advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
FU: My Mac Mini and Me part II: Attack of the Clones
Posted by: Jerry®
Date: February 05, 2019 07:38PM
So, I now have it where I am working off my backup drive which is now ALSO backed up. But it's acting weird: unusual shutdowns especially after it goes to sleep. One thing my mini does now since the internal drive failed is upon startup from my backup I get the message "...your drive was unable to be read do you want to initialize it?" (or something to that effect). I wonder if I should try to initialize it?? Apparently it knows it's hosed so why not?

This is a followup to

http://forums.macresource.com/read.php?1,2334692

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: FU: My Mac Mini and Me part II: Attack of the Clones
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 05, 2019 07:57PM
Jerry®
So, I now have it where I am working off my backup drive which is now ALSO backed up. But it's acting weird: unusual shutdowns especially after it goes to sleep. One thing my mini does now since the internal drive failed is upon startup from my backup I get the message "...your drive was unable to be read do you want to initialize it?" (or something to that effect). I wonder if I should try to initialize it?? Apparently it knows it's hosed so why not?

If your data was unrecoverable from the bad internal HD, no reason not to have some fun and try to initialize it. (If you can successfully erase the drive, don't trust any data to it.)

Not sure about the unexpected shutdowns. Sometimes a bad drive can cause stuff like that to occur, but it's way more likely that something else is wrong. Your mini may be on the way out. You can try doing an Apple Hardware Test by holding the "D" key on the keyboard immediately after the boot-chime on a restart.

Posted by: space-time
Date: February 05, 2019 09:33PM
So, I now have it where I am working off my backup drive which is now ALSO backed up.

let me put this as gentle as I can.

YOU HAVE NO BACKUP
Date: February 06, 2019 03:08PM
space-time
So, I now have it where I am working off my backup drive which is now ALSO backed up.

let me put this as gentle as I can.

YOU HAVE NO BACKUP

I have no backup? To my failed internal drive? The drive I am working from IS CLONED AND IS A BACKUP. It really upsets me when I get replies like this especially when I'm coming here for help. So thanks for nothing.

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: February 06, 2019 04:12PM
Jerry®
I have no backup? To my failed internal drive? The drive I am working from IS CLONED AND IS A BACKUP. It really upsets me when I get replies like this especially when I'm coming here for help. So thanks for nothing.

Actually, if you're booting from it and working off of it then it's your primary, not your backup anymore.

Unless you're backing up that "backup" drive to another drive, you have no backup.

Date: February 06, 2019 05:05PM
my deepest apologies.

I was wrong

I read your sentence "So, I now have it where I am working off my backup drive which is now ALSO backed up" as "which is ALSO my backup".

@#$%& like this happens when I don't pay attention. sometimes the brain plays tricks on you. I am sorry.
Date: February 06, 2019 05:31PM
space-time
my deepest apologies.

I was wrong

I read your sentence "So, I now have it where I am working off my backup drive which is now ALSO backed up" as "which is ALSO my backup".

@#$%& like this happens when I don't pay attention. sometimes the brain plays tricks on you. I am sorry.[/quI I
understand and accept your apology. Same happens to me sometimes. I appreciate it.

Date: February 06, 2019 05:31PM
I understand and I accept your apology. Same happens to me from time to time. I appreciate your help.

space-time
my deepest apologies.

I was wrong

@#$%& like this happens when I don't pay attention. sometimes the brain plays tricks on you. I am sorry.

Date: February 06, 2019 07:27PM
well apparently I wasn't helpful at all

<turning around and walking sheepishly looking down>
Posted by: Rolando
Date: February 06, 2019 10:56PM
It takes a strong man to admit he's wrong! I applaud you, s-t!smileys with beer

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: February 06, 2019 11:19PM
Ah So you don't like me either. OK. Bye.

Rolando

Date: February 06, 2019 11:23PM
I always thought this was a helpful place free from judgment. Apparently not.

Rolando

Posted by: Rolando
Date: February 07, 2019 01:10PM
Jerry®
I always thought this was a helpful place free from judgment. Apparently not.

Rolando

I will gladly admit I can be a sarcastic a-hole, and I saw you are running off a backup with a backup! You're a smart guy Jerry! I hope we're cool!

BTW As a tell my kids, a "judgement" is just an opinion you don't like (but you suspect is correct)!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 78
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020