advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
MacTuneUp
Posted by: rouderon
Date: December 21, 2018 09:13AM
So, MacTuneUp is on sale for $20 [macwareinc.com] - wondering if this program is good or junk? Does this do anything that OnyX doesn't?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: MacTuneUp
Posted by: Fritz
Date: December 21, 2018 09:42AM
[malwarefixes.com]

!#$@@$#!

Date: December 21, 2018 09:52AM
Thanks, Fritz, but I believe this is a different program (not Secure Mac TuneUP, just Macware's MacTuneUp). Unless, it's been rebranded?
Posted by: Fritz
Date: December 21, 2018 09:55AM
dunno, then.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: PeterW
Date: December 21, 2018 10:17AM
Apparently it does a lot more than Onyx. Read the reviews at Amazon. 85% 1-star. Yikes.
Posted by: clay
Date: December 21, 2018 10:50AM
These sorts of programs are nearly universally unneeded for most folks. If a program like this was truly useful and used by many, there would be a lot more reviews out there and mentions of it here on MRF and other similar sites.

I guess I just don't see the point of these programs that promise so much and yet often either don't deliver on their promises, or deliver malware instead.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: December 21, 2018 11:09AM
I would never unleash one of these “Mac clean up” apps on any system of mine. If you want to clean caches, use something like Onyx. You can use other apps to identify what is taking up space: Grand Perspective or Omni DiskSweeper. Then you can decide what items you can safely store elsewhere.

Junk like this has more potential for harm than benefit. These apps start to look appealing because of the tiny drives people install, or are stuck with because they got minimally configured Macs with ridiculous default storage (256GB on something with the Pro label? Ridiculous!).

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Date: December 21, 2018 12:51PM
Yeah - was wondering if this app had any benefit (or if it was total crapware). I'm on High Sierra and haven't had a fresh install since probably Mountain Lion or Mavs. I've also done a few clones as I went from platter hdd to ssd, then to larger ssd. For the most part, everything is running well, just doesn't seem optimal. I really need to do a nuke and pave, but am in need of a large block of time I just don't have right now. I was hoping for a magic program that would 'make all my wildest dreams come true' *Pedro
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: December 21, 2018 03:42PM
If you have a spare drive handy, you could try just installing a fresh OS on that to see if there is a big difference between that drive's performance and that of your existing system.

My main system drive, which is still on Mavericks, has been through a few upgrade cycles, and is slower than the drives that got clean installs, or upgrades from a single OS installation.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Date: December 21, 2018 09:10PM
I had actually considered something like that. I could use the smaller ssd that was previously in my Mac to give it a shot. Someday... :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020