advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OT: Any need for old expired passport before geting new one?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 18, 2006 05:30AM
My passport expired in 1999. Is there any reason to dig it up before I get a new one, or should I just start cold?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: Any need for old expired passport before geting new one?
Posted by: iaJim
Date: January 18, 2006 06:29AM
I think they want to see it, but I can't remember for sure. Been a long time. Don't toss it!
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: January 18, 2006 07:01AM
You can get a renewal at lower cost even if expired, but I believe there is a time limit. I'd check before tossing it. I'm thinking it's 5 years but I could be wrong.
Posted by: mjgkramer
Date: January 18, 2006 07:27AM
Years ago when I got a new passport they wanted my old one, which I told them was lost. In 2000, the last time I got a new passport, they stamped "Cancelled" on the signature page, punched two holes in the cover, and gave it back to me. I have kept it as it as a souvenir of my world travels. I don't recall any renewal at lower cost offer.
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 18, 2006 07:45AM
They do want you to send your old one in when you get your new one.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: macmom42
Date: January 18, 2006 07:47AM
I just got a new one a few months ago. My old one had expired in 1997, and they did not need to see it. There is a space on the form, however, to put the number of any past passports you have had, but I don't think it really matters if you put down a number or not. The forms are available online, and it's a very good idea to have them already filled out (but not signed) when you go to the passport office. You have to sign it in front of the person at the office.

"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
Posted by: macmom42
Date: January 18, 2006 08:02AM
Here's the link for the forms:

[travel.state.gov]

"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
keep it if you want to save $30.
Posted by: Psurfer
Date: January 18, 2006 08:37AM
If your old passport was issued in the last 15yrs -and when you were 16yrs or older, you can mail it in w/a Renewal application and photos for $67, vs $97 for the non-renewal application which must be done in person and has the added "execution fee" (which doesn't sound too appealing in this age of authoritarian government).

See macmom's .gov link for the details.
Posted by: Michael
Date: January 18, 2006 10:36AM
I just got a new one last spring. My old one had been lost for several years. I had to fill out a form explaining the context in which the old one was lost. It would have saved a couple of minutes to have had the old one with me.

One other issue was that they _required_ an official birth certificate. They would not accept one that didn't have the official seal, even though it was an original. I don't know if the old passport would serve as a replacement.
Posted by: Gyrene
Date: January 18, 2006 03:21PM
The old passport proves you are a US citizen. Relieves the need to provide birth certificate or other documents to prove citizenship. They'll return the old one with two holes punched in the cover.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 18, 2006 08:50PM
If I get the new one here in Podunkville like I did the last one, I'm assuming it will sail through with a County Clerk or whatever office it is approval.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 65
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020