advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Flat tire -> Costco -> Great deal
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 06, 2019 12:31PM
Wife complained one tire was loosing pressure. The TPMS are nice... when they work properly. checked with gauge: 27 PSI, all other tires were 38 PSI.

I took a spray bottle with soap dish solution, turned the steering wheel max one way and I was able to spray about 1/3 of the tire. Nothing, drove back about 18 inches, now a new section of the tire was exposed and voila, lots of bubbles coming out. There was a nail or a large staple visible. I didn't want to pull it out and enhance the leak.

I called Costco, they said they can do it but the wait time is about 2 hours. I pumped some air in the tire to bring it to 40 PSI hoping that is should last until I get to Costco (10 mile drive). As I drove, the pressure INCREASED so I got there with 45 PSI. Normal pressure in these tires is 38 PSI.

They said now 1 1/2 hours wait time. I did some shopping, I checked with them and they started working on it after about one hour and they got it done about 35 min later. This includes lifting it, checking pressure in all other tires, taking damaged tire off, fixing it properly from inside, putting it back and re-balancing it, etc. Someone was working on it most of this time, at least 20-25 min.

they charged me $10.99 (the tire is OEM, not bought from Costco, otherwise the repair would be free).

I don't know how they make money if someone works about 30-35 min and they charge me only $11. I know Costco pays better than other stores, so they must pay like $20-25 maybe even more. They clearly lost money on my repair. But I do pay the annual membership, and buy plenty of other stuff from them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2019 02:45PM by space-time.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Flat tire -> Costco -> Great deal
Posted by: graylocks
Date: April 06, 2019 12:35PM
But I do pay the annual membership, and buy planety of other stuff from them.

most of Costco's profit is in the membership fees. i think i read their market up percentage is 8 to 15 percent.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 06, 2019 12:42PM
.....tired......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 06, 2019 12:50PM
Oh, wow, I read this thinking you had bought the tire from them. That is some deal. Honestly, I try to do these repairs myself in my drive, as I can just take it off and do it quickly. But this is a good option to have
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 06, 2019 01:26PM
I assume giving service like this to a Costco member is normal plus they hope that good service translates to a tire sale next time you need tires.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Carm
Date: April 06, 2019 01:47PM
Good deal, a non America’s tire shop charges $25 for that. America’s tire doesn’t charge if it’s theirs under warranty.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 06, 2019 01:49PM
graylocks
But I do pay the annual membership, and buy planety of other stuff from them.

most of Costco's profit is in the membership fees. i think i read their market up percentage is 8 to 15 percent.

yup. how can they be making profit on that hotdog and soda with the labor?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: April 06, 2019 02:01PM
Racer X

from Investopedia:

the company uses word of mouth advertising to keep the same loss leaders week after week. Costco's biggest loss leaders in North America right now are the company's rotisserie chicken, hot dog and soda combo, and gasoline. Costco sells approximately 60 million rotisserie chickens every year, according to a recent report from NPR, but only makes $14 million in profit from them — less than $4 per bird.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: April 06, 2019 02:07PM
graylocks
Racer X

from Investopedia:

the company uses word of mouth advertising to keep the same loss leaders week after week. Costco's biggest loss leaders in North America right now are the company's rotisserie chicken, hot dog and soda combo, and gasoline. Costco sells approximately 60 million rotisserie chickens every year, according to a recent report from NPR, but only makes $14 million in profit from them — less than $4 per bird.

Something about those figures are off, given that the chickens cost $4.99.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: April 06, 2019 02:07PM
My wife picked up a nail in her tire a few months ago. She took it to Tire Discounters, where we typically buy tires. Her car is new, so the tires are OEM, but they fixed it for free. I'm not sure if they do that for everyone or if they looked up our account to see all the tires I've bought from them in the last 20 years.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: April 06, 2019 02:27PM
Everyone around here wanted at least $25 to fix a flat. I called the Goodyear shop and they said it would be free. I felt bad that he spent an hour on the car, he found a slow leak in another tire and fixed that, too, so I had them do an oil change.
Posted by: GGD
Date: April 06, 2019 02:32PM
mrbigstuff
graylocks
Racer X

from Investopedia:

Something about those figures are off, given that the chickens cost $4.99.

I agree. $14 million profit on 60 million chickens would be $0.2333 profit per chicken.

But I also question the 60 million chickens, that actually seems low, that would be 164,363 per day. They have 768 stores world wide (672 in North America). That would average 214 chickens per store per day.

Let's say the store is open 10 hours per day, about 21 chickens per hour seems low. I think they have way more than that in the oven at any given time.
Date: April 06, 2019 02:43PM
Another Costco deal I just discovered is their online photo printing.

I have been using the in-store while you wait service for $0.17/print for 4x6, but recently wanted to have some prints sent to my Mom before my next visit when I would have done it at the Costco store.

Online it's $0.09/print for 4x6 and they mail it for free (UPS Mail Innovations so it takes almost a week).

[www.costcophotocenter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2019 02:44PM by GGD.
Date: April 06, 2019 02:47PM
mrbigstuff
Oh, wow, I read this thinking you had bought the tire from them. That is some deal. Honestly, I try to do these repairs myself in my drive, as I can just take it off and do it quickly. But this is a good option to have

I do not have the tools, the skills, and even if I had, for $11 I would let someone else do it. Also the Volt is a pain in the ass to lift on a jack, if you don't do it properly you can get some dents where you put the jack.
Date: April 06, 2019 02:53PM
space-time
mrbigstuff

I do not have the tools, the skills, and even if I had, for $11 I would let someone else do it. Also the Volt is a pain in the ass to lift on a jack, if you don't do it properly you can get some dents where you put the jack.

For that $11, they probably also re-balanced that tire in case the weight of the patch changed the balance.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: April 06, 2019 03:11PM
Costco’s optical department is also a great deal.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 06, 2019 03:22PM
Road friction raises the temperature of the air in the tire, and consequently the air pressure.

99% of the time it's not a big deal. There should be a MAX air pressure listed on the side of the tire. That's the maximum pressure you fill to when the car is loaded, and the tire is 'cold' . And the air pressure will exceed that, but no worries.

I've probably got better access to my tires than you do on your Volt, so I keep a plug kit in the car. I've used it a couple of times. It's very handy.

If I had some kind of tire plan, I'd take a plugged tire into 'the shop' to be patched.

Otherwise, I've no problem driving on a plugged tire.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: April 06, 2019 04:45PM
Yes they did re-balance the wheel.
Posted by: testcase
Date: April 06, 2019 05:01PM
"I don't know how they make money if someone works about 30-35 min and they charge me only $11."

They make it up on volume. boink smiley
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: April 06, 2019 05:02PM
According to tirerack.com, a proper tire puncture repair should take thirty minutes
and cost $30 (approx.).
They have an informative tech report on the subject. [www.tirerack.com]

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: April 06, 2019 05:43PM
Interesting -- I didn't realize Costco would repair tires! I have a punctured tire that was purchased from Costco -- guess where I'll be tomorrow morning?

It is what it is.
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: April 06, 2019 05:51PM
"loosing"

???

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: max
Date: April 06, 2019 06:09PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Interesting -- I didn't realize Costco would repair tires! I have a punctured tire that was purchased from Costco -- guess where I'll be tomorrow morning?
They do err on side of safety and will not do the repair if the puncture is close to a sidewall. My Salvadorean plugshop will plug it for a sawbuck, we dont care about no steenking sidewall and you can forget about rebalancing...
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 06, 2019 06:19PM
Businesses that do free flat repair are using that as an opportunity to sell tires if the flat is unrepairable. Easy to understand. It brings a customer in need into their store.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: April 06, 2019 06:28PM
max
N-OS X-tasy!
They do err on side of safety and will not do the repair if the puncture is close to a sidewall. My Salvadorean plugshop will plug it for a sawbuck, we dont care about no steenking sidewall and you can forget about rebalancing...

Was down in Cabo about thirty years ago, frolicking in the beachside surf w/ some friends, when another swimmer emerged and frantically exclaimed, "I lost a fin! I lost a fin! Did anybody see see my fin?..."

I deadpanned, "just be thankful you didn't lose a sawbuck instead of a fin..."
Kinda had to be there to see the guy's expression to truly appreciate it.
:-)
==
Posted by: Ammo
Date: April 06, 2019 06:43PM
Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Costco’s optical department is also a great deal.

Costco brand hearing aids are a great deal too. They are sold for half the price of similar aids purchased elsewhere. I bought one last week for $800 and will be fitted with it on Monday. I hope it works out - it will be my first one.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Date: April 06, 2019 07:10PM
The UnDoug
"loosing"

???
I told my wife a long time ago, “loose” rhymes with “Moose”, She hasn’t confused “lose” and “loose” since. :-)
Date: April 06, 2019 09:24PM
The UnDoug
"loosing"

???

multiple excuses... ESL, I was in a hurry when I posted, etc.
Date: April 06, 2019 10:58PM
space-time
The UnDoug
"loosing"

???

multiple excuses... ESL, I was in a hurry when I posted, etc.

No big deal space-time. Happens, your message came across just fine.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 07, 2019 06:50AM
Costco brand hearing aids are a great deal too. They are sold for half the price of similar aids purchased elsewhere.

I recently heard Leo Laporte mention that hearing aids are going to be sold OTC, and that should drop the price.

He apparently paid $6000 for his. I suspect there are bells and whistles (npi) that many mortals wouldn't /couldn't afford.

Happens...

Indeed.

I noticed it in a thread above, and by whom I suspect is an EFL speaker.

But it does bug me alot when I see it.

LOL

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: April 07, 2019 07:04AM
(not so random) confession.

I grew up in a less wealthy family, and my Dad frequently had flat tires. In those times the tires had inner tubes. I remember one time they were supposed to pick me up from college at the end of the first year, and we did not have cell phones, nothing. We talked and they were supposed to show up one certain date to pick me up. That day came and I was waiting and waiting... everyone left and I was one of the last students waiting to be be picked up. Eventually they showed up late in the evening. They had 4 fat tires in 200 miles. I can't remember if the way back or smooth or we had additional repairs. That and a few other incidents left some non-pleasant memories and one of the things that still stresses me these days is not having good tires.

The fact that some cars come without spare wheel these days is so disappointing for me.
Posted by: Microman
Date: April 07, 2019 12:11PM
One thing you need to be concerned with, is if you buy Tires for a family member without a membership and they live 75 miles from you and they get a flat. You will need to call the local store close to the family member and asks the manager of the tire store to PLEASE take care of this.

They really need the person that purchased the tires to be there with their Costco Card.

But twice now they were nice and with proper ID, and #'s and receipts took care of relative.
Date: April 07, 2019 12:24PM
Microman
One thing you need to be concerned with, is if you buy Tires for a family member without a membership and they live 75 miles from you and they get a flat. You will need to call the local store close to the family member and asks the manager of the tire store to PLEASE take care of this.

They really need the person that purchased the tires to be there with their Costco Card.

But twice now they were nice and with proper ID, and #'s and receipts took care of relative.

I wasn't so lucky a few years ago, I had to drive to the Costco where our child took our car for a flat to get them to work on it. Phone calls didn't work.
Posted by: Michael
Date: April 07, 2019 12:50PM
RAMd®d
I keep a plug kit in the car. I've used it a couple of times. It's very handy.

If I had some kind of tire plan, I'd take a plugged tire into 'the shop' to be patched.

Otherwise, I've no problem driving on a plugged tire.

Me, too. I can find the nail, pull it and plug it in a few minutes. Way faster than taking it in. I understand that the "official" way to repair is to patch it but I've never had any problem with a plug.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: April 07, 2019 04:06PM
Michael -
I understand that the "official" way to repair is to patch it but I've never had any problem with a plug.

Captain E. J. Smith; R.M.S. Titanic
I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel.

RollingEyesSmiley5

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Date: April 07, 2019 04:49PM
MrNoBody
Michael -
I understand that the "official" way to repair is to patch it but I've never had any problem with a plug.

Captain E. J. Smith; R.M.S. Titanic
I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel.

RollingEyesSmiley5

I've done many plugs over the years, and never had one let go quickly. They may leak, but they do so slowly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 370
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020