advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Credit Karma - taxes
Posted by: Mactel
Date: February 05, 2019 09:46PM
I got an email from Credit Karma about how you can now do your taxes through them. I usually use Taxcut or the H&R Block one (TurboTax, I think). Has anyone here actually used Credit Karma for your taxes? Not sure I trust switching to them but if people have had positive experiences here ...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Credit Karma - taxes
Posted by: wurm
Date: February 05, 2019 10:28PM
I recall considering it last year, but remember reading a thread here on the forum that convinced me otherwise.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 05, 2019 10:34PM
How complicated are your taxes? If you don't have much in investments it might be worth a try.

Posted by: graylocks
Date: February 05, 2019 11:02PM
my son has used them for two years but his return is simple. when i tried it a few years ago they weren’t about to handle my schedule c’s well so i’ve stuck with TaxAct.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: PizzaGod
Date: February 06, 2019 03:41AM
I wasn't happy with TurboTax and went to TaxAct-but my Sched C seemed to outstrip what they could offer so last year and this year it was TaxSlayer.

Return accepted on the 22nd-which surprised me. Refund scheduled for this week. The only cropper is the state shows filed but not accepted. I've called Taxslayer 3 times-and got a live person in the US within 3 minutes all 3 times.

We'll see.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: February 06, 2019 07:00AM
I've used them the last two years.

I usually do my return on TurboTax as well to double-check. You don't have to pay unless you use TT to file.

The first year, Credit Karma was giving me a bigger refund, so I filed with them.

I do have investments and dividend income, but I don't trade a lot. CK is a little more labor intensive. TT will auto import my 1099s. CK was manual entry. But I think they are improving. This year, it auto-imported my W2 from a PDF.

Also, this is the first year that CK "remembered" my data (name, SSN, dependents, etc) from last year, so I don't have to enter it all again.

Still waiting on my 1099 for 2018.
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 06, 2019 07:40AM
we have 4 W2s (we both changes jobs), several 1099 (int) and one 1098 (mortgage), 2 kids, several a HSA and a FSA, and a K-1. I asked my accountant and she wants $420-480. It is a little more than last year (I think it was $270) but what the heck, I think she knows what she's doing better than I would do it myself.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 135
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020