advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Batteries are so yesterday...Tesla drops $200million on Maxwell Technologies
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: February 04, 2019 05:26PM
Tesla has acquired Maxwell Technologies, maker of ultracapacitors.
[electrek.co]

Capacitors can charge and discharge VERY rapidly and endure millions of cycles before degrading. Ultracapacitors are almost a replacement for LiPo batteries, but lack the energy density. A hybrid power cell with ultracapacitors and LiPo batteries would be a potent combination.

Here is a video about a competitor to Maxwell.
[www.youtube.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Batteries are so yesterday...Tesla drops $200million on Maxwell Technologies
Posted by: dad@home
Date: February 04, 2019 05:49PM
The speculation on Tesla Motors Club forums is that the "real" reason that Elon bought Maxwell is an offshoot technology of their ultracapacitor work.
Apparently they have developed an dry electrolyte that could enable Li batteries to have increased energy density, longer life and reduced cost of manufacturing.....Nice!

edit: found a link to a maxwell paper explaining the tech [www.powersourcesconference.com]

But a combo Li battery and bank of ultracapacitors working together would be great too.

John
(Tesla Model S 85D owner)

For some must watch, while some must sleep
So runs the world away

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2019 06:04PM by dad@home.
Re: Batteries are so yesterday...Tesla drops $200million on Maxwell Technologies
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 04, 2019 08:10PM
Tesla will be bankrupt by the end of the year. I said so last year and the year before and I’m saying it again.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: February 05, 2019 07:54AM
Speedy
Tesla will be bankrupt by the end of the year. I said so last year and the year before and I’m saying it again.

Electric cars were a novelty 100 years ago and they'll probably still be a novelty 100 years into the future.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: February 05, 2019 08:48AM
I think Sir Speedy was just being facetious...
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 05, 2019 09:16AM
Carnos Jax

Wait, he loses his leaves in winter??

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: February 05, 2019 10:32AM
bobinmurphy
Speedy

Electric cars were a novelty 100 years ago and they'll probably still be a novelty 100 years into the future.

True, but 120 years ago EVs ruled the auto world, and right now they're starting to reclaim the throne. Below are stats from Cleantechnica about Tesla. That's one company. GM is switching all of their cars to EVs. Ford is partnering with VW to do almost the same. VW is switching most, if not all, of their cars to EVs. I get that there are pockets of the country that aren't seeing the change, but it's coming very quickly.

Cleantechnica:

Tesla, 6 years after producing its first mass-produced car, had the #1 top selling luxury vehicle of any class in the US in 2018 — the first time an American car company has had that honor in decades.
Tesla sales grew 3,679% from 2,400 in the 4th quarter of 2012 to 90,700 in the 4th quarter of 2018.
Stunningly, Tesla had the 4th best selling car in the US in December and the 5th best selling car in the 4th quarter, despite the fact that it was a relatively expensive luxury car. It was actually the only luxury car in the top 17.
The Tesla Model 3 was the top selling car in the US from an American car company in December and in the 4th quarter.
Tesla heavily outsold Jaguar and Porsche globally in the 4th quarter, almost selling more than both of them combined.
The Tesla Model 3 accounted for 32% of all small + midsize luxury car sales in the US in December.
Tesla’s two sedans, the Model 3 and Model S, are the two safest cars in the USA according to NHTSA scores and totally crush their class competition in terms of sales as well.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2019 10:33AM by ztirffritz.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 05, 2019 11:43AM
Who knew, when installing banks of hi-cap capacitors in the trunk of their cars, that this might be used to actually fuel a car and not just pad the electrical supply to an audio system.

It'll be interesting to see the next steps in battery tech.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Wags
Date: February 05, 2019 06:18PM
Paul F.
Carnos Jax

Wait, he loses his leaves in winter??

I think you're confusing facetious with endogenous.
Posted by: parsaplenty
Date: February 05, 2019 06:25PM
I think maybe "deciduous"?
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: February 05, 2019 08:37PM
Lol
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 118
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020