advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
should I prefer to order something "fulfilled by Amazon"?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 11, 2019 07:05PM
I am looking at a cell phone, and already did the return thing with an eBay purchase, and now want to have an easy (easier) option in case this deal goes weird, too. Any advantages?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: should I prefer to order something "fulfilled by Amazon"?
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: April 11, 2019 07:23PM
Yes. Because then you’re subject to Amazon’s customer service. Of course, even purchasing directly from a third party (on Amazon), you have some significant advantages compared to eBay.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 11, 2019 07:32PM
I have always heard that.
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: April 11, 2019 07:38PM
I *always* prefer "Fulfilled by Amazon."

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Gareth
Date: April 11, 2019 07:55PM
If it's "Fulfilled by Amazon" then all you have to do is click through their return process and you're all set. If it's sold directly by a third-party, you'll have to contact the seller to set up a return.

Note there are some items that are "Fulfilled by Amazon" are non-returnable and it's not clear from the listing when that's true or not. However, in these cases (caulk that was the wrong color and hot chocolate that was the wrong quantity for us), Amazon usually just refunds the purchase price and let's us keep the item. No idea how a seller sets an item to be "non returnable" though.
Posted by: steve...
Date: April 11, 2019 07:55PM
I made one (and only one) third party purchase on Amazon and it was a disaster. The seller charged my card immediately, delayed shipping and would not respond to queries. Amazon was no help. Complained to my credit card bank and got my money refunded. The seller was still selling on Amazon 6 weeks later.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 11, 2019 08:25PM
steve...
I made one (and only one) third party purchase on Amazon and it was a disaster. The seller charged my card immediately, delayed shipping and would not respond to queries. Amazon was no help. Complained to my credit card bank and got my money refunded. The seller was still selling on Amazon 6 weeks later.

The seller charged my card immediately...

This cannot be, it has to be AMAZON who charges your credit card. The sellers do not have access to payment information, if indeed, they sell on amazon.

Amazon was no help.

This cannot be, there is an Amazon A through Z guarantee or something like that. virtually always the buyer wins. If need to follow the right process though. As a seller, a few of those cases and you're out.

Complained to my credit card bank and got my money refunded.

Glad to hear it worked out for you, but the Credit Card should be the last line of defense. Amazon should have been the first and only defense you needed in cases like these.
Posted by: cyclemax
Date: April 11, 2019 08:55PM
I buy from third party sellers on Amazon often and have never had any issues with returns. In fact, most of the time the sellers bend over backwards to make sure your happy. One issue I see, and it's not that big of a deal, is that you can't do an exchange for a defective item. You get a refund and have to purchase again.
Posted by: btfc
Date: April 11, 2019 10:53PM
space-time
steve...

The seller charged my card immediately...

This cannot be, it has to be AMAZON who charges your credit card. The sellers do not have access to payment information, if indeed, they sell on amazon.

Amazon was no help.

This cannot be, there is an Amazon A through Z guarantee or something like that. virtually always the buyer wins. If need to follow the right process though. As a seller, a few of those cases and you're out.

Complained to my credit card bank and got my money refunded.

Glad to hear it worked out for you, but the Credit Card should be the last line of defense. Amazon should have been the first and only defense you needed in cases like these.

Many years ago, I had a experience similar to steve...'s. I ordered an expensive DSLR body that was shown as in stock; after the order was placed, I was informed that it was backordered for eight weeks, but my credit card had been charged the +/- $2000 price. I contacted Amazon and was told to deal with the seller. The seller cancelled the order but I was told that the charge might not be credited back to my account for as long as 21 days. I called Amazon and was told again that I needed to deal with the 3rd party seller. I firmly pointed out that it was Amazon who had charged my card, and that having to wait up to 21 days to reorder the camera was unacceptable. I was told that Amazon would look into it. I called my card company, and they took care of it. A few days later I got an apology and a small Amazon credit.
To be fair, this was fairly early in Amazon's 3rd party seller days, but it left a bad taste in my mouth which still lingers. I'd be willing to believe that things are much improved today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2019 10:54PM by btfc.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: April 12, 2019 12:27AM
I firmly pointed out that it was Amazon who had charged my card, and that having to wait up to 21 days...

The float, how Bezos became the world's richest man wink smiley

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: space-time
Date: April 12, 2019 05:50AM
To be fair, this was fairly early in Amazon's 3rd party seller days, but it left a bad taste in my mouth which still lingers. I'd be willing to believe that things are much improved today.

I see. that explains it. My appologies to you and steve...

I should have said "this cannot be these days".
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 12, 2019 07:41AM
....philosophically, that is an interesting question......just what defines as being self fulfilled........fulfillment is in the eye of the beholder......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 401
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020