This slim wireless mechanical keyboard for the Mac almost gets it right
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 13, 2019 07:25PM
[www.theverge.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: This slim wireless mechanical keyboard for the Mac almost gets it right
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: February 13, 2019 07:29PM
The most important thing is how a keyboard makes it feel to type, and the K1 just doesn’t feel right.

next!

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 13, 2019 07:35PM
I guess that site has never heard of Matias.

[matias.ca]
Posted by: Gareth
Date: February 13, 2019 07:45PM
freeradical
I guess that site has never heard of Matias.

[matias.ca]

I would like a Bluetooth Mechanical Keyboard with Mac Layout and a 10-key keypad. I actually e-mail Matias about this a few years ago, to which they responded they'd be releasing a bluetooth keyboard the next year, but I think that was the "Apple" style keyboard.

They do have a mechanical keypad-less BT keyboard now.

But what I really want is a bluetooth version of the 60% keyboard with a matching keypad add-on. But I guess that product is in limbo since I mentioned it in my email a few years ago and it still looks like a "KickStarter" style pre-order...
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 13, 2019 08:41PM
Its missing the number pad.

My apple AL is slowing dying... space bar is sticking... bought a matias wired one thats similar... but it just feels cheap. Keys are hard plastic, not soft like apples.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 14, 2019 06:24AM
Hi everyone,

There are so many things wrong with the article _and_ they keyboard. Comments like, "The blue switches are very clicky and noisy, sounding like a million little mouse clicks as I type out word after word. I’m also not a fan of the tactile style. I much prefer a linear-style switch that has smooth travel all the way through and a far less annoying sound."

Uh... It's a mechanical keyboard. It's going to be noisy. Even the quietest mechanical model is noisy in comparison to non-mechanical keyboards that are commonplace these days.

I glanced at the rest of the article but that statement told me The Verge should've given this article to someone else since the author clearly lacks the qualifications necessary to write about mechanical keyboards. Just my opinion. smiling smiley

Robert
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: February 14, 2019 08:22AM
I tried the Matias ergo board; loved it, when it worked. It had a myriad of issues with repeating keys or dropped keystrokes. There are boards (ha) that discuss it and the reviews on Amazon echo (double ha) the same problem.

Happy to see so many boards dropping the number pad altogether. YMMV, of course, but my old favorite board was the MS Natural Ergo or whatever they called it. Smooth action, comfortable to use, but that friggin' never-used-by-me number pad made travel to the trackball a pain, literally.

I get that some need it, but I do like that there are options for it, one way or the other.

Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 14, 2019 08:44AM
Zoid,

I use the numeric pad on the extended keyboard multiple times each day. Unlike you, I'm not happy at all to see keyboard manufacturers dropping them. Heck, I use it often enough I bought a one to use with laptops.

Robert
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 14, 2019 10:58AM
de gustibus non disputandem est. I think my most favorite keyboard ever was on a Honeywell punch card machine. I could make that sucker fly.

Currently using an obsolete Dell keyboard. I have a spare at home. I'm used to the touch and spacing of the keys.

I also know OWC Larry has a bunch of spare Extended Keyboard II (ADB) that he prefers to use.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: February 15, 2019 09:04AM
Robert M
Zoid,

I use the numeric pad on the extended keyboard multiple times each day. Unlike you, I'm not happy at all to see keyboard manufacturers dropping them. Heck, I use it often enough I bought a one to use with laptops.

Robert

As said; YMMV. I get that, and I understand why so many people want/need them -- but I'd still say the overwhelming majority of manufacturers either still offer them or still have multiple offerings that include them.

And I have a couple -- wired and wireless. They work great; I usually haul them out around tax time. The bulk of my workflow, however, doesn't need that big piece of real estate to be taken up between my board and my trackball, so I'm happy there are options w/o it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 106
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020