advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
When it's too big for the USB scale...?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 21, 2007 02:01PM
We get a big discount on shipping through some express carriers as a perk from Mrs. Buzz's employment at a major airline. Now, the carriers are getting a bit more technologically saavy, and requiring parcels to be pre-weighed, and pre-entered into the system, and monitored directly online, though still requiring drop off at a shipping facility. Ahhh, the price we pay to save a few bucks...,

Anyhow, I picked up a shipping scale to take over where our famed Radio Shack USB scale leaves off at 10 lbs., and we really don't have any hard floor or counter space readily available on which to rest the scale. We do have mostly berber carpet, but I'm not sure the scale works properly while sitting directly on the carpet. My gut reaction is get a piece of 3/4" plywood to put under the scale, and weigh from there, as the scale and plywood would fit conveniently under one of our end tables and be easy to get to when needed. Does anyone sense anything wrong w/ this setup as to providing accurate weights w/ the scale on the plywood, on the berber carpet???

Thanks, I'm looking for feedback before going out and getting a piece of plywood cut, or for alternative solutions...

Buzz
==

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: When it's too big for the USB scale...?
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 21, 2007 02:11PM
For accurate weight, it should be on a firm, level surface. Plywood would work. You could probably put disks / coasters of some sort just under whatever feet your scale has.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: January 21, 2007 02:17PM
My Radio Shack USB scale goes to 20.750 lbs.

Grateful11
Posted by: elmo3
Date: January 21, 2007 02:26PM

requiring parcels to be pre-weighed, and pre-entered into the system

...as opposed merely to being weight and entered into the system?

---------------

In the words of DharmaDog: "it may or may not be utter horse@#$%&, but it shouldn't be dismissed simply because it doesn't agree with your opinion."

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Trying is the first step to failure. -- Homer Simpson
Date: January 21, 2007 03:06PM
tc- there is minimal clearance under the spring-loaded "feet" of the scale, so looking for said firmer, level surface to use in carpeted home, hence plywood..., not sure lips on coasters would fit properly.

G11- not sure what "real" upper limit is on RS USB scale, but sent several 40-60# packages over the holidays. new scale goes to 265#, to cover whatever overage there is beyond USB's capacity. until year's end, we could weigh & pay at drop off facility; now, to maintain discount, we have to do a little more pre-processing ourselves.

e3- yes, in the "opposed" part, I meant to convey that w/ the new system, we pre-process the parcel. but it doesn't become "official" until we drop it off, and it gets checked in at the facility, as "opposed" to standard online shipping where, as you state, parcels are "weighed and entered into the system" by the consumer. if others find "pre" objectionable, perhaps they could "weigh" in on the subject, though I was looking for guidance on easily creating a firm, level surface on which to use the scale in a carpeted environment.

==
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 21, 2007 03:18PM
For really heavy stuff, couldn't you get like 4 USB scales, place the package across all 4 at the same time, then add up the combined weight?
Posted by: Psurfer
Date: January 22, 2007 12:24AM
Buzz, assuming the new scale is digital, its strain gauge mechanism may barely be affected by your carpet at all. Want details? -Read yer heart out: [www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk]
Date: January 22, 2007 11:58AM
mb- thought about it, but only have two USB scales here, not located near each other, and cost of the "real" shipping scale was about the same as a couple of more USB scales and a hub and USB extension to plug them all in at the same time..., plus a lot less hassle (I hope)

Ps- thanks, interesting read. I'm assuming new scale is "strain guage", as is digital, and has less than 1/4" clearance from feet to body of scale, and is clearly made to use on a hard surface given the configuration of the feet, and that it's a shipping scale, not a bathroom scale as was primarily the subject of the article you provided. even on the lower, thinner, firmer berber carpet, the scale bottoms out pretty quick due to the limited clearance of the feet. I think I'll just go w/ a hunk of plywood, as I have to make a Home depot run anyway today or tomorrow.

==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 93
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020