advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any thoughts on fixing an old, but never used color laser printer?
Posted by: Winston
Date: January 29, 2019 08:17PM
For a variety of not-very-good reasons, we have a Konica-Minolta magicolor 2430 DL from December 2006 (yes, over 12 years ago) which has never been used. Set it up for the first time last week.

The only thing I can get it to print is a single page "Configuration Page" from the printer's control panel. Anything else, including "Test Pages" from the printer's control panel, causes a "MEDIA JAM - FUSER" error, with a single blank page getting spit out.

There is clearly nothing blocking the fuser, and there aren't cobwebs in the sensor for paper running through it.

Other than giving up, or dropping it a few feet to see if anything re-aligns, any thoughts on a fix?

Thanks.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any thoughts on fixing an old, but never used color laser printer?
Posted by: OWC Jamie
Date: January 29, 2019 08:35PM
Your rollers on the fuser are probably dried out from age / sitting for so many years. I'd try picking up a bottle of rubber rejuvenator and spray / apply it to all the rollers you can get to. Paper jam and paper slipping is the same thing to a printer. Shiny dried out rubber is not sticky. Needs to be to pick up slippery paper. smiling smiley

I picked up a 11x17 Xerox black & white photocopier 25+ years ago that was suffering from the same thing for free. For the cost of a $3 bottle of record player cleaner (same stuff as above) I fixed a $5000 Xerox machine. Used it for a decade LOL.

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2019 08:36PM by OWC Jamie.
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 29, 2019 09:08PM
about 10 years ago I saw an Apple Laser Writer 600 (I think) NEW in local CL. I went to pick it up, box was open so I had doubts the thing was new, but for $10 I bought it anyway.

Brought it home, I got it to print the test page and I think the page counter was about 24. This this was indeed almost brand new. I had similar problems, I could not get it to print more than one page. I think that was a laser unit error. I eventually dumped it. I regret not trying to fix it. I heard those were built like tank, but they sucked a lot of power and I don't know if they would still be supported by modern OSes.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 29, 2019 09:09PM
I probably wouldnt spend any money on it.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: hal
Date: January 29, 2019 09:20PM
jdc

yeah, you'll still have software issues I imagine once the hardware is working
Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 29, 2019 09:35PM
hal
jdc

yeah, you'll still have software issues I imagine once the hardware is working

Nah, they'll just use it w/ all the G3's & G4's... :-)
==
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 30, 2019 03:03AM
Yeah, what Jamie said. Think of old cassette decks for a comparison.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 30, 2019 08:27AM
[www.fixyourownprinter.com]

used them many times to fix a few different printers over the ages.
YMMD.
At the cost of todays printers, I'd prolly ecycle now and buy new. China still has lots of room to bury old electronics.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 30, 2019 09:58AM
Fritz
[www.fixyourownprinter.com]

used them many times to fix a few different printers over the ages.
YMMD.
At the cost of todays printers, I'd prolly ecycle now and buy new. China still has lots of room to bury old electronics.

China stopped buying most waste for recycling, that includes old electronics. So don't depend on that as a destination.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 30, 2019 10:14AM
JoeH
China stopped buying most waste for recycling, that includes old electronics. So don't depend on that as a destination.

guess we can count out Joisey too since they have changed guvnuhs.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Winston
Date: January 30, 2019 01:05PM
OWC Jamie
Your rollers on the fuser are probably dried out from age / sitting for so many years. I'd try picking up a bottle of rubber rejuvenator and spray / apply it to all the rollers you can get to. Paper jam and paper slipping is the same thing to a printer. Shiny dried out rubber is not sticky. Needs to be to pick up slippery paper. smiling smiley

I picked up a 11x17 Xerox black & white photocopier 25+ years ago that was suffering from the same thing for free. For the cost of a $3 bottle of record player cleaner (same stuff as above) I fixed a $5000 Xerox machine. Used it for a decade LOL.

Good suggestion. I previously removed the fuser unit to inspect it and its paper sensor (had to remove the transfer roller first), and the rollers didn't seem particularly dry.

I just looked at the rollers I can get to with the top open, and all seem OK. The paper pickup uses two small foam rubber rollers (the smallest ones in the printer), and paper pickup doesn't seem to be an issue. The main roller in the fuser unit is a non-foam rubber which is a bit slick, but shows no signs of deterioration. It feels similar to what a diving mask is made of, or maybe silicone rubber.

A printer repair site indicates that the "slick" roller I saw was probably the fuser sleeve:
[www.brokenprinter.com]
"(printers) now use a sleeve that resembles camera film and the sleeve has teflon coatings on it which causes the toner not to stick . . ."

May still try some rubber rejuvenator, but I don't think I should spray it on the fuser sleeve.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 125
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020