advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Canon CEO's thoughts on losing market share to iPhone/smartphones
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: January 29, 2019 06:18PM
I have no sympathy for Canon and Nikon. During the DSLR boom, they continuously jacked up prices on their lenses and gear well beyond inflation adjustments. They thought they could ride the DSLR wave forever. Now they are being eaten alive by smartphones.

[www.cultofmac.com]

Canon CEO Fujio Mitarai says the camera market will shrink by almost 50 percent within the next two years.

To survive, Mitarai says Canon, which produced pioneering autofocus gear popular with professional photographers, will shift its focus to corporate customers in fields like surveillance and medical care.

“People usually shoot with smartphones,” Mitarai said in an interview with Nikkei. “The digital camera market will keep falling for about two years. In our company, cameras have declined at around 10 percent a year in the past few years. Professional and amateurs use about 5 to 6 million units. Finally, the market will hit the bottom.”

Canon is a classic cautionary tale of a company too slow to adapt to disruptive technology like the iPhone.

Each generation of iPhone rolled out with better and better cameras. The iPhone 4s was the first decent camera and since then, more and more people have left point-and-shoot and DSLR cameras at home.

No matter the brand, iPhone, Samsung Galaxy or Google Pixel, the smartphone is the camera that is always with you.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Canon CEO's thoughts on losing market share to iPhone/smartphones
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 29, 2019 06:25PM
If only Canon and Nikon had thought to put small computers in their cameras...

...although "smartcamera" doesn't really roll off the tongue, does it?

It is what it is.
Posted by: Winston
Date: January 29, 2019 08:00PM
None of my kids really want any camera other than their iPhones. Wife is about to go to Israel, and I just asked her if she'd like to take the Canon SX-40 we got for her trip to Egypt several years ago. Her response was, "no, I think my iPhone (X) will be enough for what I need".

Years ago we got my daughter a Kodak point & shoot that had a dock. You sat the camera on the dock, and it would automatically upload the photos to your Mac. Of course the camera died (would not turn on at all) after 13 months, and Kodak support was worthless. (One of many reasons Kodak went down the tubes.) But the ease of transferring photos from that camera was really nice.

Why Canon and Nikon haven't had Wifi and/or Bluetooth built into every camera they sell, since, oh, 2004 or 2005, with an automatic connection to computers for uploading, is a mystery. I'd think they had enough volume to do it relatively cheaply.

They may have WiFi on some models now, but I'm not likely to replace my Canon 20D or SX-40 just to get WiFi.

When we were in India a couple of years ago, everyone was AirDropping photos back and forth in our tour bus. Even our tour guide did it for photos he took with his iPhone. Can any Canon or Nikon do that?

I still prefer stand-alone cameras, but I have definitely found it much more of a burden to share photos with others than with an iOS device.

Can probably also make an argument that both Canon and Nikon made a mistake in not offering an easy to use photo sharing/printing/storage site a la iCloud, Google Photos, Amazon Photos, Flickr, etc.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: wowzer
Date: January 29, 2019 10:50PM
Since Nikon is a lens company, I'm surprised that they didn't figure out an easy mount to the iPhones that allowed you to use their lenses. It would be great for some telephoto pictures.

The iPhone panorama software is pretty good so you won't need wide angle lenses, IMO.

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 29, 2019 11:13PM
There’s a market for “real” cameras that can teach photography but makers long ago decided people want Auto. Well guess what? A smartphone is a better Auto camera.

Countless consumers have bought entry-level SLRs and left them, too, on Auto. That’s a bad thing, not a good thing, for makers.

My 12 yr old is with her iPhone a lot. But she wants to know photography, and realizes the phone isn’t cutting it.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 30, 2019 02:15AM
I was out this weekend and took a few pics with my 'Phone.

I hadn't planned on it and the 'Phone is what I had, but there was no zoom.

The process wasn't nearly as satisfying as using an actual camera, but the results were very nice.

But when I enlarged and cropped them, I was impressed with the point and shoot quality.

The 'Phones computational photography is impressive.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: tenders
Date: January 30, 2019 06:32AM
The camera manufacturers missed the boat by waiting too long to make camera/phone and camera/internet interactions super easy and super inexpensive features.

I'm an extremely casual photographer but even I recognize that there is still nothing like a bona fide camera for zoom shots, action shots, and low-light shots. But it is a pain in the neck to get those photos into the work stream of ubiquitous phone camera photos.
Posted by: DP
Date: January 30, 2019 07:04AM
there is still nothing like a bona fide camera for zoom shots, action shots, and low-light shots.

This. But no one prints anymore and 11x14s and 16x20s are a thing of the past. Most see images on their phones or internet, and even magazines' images are no larger than 8x10. Why use a camera?

Advertising is still the exception but we see that changing too.

Resident Cardinal...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: January 30, 2019 07:29AM
I use my iPhone camera a lot, but it is inadequate for many situations. It’s fine for some “snapshot” situations or getting a pics of the cats, but I need a something other than a fixed wide angle for a lot of what I shoot.

The images from my iPhone 7 are better than the ones from my 6.

It isn’t just a resolution issue. My first dSLR was a Pentax *istD S2, which is a 6 megapixel camera. The images are better than what I can get with my 8MP and 12MP phones.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: spacescape
Date: January 30, 2019 07:31AM
I have a Canon T2i that I haven't used in well over 5-6 months... My iPhone 7 does "good enough" for most everything I need... So, I guess I'm "thinking" of dumping the Canon and Lenses soon... sad smiley

Digital SLR still takes great photos and has more of an art feel to it... iPhone not so much.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 30, 2019 08:49AM
Winston- Canon's latest SX40 successor, the SX70, has wifi (and bluetooth), along w/ a bunch of other newer features. Understandable not wanting to upgrade from SX40 however. We have a SX280, which debuted nearly six years ago, that is an almost pocketable, almost superzoom, is a pretty awesome travel camera, that came with wifi. Agree that Canon, Nikon, et al., probably made some marketing errors along the way w/ pricing and feature sets. At least as of now, they seem to be finally getting their act together.

Personally, I think the smartphone camera craze has just tempered most people's desires to have/buy the latest and greatest camera(s), since we all have to upgrade smartphones on a more regular basis. The new phone gives us a better camera each time, that's good for a capturing lot of pics that in the past actually required a separate camera. With the maturing of the standalone camera market, those cameras become viable for a much longer time.

I'm with you on the SX40, I used to get a new superzoom every year or two from the S1 IS in mid 2005 thru the SX40 in fall 2011, which was my 5th superzoom in less than six and a half years... at that point, the smartphone cameras started getting better and better, and the oomph curve past the SX40 had leveled off substantially. The separate camera guys had their time to make hay while the sun was shining. Now the smartphone guys are the gougers. I think the picture taking hardware marketplace is getting pretty close to stabilizing; until the next new "wonder breakthrough" is developed and we get another cycle of price gouging.
==
Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 30, 2019 09:14AM
Taken with a smartphone after getting off the hotel tram a few weeks ago...
The similar shots taken with the "real" camera, are still in the camera on its SD card.

It's gonna be interesting to compare when I finally get around to DL'ing the SD card to the computer.
==
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 30, 2019 10:39AM
I like the fact that you can get restricted depth of field with a "real" camera. Such as with my film cameras. To me, it just looks bizarre when everything is in focus, such as a person who's close, and the building etc. in the background. I know that you can do "blur" layers with Photoslop, but it's extremely time consuming to do in post, and you end up with either in focus, or out of focus, not the gradual going out of focus look that you get with a big sensor. I can always tell when someone has used Photoslop to do this.
Date: January 30, 2019 10:45AM
Buzz
Taken with a smartphone after getting off the hotel tram a few weeks ago...
The similar shots taken with the "real" camera, are still in the camera on its SD card.

One of my annoyances with regular cameras is getting off of a flight in warm and humid location, and immediately having the lens fog up. I like taking arrival photos in a new place, and it's really annoying. Can happen at home in the summer too.

Since I keep my iPhone in my pocket, it doesn't have that problem. When I remember, I try to warm a regular camera near the end of a flight, but with mixed results.

I also note the size and weight issue. I almost never travel with my Canon 20D. (I do wish I'd lugged it to India two years ago instead of our SX 40.) I've got a Sigma 18-200 mm lens for it, but the combination, even if I don't bring any other lenses or my external flash, is heavy. I like traveling with our SX-40, as it doesn't weigh much, but it's still bulky. I've been known to travel with an old Canon SD 600 point and shoot as I have a case with a belt clip for it.

One thing iPhones don't do well, by themselves, is timed shots. You need a holder. I like setting a camera up on the timer for long exposures without flash, say in a cathedral in Europe. My first digital camera, a Canon S110, had a wide enough body to make this fairly easy if I could find a moderately flat spot for it. The SD 600 is too thin for this. I tried a GorillaPod mini, but they are badly engineered and don't work with a camera with an offset tripod mount.

Good luck.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Date: January 30, 2019 10:47AM
freeradical
I like the fact that you can get restricted depth of field with a "real" camera. Such as with my film cameras. To me, it just looks bizarre when everything is in focus, such as a person who's close, and the building etc. in the background. I know that you can do "blur" layers with Photoslop, but it's extremely time consuming to do in post, and you end up with either in focus, or out of focus, not the gradual going out of focus look that you get with a big sensor. I can always tell when someone has used Photoslop to do this.

Isn't that what iPhone Portrait mode is for? My SE doesn't have it, but later iPhones do.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 30, 2019 10:50AM
Winston
freeradical

Isn't that what iPhone Portrait mode is for? My SE doesn't have it, but later iPhones do.

- W

Apparently, but it's still a "binary" effect with no gradual change from in focus to out of focus.
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 30, 2019 12:37PM
freeradical
Winston
freeradical

- W

Apparently, but it's still a "binary" effect with no gradual change from in focus to out of focus.

Eventually people give up on using portrait mode because it involves the step of sliding over to it. Then you have to fiddle with it. It already takes about 30 selfies in order to get one to post.

The camera companies will be fine. It's not necessary for them to have gushing oil wells of profit every year.

Cell phone cameras are fine in good light. They're even ok in good night light. They're bad in bad light. That seems to be the light all the night people use.

It's way easier and faster to grab a DSLR and pop a shot than it is a cell phone. My little RX100 is the business too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 95
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020