advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
TV Guide (the free signal on cable)
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 21, 2007 08:04AM
Hi, I have a Panasonic DVR (hard drive + DVD) which uses this free TV Guide signal on cable to download the listings and then you select what you want to watch, record, etc.

It worked fine in CT, I lost the listings maybe once in 6 months. Then I moved to NJ and over the past 6 months it lost the listing almost every week, sometimes even 2-3 times a week. Very annoying, and the pain is that you have to leave the thing off almost 24 ours to download the schedule.

I guess calling Comcast for support is futile, since they will try to sell me their DVR along with a digital cable box, which I don't need. I don't watch much TV, and the DVR I have is fine, if it worked.

Any idea what could be wrong? the signal is pretty good, never had any problems. Here I have cable modem, which I didn't have in CT, could that interfere with the signal? I have the DVR connected to a UPS just in case there are power outages (not many though).

What else could I try?

Thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: TV Guide (the free signal on cable)
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: January 21, 2007 08:09AM
As a general rule, it's not a reliable feature for exactly the reason implicit in your post -- they want to sell you their cable box with the digital tuner and the digital version of the guide.

I've never had any luck with it from Comcast, Cablevision or Adelphia. Time Warner worked okay, but that was a few years ago and I've heard that they no longer support the feature in my old neighborhood.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: January 21, 2007 08:28AM
I remember reading somewhere (2, maybe 3 years ago?) that cable companies are getting away from analog signals (no cable box required) and will switch entirely to all digital (cable box required). However, it's 2-3 years later and it ain't happened. Methinks you will not get great support for this if you call. Maybe digital cable is in your future... assuming that you have analog (no cable box) now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2007 08:29AM by Spiff.
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: January 21, 2007 09:30AM
> I remember reading somewhere (2, maybe 3 years ago?) that cable companies are
> getting away from analog signals (no cable box required) and will switch entirely to all
> digital (cable box required).

We have analog cable. We've lost 4 local channels in the last year on Comcast. The broadcasters went digital and Comcast won't let analog customers receive them.

Two channels have gone to static. One now duplicates the guide-channel. One duplicates the "Comcast Channel" which is kind of a local programming channel that's not so bad.

Instead of prices going down for analog service with fewer channels, they raised prices twice last year. One reason (so they say) for raising prices is that they now carry extra sports channels on the DIGITAL cable lineup and they're passing on the expense.

Isn't that lovely?

Were it not for the fact that when I called to complain they gave me a promo rate that saves me $20 dollars each month, I'd be very pissed off.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 21, 2007 11:06AM
If it is Comcast you are dealing with, then you are lucky if the TV Guide channel even manages to display the right channels for your service area. I have Comcast here in W. Mass. and they have not managed to have all of the chanels updated to the current analog line-up for years. It is even worse looking up on the schedule on the TV Guide website. There the line-up past channel 13 is what was correct over 3 years ago.

Beond that, Comcast is pulling some of the same things in my area as macMagus reports. I would go to Dish or DirecTV to get away from Comcast, but trees on a neighbor's property block lin of sight. Perhaps Verizon will bring FIOS to my town in the next few years and I can say goodbye to Comcast for good.

Posted by: olnacl
Date: January 22, 2007 10:05AM
You might want to check the forums at [avsforum.com] They seem to be off line at the moment, but you'll find lots of info in the DVD Recorders forum.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020