05AM
I can‘t imagine inviting people to any of those places, unless they were people I didn’t like. Are there really no alternatives to these crapfood chains in the area?

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 16, 2018 09:55AM
ka jowct
I can‘t imagine inviting people to any of those places, unless they were people I didn’t like. Are there really no alternatives to these crapfood chains in the area?

Plenty of alternatives around here.

I don't understand how Olive Garden remains in business with such terrible pseudo-food, and yet I've seen the powerful draw that it has on some people.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 16, 2018 10:13AM
....it depends what you eat....seafood....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 16, 2018 10:29AM
Sarcany
ka jowct

Plenty of alternatives around here.

I don't understand how Olive Garden remains in business with such terrible pseudo-food, and yet I've seen the powerful draw that it has on some people.

I feel the same, but there are parts of strip malls-ville, usa, where there are no viable alternatives, sadly. Much of their food is just iqf or frozen and reheated in commercial ovens made for that purpose. Ironically, much of that is done to keep things like food contamination to a minimum.

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: lost in space
Date: December 16, 2018 10:29AM
Hydrolyzed vegetable protein is an issue for me, as is msg. Maybe you too?

Posted by: davemchine
Date: December 16, 2018 10:41AM
I do tend to order seafood. Maybe I should switch to chicken or just a salad. I order from the small portion side of the menu so it isn’t the size of the meal. Yet there I was last night sprinting for the bathroom before leaving the restaurant. Just me though. Rest of the group seemed fine. My dad LOVES places like Olive Garden. I may have to just say no next time.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 16, 2018 11:27AM
One possibility is the chemicals they use to clarify cooking oil for reuse.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 16, 2018 12:51PM
Filliam H. Muffman

they reuse cooking oil???
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: December 16, 2018 01:13PM
space-time
Filliam H. Muffman

they reuse cooking oil???

Of course they do... what, you think McDonalds has a tanker truck outside full of cooking oil? It's filtered and reused quite a few times... then it's even sent out for reprocessing.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: davester
Date: December 16, 2018 01:18PM
ka jowct

I agree. Corporate chains like those do not have quality food. They use whatever cheap money-saving tricks they can to appeal to taste buds while keeping costs ultra low (MSG, extra salt, lots of sugars and other carbs, hydrogenated fats, painted on grill marks on your steaks, burgers and fish, propylene glycol and sulfites sprayed on salad greens to keep them looking fresh, etc). They don't have chefs, they just have low-paid line cooks who churn out whatever it is that the corporate bean counters identify as profit-makers. I worked for a place like that way back in my college days and was shocked at what passed for food there. For example, did you know that the hard-boiled eggs on your corporate-chain salad are actually sliced, reconstituted and preserved foot long "egg rolls". Who knows what chemicals they use to bind that stuff together to make it look like a slice of hard-boiled egg.

For these reasons I avoid mall chain restaurants like the plague. Unfortunately, as pointed out by mrbigstuff, there are now many parts of the US where there are no local restaurants run by skilled chefs or anyone who cares about food and strip mall fare is all that's available.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2018 06:23PM by davester.
Posted by: rz
Date: December 16, 2018 04:14PM
ka jowct

I would say the same about McDonald's, Burger King, KFC, etc. I don't understand why anyone would eat at places like those.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 16, 2018 05:30PM
Robert M
If I eat at a particular location of a Boston Market, I end up with a horrible case of the toilet blasts. I'm fine immediately afterward, If it happened just once, I would've called it a fluke. I went there three times. Ended up making the bathroom unusable for the other patrons three times.
There was one KFC in Hyannis that would make my brother ill, as in violent vomiting. The first time he thought he had the flu, the second time he realized it was their food. No other KFC had or has done this to him.

Posted by: Pam
Date: December 16, 2018 05:53PM
Do they cook their seafood in olive oil? Over exposure to it can really lube the system for some.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: December 16, 2018 05:54PM
rz
ka jowct

I would say the same about McDonald's, Burger King, KFC, etc. I don't understand why anyone would eat at places like those.

I like 'em (the burgers, anyway).

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 16, 2018 07:51PM

I just had a Quarter Pounder Deluxe and a Quarter Pounder with Cheese, and they were delicious.

If I feel like making a small trip, there's '50's style diner that serves a delicious burger with a custom blend of fat for extra tastiness and build your own condiments.

A great meal, but a little pricy.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 136
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020