advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Recommend a dumb-simple security camera system for my mom?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 03, 2019 03:49PM
There have been some break-ins in my mom's community.

She'd like 3 cameras set up at the front (maybe a doorbell-cam), side and rear of her house, all part of the same system and viewable from the same app on her iPhone.

She's not technologically sophisticated, but would like doorbell/motion alerts going to her iPhone.

I have a system in my own home, no doorbell cam. Changing the batteries in each unit every few months and rebooting the base-unit twice a year when it stops talking to the cameras is a piece of cake for me, but I suspect it'd be difficult for my mom especially as the battery door tends to stick.

I thought that I might refer her to her alarm-company since they should have some expertise in the field, but it looks like they're about a decade behind in technology and charge a small fortune for the additional service. Similarly, her cable company offers security services, but it turns out that they outsource to a local contractor and reviews of their services are nothing but complaints about non-functioning equipment and pass-the-buck between the cable company and the contractor.

Any suggestions for a very simple and easy multiple-camera system for an elderly woman?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Recommend a dumb-simple security camera system for my mom?
Posted by: GGD
Date: February 03, 2019 03:55PM
Have you check out Wyze? Cheap and easy to use, but require a power source (Micro USB power).

[forums.macresource.com]
[forums.macresource.com]
[forums.macresource.com]

If you have a MicroCenter near you, they stock them, and also sell low priced MicroSD cards at the check-out register.
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 03, 2019 03:56PM
I like my Wyze cam but then this is the only cam I have and I have no idea how it compares to others.

But, you are the tech expert here on the forum, so I would expect YOU to answer questions like this, LOL.

I think Robert M. has a business and he tested many cameras, so you may send a PM to him.

Good luck, let us know what you find out.
Posted by: Golfer
Date: February 03, 2019 04:04PM
I installed three Lorex systems at work, once set-up and running they are fairly simple to operate from phone, pc, or stand alone. The systems I installed would be way over-kill but they offer smaller solutions.
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 03, 2019 04:46PM
Ive seen some decent reviews on Blink. 2 year battery, indoor and outdoor models. Theres a 3 camera starter set for $250. Its not an "alarm system" -- if thats what you are looking for.

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 03, 2019 05:13PM
Wyze is very affordable and simple but does need power and a wifi signal. There is no battery backup unless you route the power through a UPS. If the power does go out, the camera will restart automatically and connect to the cloud without doing anything.

The pan/tilt camera is $30 (non-pan is $20), but you will also need a wall mount and outdoor cover, plus longer USB cables and SD cards. So three cameras plus the parts will cost about $160

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: February 03, 2019 05:46PM
Ring would cost you about $750 for a video doorbell and two solar powered wireless cameras, then $100/year for video storage.
Posted by: Carm
Date: February 03, 2019 06:09PM
I like the Ring setup, easy to use. Setup my in laws with two cameras, doorbell and a garage. They have access on their phones, PC/Mac and iPad. I am also able to view and get alerts. Super simple setup, I got the wired versions, no battery issues. Initial cost $200 per camera for wired is the only downside. $30 per year per camera until you get to 4 then you pay $100 a year. At my house I have a combo. Ring outdoors and Wyze inside, watching frenchdoor and one watching doggy door.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2019 06:11PM by Carm.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: February 03, 2019 06:12PM
i’m currently using Ring, Wyze, Nest, and simplisafe to monitor a house. (don’t ask. it’s complicated.) if money were an issue wyze would suffice. Ring or Nest have a lot of options but at a price. if i had to choose i’d go with Ring. i believe Nest or Ring can refer to a local installer.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: February 03, 2019 06:51PM
graylocks
i’m currently using Ring, Wyze, Nest, and simplisafe to monitor a house. (don’t ask. it’s complicated.) if money were an issue wyze would suffice. Ring or Nest have a lot of options but at a price. if i had to choose i’d go with Ring. i believe Nest or Ring can refer to a local installer.

I ask. Please do tell.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 03, 2019 06:56PM
Nest would run $125/year for the four devices described. We're contemplating Wyze after the recent publicity around here.
==
Posted by: graylocks
Date: February 03, 2019 08:10PM
space-time
graylocks

I ask. Please do tell.

i’m traveling and posting from my phone so i’ll be succinct. i was so taken with my wyze camera that i bought my brother two for his birthday. took them over to his house. he had died in the night. his estate is now my responsibility. i put the cams up to monitor his front door and living room. a friend lent me a pair of Nest outdoor cams she wasn’t using. i set those up outside. his alarm system monitoring was $50 a month for the service and $50 a month for his landline. ( yikes, bro! really?) i was planning on replacing my aging alarm system with Simplisafe so i went ahead and bought it but installed it at my brothers house until i sell it sometime this spring. the simplisafe BF deal came with a free indoor cam that i set up in his garage.

then, the nest cam watching the rear of the property was stolen and his shed broken into. a number of sheds on his block got hit that same night. so i got a Ring floodlight motion detector cam for that area. and lastly there was a promo on Nest so i bought a replacement outdoor cam (my friend does expect them back) which i also have watching the rear of the property but from inside my brothers enclosed porch . night vision is off since it’s behind glass but it dovetails nicely with the ring floodlights.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2019 08:12PM by graylocks.
Date: February 03, 2019 08:20PM
Wow, thanks for follow up. And once again sorry about your brother.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 04, 2019 06:24AM
Thank you!

This was just what I needed to narrow down the field.

Posted by: Spiff
Date: February 04, 2019 10:37AM
I have Arlo self-instsalled in my home. Great system. I know it gets some negative reviews, but for me it has been rock solid so far. I have yet to recharge batteries (going on over 3 months), and they are all reading about half full.

Wifi is needed, but easy to set up. Installation is a breeze. The app on the iPhone is easy, too. It has motion detection and will alert your iPhone if you have that checked. I don't, so the batteries are lasting longer. I only check that when we are out of town. I'd go the with Arlo Pro for good video, don't need the latest 4K video offering. That's probably only needed in... ahh, well, not sure when that's needed.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 11, 2019 01:55PM
Sarcany,

The number of cams you're looking at will provide incomplete coverage. If you really want coverage of the front door, sides and back of a house, you need three cams for the front (including the doorbell cam), two cams for each side and two or three cams for the back. Two for cross-coverage, three for cross coverage and fisheye looking down over a door. That may prove a bit too complex and expensive for the purpose, even if you purchased a hardwired cam system such as one of the Swann units sold at Costco.

I'd definitely go with a Ring video doorbell of some kind for the front door. They are great as long as she's got very strong wifi. My parents have them, I have one and one of my brothers has one. Love'im! You can add to the system easily whether it's with indoor cams, outdoor cams and even a security system. Ring products are Alexa friendly, which shouldn't come as a surprise since Ring is owned by Amazon. Strong wifi is a must, though.

How are the windows located? You might be able to get away with very basic side and back coverage with wyzecams. Just stick a cam on the windowsill and point it out the window. the viability of the coverage is dependent on the number and location of windows and how easily it is to point a wyzecam out the window on an angle.

The other option is to start with the doorbell and then slowly build on a Ring system one component at a time. The problem is the cams aren't cheap. However, the cams have a solar option, which makes swapping batteries unnecessary. That's actually very cool.

My office has a combination system. We have a hardwired Swann based system. We have the DVr hardwired to an LED TV located in our office. Although we can view the system on our phones easily, we only do it on an as necessary basis. As a backup, I have a wyzecam in the garage, the front hall and point at our backdoor. These were installed when our original Swan DVR crapped out. I never bothered taking them down once I installed a new DVR.

So, we have the option of viewing the Swann cams if we want to see the outside of the building and/or both the Swann cams and the wyzecams for key places inside the building. The swann system was basic and cheap. Still needed someone to hardwire it.

At some point, we may replace our existing alarm system at the office with a Ring alarm system.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 99
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020