advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Time Machine error message: "must create a new backup"
Posted by: Winston
Date: January 29, 2019 08:25PM
Last week my MacBook Pro's Time Machine lost sync with the backup I have on an external drive connected to a Time Capsule. I was getting error messages that it couldn't complete the backup.

Then a few days ago, I started getting this message:

"Time Machine completed a verification of your backups on “Library Time Capsule II”. To improve reliability, Time Machine must create a new backup for you.
Click Start New Backup to create a new backup. This will remove your existing backup history. This could take several hours.
Click Back Up Later to be reminded tomorrow. Time Machine won’t perform backups during this time."

I put it off for a day or two while an Amazon Photos backup was completing, then did the "Start New Backup". At 160 GB of 820 GB right now. The Mac is connected via Ethernet, but the Time Capsule only has USB 2, so it's a slow connection.

Time Machine appears to have deleted the previous backup. The previous backup showed up in Time Machine, and everything seemed to be available. No trouble mounting the external drive on my Mac.

This is in addition to Time Machine NOT using the backup I'd cloned over from the Time Capsule. So now I have one backup up to late last fall, and another starting with today. I assume there is no way to combine them.

Time Machine being so opaque is not fun. Beginning to think I should give up on Time Machine entirely, and use Carbon Copy Cloner instead.

- Winston

------------------------
Be seeing you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2019 08:25PM by Winston.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Time Machine error message: "must create a new backup"
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: January 29, 2019 08:50PM
Sometimes when the network connection gets interrupted, the Time Machine sparseimage on a network-backup gets corrupt. So, it gets tossed and rebuilt.

Sometimes, the backup gets corrupt for other reasons. If it occurs once or twice, no big deal. If you see the prompt to start a new backup repeatedly then the backup drive is probably going bad.

Posted by: testcase
Date: January 29, 2019 08:52PM
That's happened to me several times over the last few years. I have NO idea WHY it happens and, have never been able to figure out why it happens. I eventually set up my MBP (w/ 1TB SSD) to do a new Time Machine Back Up before I'd go to bed. In the morning, My new TM backup was then ready and, I'd be OK for a long time before it happened again. "It just works" has left the building (a LOOOOONG time ago).
Posted by: DewGuy
Date: January 29, 2019 09:00PM
Maybe this site will be of help:

Time Machine - Troubleshooting
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 29, 2019 10:55PM
Thanks for that link DewGuy!
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 30, 2019 12:05AM
.....so back that 'thang.....up.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 30, 2019 08:29AM
I gave up on TM. Too many "huhs?".
CCC is my pal. $40 and works consistently.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Winston
Date: January 30, 2019 11:45AM
DewGuy - Also thanks for the link. Some of it is out of date (Time Machine Buddy, for example, can't be found), but there is a lot of interesting info.

Now the Time Machine icon in the menu bar says "Backing up: 1.3 MB of 621.80 GB" and appears hung up. Finder Get Info says the MBP's drive has 783.8 GB used. Hmm. Does not appear that it completed the first (new) backup that I mentioned in the original post, as the Sparse Disk Image Bundle for this backup is 8 KB.

This is also odd: The Time Capsule itself has three backups on it (mine, wife's, son's). The others look OK, but mine shows:
Sparse Disk Image Bundle - 1.21 TB
Created: Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 5:50 pm
Modified: Saturday, October 16, 2021 at 7:18 am
Last Opened: Saturday, October 16, 2021 at 7:18 am

The clone of my Time Capsule backup made to the external drive connected to the Time Capsule (which Time Machine has not used) shows:
Sparse Disk Image Bundle - 1.22 TB
Created: Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 5:50 pm
Modified: Saturday, December 28, 2018 at 5:50 pm
Last Opened: Saturday, December 28, 2018 at 5:50 pm

The clone was done with CCC with the Time Capsule connected via ethernet, and the external drive by USB 3.0.

In the Finder, I can open both the Time Capsule backup and the clone to the external drive. Both appear to be OK.

Might be time to do a verification on the external drive. It's an 8 TB WD EasyStore. This is its first use, but I got it about a year ago. Will also do a restart on the Time Capsule, which initiates a repair algorithm.

- W

------------------------
Be seeing you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 105
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020