advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Out of place
Posted by: Golfer
Date: February 21, 2019 05:42PM
Our little country town finally got a Starbucks in our newly remodeled Hy-Vee grocery store. I can't stand coffee or anything related to it, but my wife loves their drinks so while I was taking her car for a gas & wash she asked me to stop there. I'm not sure why, but I've never felt more like an out-of-place country hick in my life as I stood in line. The local young'uns where everywhere!! old fogey smiley
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Out of place
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 21, 2019 05:51PM
Golfer,

I feel the same way but for a different reason. The rare time I go to Starbucks, it's to get a cup of plain ol' joe. No fancy shmancy drinks with names that serve as tongue twisters. I get the feeling people are looking at me as if I'm out of my mind and positively out of place because I had the audacity to get a plain ol' boring cup of coffee.

Robert
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: February 21, 2019 06:03PM
I have a friend who makes me stop at every Starbucks when we go on a road trip. She even makes me go across town and out of the way. It really offends me and makes me despise Starbucks people more every time.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 21, 2019 06:04PM
Someday I'll have to visit a Starbucks to see what the big deal is.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 21, 2019 06:10PM
....what.....the.......buck.......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Rolando
Date: February 21, 2019 07:08PM
Not a big 'bucks fan, but on a hot afternoon, a cold brew is great!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: February 21, 2019 07:13PM
Never been in a SB but I had a neighbor who was an assistant mgr.
The work stories she used to tell were a hoot. She also did not speak
kindly about her customers. Words like @holes, losers, pompous, morons,
and arrogant were in abundant use.
Sadly she moved away after getting her MS degree and went to MIT for
her doctorate; DARPA Grant all the way!

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Date: February 21, 2019 07:23PM
....they are convenient because you can find one every 2 blocks......

Posted by: lost in space
Date: February 21, 2019 07:26PM
I was in a SB with my 24 yo daughter and had to ask her what to call just plain coffee. She said an Americano. I rolled my eyes and she understood completely.

Posted by: jdc
Date: February 21, 2019 07:40PM
Speedy
Someday I'll have to visit a Starbucks to see what the big deal is.

Someday I'll have to drink coffee and see what the big deal is.... LOL, whO am I kidding... barf smiley

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: gabester
Date: February 21, 2019 07:54PM
I don't drink coffee, but I can understand the disdain for those who feel the need to frequent Starbucks regularly. I'm somewhat concerned about the young kids who spend time there, seems like an all too easy slippery slope into the caffeine dependency cycle.

That said, they have pretty good demographers who seem to know when to move into a neighborhood. It's a sign you've got sufficient economic prosperity when you get a Starbucks in your community.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: February 21, 2019 11:10PM
lost in space
I was in a SB with my 24 yo daughter and had to ask her what to call just plain coffee. She said an Americano. I rolled my eyes and she understood completely.

your daughter is misinformed and passed the bad info on to you. if your want a plain coffee just say brewed coffee or even just, a cup of coffee please. all the bux hate hype really is quite overstated.

btw, an americano is shots of espresso and water. looks like plain coffee but it's a different process. we serve both.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: February 21, 2019 11:17PM
.....yeah, you can ask for just coffee.....what's up with all the haterade........??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2019 11:28PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 21, 2019 11:48PM
Kind of amazed at the folks who have never been in an sbux. I guess if you don't drink coffee..But it's also just a place to meet or kill time waiting on some stuff.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: February 22, 2019 12:35AM

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Sam3
Date: February 22, 2019 05:01AM
I'm not allowed to drink caffeine, so I can only drink decaf coffee. Starbucks is the only place that has a decaf that I like, that doesn't taste all chemically. I rarely get their foo-foo drinks, and I don't feel that I'm looked at weirdly for only getting a plain coffee. Most of the time I get a pour-over, as the majority of SB don't brew decaf in the afternoon, and some smaller Starbucks don't ever brew decaf. So it's a double-win for me, as the pour-over tastes much better.

As graylocks stated, just ask for a coffee. But even then you usually have a choice to make, as they typically have a couple of brewed coffees ready, usually their house brand Pike's Place and a specialty one, either a single origin dark roast or a lighter Veranda blend.
Date: February 22, 2019 09:25AM
....yes, they offer usually a light blend coffee and a dark blend......by afternoon the dark is always gone.....

Posted by: graylocks
Date: February 22, 2019 10:00AM
NewtonMP2100
....yes, they offer usually a light blend coffee and a dark blend......by afternoon the dark is always gone.....

three roasts and decaf are only offered ready brewed in the morning unless the store is in a market with an extremely high demand for brewed coffee. after 12 only pike is brewed regularly and bold, light, and decaf are available as individually made pour overs.

random sbux fact: the demand for iced coffee is so high in the northeast that it is the only area of the country where decaf iced coffee is available. the rest of the country doesn't carry it and can't even order it if they wanted to offer it.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: February 22, 2019 11:00AM
....only meant to indicate that dark roast seems to be the most popular.....

Posted by: deckeda
Date: February 22, 2019 11:04AM
I felt the same way the first time I stepped into the local feed store. So many new gadgets and products never before seen in auto parts stores or coffee shops.

Best thing about Starbucks is that they’ve popularized the coffee shop. It’s like being able to chill out in a library, only you can talk and the place smells better. And the coffee’s better, too. Sort of like those places that used to sell “books.”
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 22, 2019 03:27PM
Me: Hi, I'd like a Venti Dark Roast (or Venti Dark)
Barista: Would you like room for cream?
Me: A little

alt:
Barista: We don't have dark right now, would Pike be okay?
Me: Yeah, thats fine
Date: February 22, 2019 03:49PM
...happens all the time.....do love the dark roast though.....

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: February 22, 2019 08:32PM
Only time I drink Starbucks is when visiting Disney. I prefer Dunkin’ , but Starbucks is the only good coffee at Disney. Added bonus is that their coffee isn’t marked up 5000% there. Iced coffee only for me.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: $tevie
Date: February 23, 2019 01:26AM
I simply ask for a small, medium, or large coffee in Starbucks and I get what I ask for. I've never had a Starbucks server give a damn that I didn't say Venti or Grande or whatever.

The closest Starbucks to me is very nice, and the employees are very nice.

We have a locally-owned coffee shop where the employees have very bad attitudes. I would blame management of the shop if the servers are not nice, not the logo on the front door.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 99
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020