advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How often do you go out for lunch?
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 13, 2019 01:04PM
neighbor, our kids play together. I text her if her son wants to come over. She says "out for lunch, will message when we get home". now nothing unusual with that, but I know they try to save money to put kids through college (3 kids) and she complains about trying to make ends meet in general. So out for lunch is not unusual, except it happens very often, usually 3-4 times per weekend, and several more times during the week.

I am not trying to judge, I am just curious what is the statistics here in the forum. do you go out once in a while, on a regular basis, and how often?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How often do you go out for lunch?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 13, 2019 01:15PM
When I'm at work... cafeteria every day. Or during crises, granola bar at my desk.
When I'm at home, almost never.

Then again her message may be her standard 'I'm busy" response. YMMV. Your best result would be to actually ask her..

"Hey, how are you ! You go out to lunch a lot, is there a place you can recommend ? I wanted to take my wife out to lunch next Saturday.."
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 13, 2019 01:22PM
Maybe someone else is buying. Hard to pass up a "free lunch".
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 13, 2019 01:24PM
I can't recall the last time I went out to lunch. That is partially due to only getting 25 minutes for lunch, but I'm also not a lunch eater, usually just an apple.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: January 13, 2019 01:25PM
Are we talking fast food or a sit down lunch using servers?

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: January 13, 2019 01:29PM
space-time
neighbor, our kids play together. I text her if her son wants to come over. She says "out for lunch, will message when we get home". now nothing unusual with that, but I know they try to save money to put kids through college (3 kids) and she complains about trying to make ends meet in general. So out for lunch is not unusual, except it happens very often, usually 3-4 times per weekend, and several more times during the week.

If the text is always the same, she's using a canned response from her phone.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 13, 2019 01:43PM
......others have described one as "out to lunch"......not the sharpest tool in the shed.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: January 13, 2019 02:05PM
Only when I'm traveling. Otherwise, I always have food in the house.
Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: January 13, 2019 02:27PM
My budget allows for a once a week brunch for food and entertainment. I can't imaging having to pay for myself and 3 kids. No wonder your friend is broke.

Le poète doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Posted by: bik
Date: January 13, 2019 02:29PM
She responds this way 3-4 times per weekend and several times per week. That does seems like a lot of lunches. But, on the other hand, how often are you pestering this poor woman?

It's nice though that you're not trying to judge...
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 13, 2019 02:44PM
Whenever I feel like it.

Maybe your neighbor has, ahem, a side line going to bring in some extra cash?

Nooners R Us?
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 13, 2019 03:31PM
Me? Hardly ever. I define "hardly ever" as "not unless it's a social occasion with friends".
I don't go "out for lunch" during the work week because it's expensive and usually more calories than I care to have.
I don't typically go out for lunch on weekends unless it's a get together with friends. Again, expensive, and calories.
For just "getting food because I didn't bring a lunch" during the week, I'd say less than twice a month... usually because I have a food craving. That average is pushed up to 2 by when I work over the summer, and don't always bring a lunch when I'm working at the school. I don't always plan on working a full day, and when it gets to 2pm and I'm still at work, I'll go grab something.

As opposed to a friend of mine who I swear to god eats out at LEAST 10 meals a WEEK. He gets breakfast on the way to work, goes out for lunch, and most of the time will stop and pick up dinner on the way home. He's the same guy who always complains he doesn't have any money.... we keep explaining to him that we know EXACTLY where his money goes, but it just isn't clicking with him how much it's costing him.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 13, 2019 03:33PM
testcase

Maybe your neighbor has, ahem, a side line going to bring in some extra cash?

Nooners R Us?

There's a successful local restaurant here.... "Cafe Nooner". I grin every time I pass it.
Good food, too.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 13, 2019 04:10PM
Almost never.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 13, 2019 04:50PM
Whenever I feel like it.

Same here.

Heck, I even go out for lunch when I have food in the house.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: January 13, 2019 05:50PM
After sack lunches for 32 years...I don't mind treating myself to lunch "out" these days. Lunch out is generally less than 10 bucks for me, as I am at a ski hill most every day in this winter.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: January 13, 2019 06:34PM
I had lunch with coworkers fairly regularly for a while. My current work is not an office gig and usually precludes all social dining.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: Michael
Date: January 13, 2019 07:04PM
Many years ago my wife had a friend who wanted to go to lunch with my wife regularly. The lady spent some unreasonable amount on her lunches every day and her husband did the same. They had equivalent employment/salaries as ours. My wife and I considered this and put together our version of the Latte Factor and calculated just how much they were spending per year on lunches and then calculated that forward. That's when we stopped eating lunches out for anything except extraordinary circumstances. It's paid dividends many times over the years.
Posted by: Carm
Date: January 13, 2019 08:34PM
Wife and I go out 2 times a month. During the week for work, once a month if at all. Usually take a sandwich. My stomach is sensitive to most foods, I’m a simple man.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 13, 2019 10:16PM
Our family eats out a couple of times a week, but rarely if ever for lunch. We always make that. Weekends are different. 9 times outta 10 we arent home on weekends, whether its shopping, errands or some other activity, so we eat out.

TONs of great places to eat wherever we go. Often look at triple D web site to see if there is something close. We also love in-n-out and chick-fil-a -- but only if we cant find anything else, or everyone craves it. Wont eat at any of the other fast food joints. Kids have maybe eaten and McDs a handful of times. Last time I went was late 80s. No TB, BK, CJ, jack, arbys, etc.

Im sure we spend too much. We are OK with it.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: davester
Date: January 13, 2019 11:18PM
Maybe she just doesn't want to talk to you.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 14, 2019 06:10AM
davester
Maybe she just doesn't want to talk to you.

LOL, no she drops off the kid as soon as she gets home, or she calls to invite our kid over.
Posted by: rz
Date: January 14, 2019 07:17AM
Ok, I guess I'm the outlier here. I go out for lunch almost every day. When I'm in the office, I can't stand to stay in the building for lunch. I need to get away for a while. On the weekends, we're usually out doing things, so we just go somewhere. We go out to dinner frequently too. My wife doesn't cook (unless you count heating up leftovers in the microwave). We don't typically have stuff at home to make for lunch except for something like peanut butter.
Date: January 14, 2019 08:11AM
.....no, too expensive.....brown bag it....

Posted by: Acer
Date: January 14, 2019 09:04AM
Out with the wife or family? Maybe once a month, counting ordered-in Chinese or pizza.

Lunch out at work? Only if work is buying, or there's a occasion like a farewell party, or when I'm on the road away from HQ on an assignment. Half a dozen times of year. Otherwise, I treat myself to a burger maybe once a month or so.
Date: January 14, 2019 11:39AM
....here's to the Ladies who lunch......

Posted by: kahuna1342
Date: January 14, 2019 02:54PM
Weekdays, once a week as the nearest restaurants to my workplace are five miles away. Just make it my Friday treat.

Weekends, extremely variable depending on the activities/mood of the rest of the household.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but, three rights make a left.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 14, 2019 03:21PM
rz
Ok, I guess I'm the outlier here. I go out for lunch almost every day. When I'm in the office, I can't stand to stay in the building for lunch. I need to get away for a while. On the weekends, we're usually out doing things, so we just go somewhere. We go out to dinner frequently too. My wife doesn't cook (unless you count heating up leftovers in the microwave). We don't typically have stuff at home to make for lunch except for something like peanut butter.

This was me, too. I couldn't stand the idea if being in the office all day long unless it was pouring or snowing, and even then I sometimes went out.

We, do, however, cook dinner nearly every night.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 89
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020