The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
February 16, 2000: Pismo PowerBook unleashed upon the public
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: February 16, 2019 11:16AM

Ah, memories.

[www.cultofmac.com]

February 16, 2000: Apple introduces the “Pismo” PowerBook, the best of its G3 laptops. In the view of many, it’s one of Apple’s best laptops ever.

The Pismo PowerBook is the first not to include SCSI or an Apple Desktop Bus connector. Instead, it utilizes USB and Apple’s Emmy award-winning FireWire. Optional AirPort wireless support, tremendous battery life and a gorgeous curvy design just make it better.

Apple first showed off the Pismo PowerBook at Macworld Expo Tokyo. The laptop followed the rugged “Wallstreet” G3 PowerBook, released in 1998. Priced at $3,499 for the top-end 500MHz model, the Pismo PowerBook wasn’t cheap. However, it offered great value compared to the 292MHz Wallstreet laptop, which cost $5,600.

There was plenty to love about the Pismo PowerBook. Despite coming after Steve Jobs returned to Apple, it retained much of the expandability the company introduced to Macs during his absence.

Running counter to Apple’s modern obsession with limiting expandability and ditching ports whenever possible, the Pismo PowerBook came with a PC Card slot, two FireWire and USB slots, S-video out and more. The laptop also supported plenty of additional memory and a faster processor.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2019 11:16AM by pRICE cUBE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: February 16, 2000: Pismo PowerBook unleashed upon the public
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 16, 2019 12:09PM
Definitely a classic.

Posted by: sekker
Date: February 16, 2019 12:48PM
Wow, got a lot of years out of my Pismo.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: February 16, 2019 12:57PM
LOL I came here to post this Pismo link! What a great machine. Still have mine on which I wrote a good portion of my book. I should fire it up and see what time capsule prizes it yields.
Posted by: kledo
Date: February 16, 2019 12:58PM
Still use mine from time to time for OS 9 software. Anyone know where to get a PRAM battery for it?

--Kledo
Posted by: testcase
Date: February 16, 2019 02:31PM
sekker
Wow, got a lot of years out of my Pismo.

Same here. With several upgrades, my Pismo was viable for ~ 9 years. My Pismo had 1GB of RAM at a time when Windows based machines couldn't even dream of that. Being able to swap out batteries (and various drives as well as a good array of useable ports) made the Pismo a real workhorse. I think if Apple released a similar laptop today, they wouldn't be able to keep them in stock. Thin is certainly NOT everything. old fogey smiley
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: February 16, 2019 04:21PM
Where can you get a new battery for one of these in 2019? I have 3 batteries from eBay that don't even pretend to hold a charge.
Posted by: DP
Date: February 16, 2019 05:05PM
So sweet when you could lift off the keyboard and change memory, etc., right now!

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: testcase
Date: February 16, 2019 05:38PM
S. Pupp
Where can you get a new battery for one of these in 2019? I have 3 batteries from eBay that don't even pretend to hold a charge.

Back in the day, I remember seeing videos showing a Pismo battery being "rebuilt". Pismo batteries were basically loaded with LiIon AA batteries. A little time on Google should show you how it's done.
Posted by: stephen
Date: February 17, 2019 09:15AM
Loved it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 158
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020