advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
looking for an app that will compare two folders to check to see what is different
Posted by: BLeonard
Date: January 22, 2007 07:07AM
I moved a bunch of iTunes music files from one library to another using senuti and on one machine I didn't have the preferences set correctly and ended up with a bit of a mess. I may have thrown some iTunes music library files away.

I have a complete backup of the hard drive but it doesn't include the new files I just added and some are buried in artist folders.

Anyway is there a utility out there that will easily compare two large folders and tell me what's different about them?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: looking for an app that will compare two folders to check to see what is different
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: January 22, 2007 07:09AM
Apple's FileMerge will do it.

It is free and is part of the optional Developer Tools that is bundled with new computers (and retail sets of OS X).
Re: looking for an app that will compare two folders to check to see what is different
Posted by: Mr645
Date: January 22, 2007 07:12AM
Toast also will compare folders or volumes
Date: January 22, 2007 07:22AM
In the Terminal, 'diff' will do it.

$ diff -r folder1 folder2

This will itemize for you exactly which files/folders are only in folder1 and not in folder2 and vice versa.
Posted by: btfc
Date: January 22, 2007 12:40PM
ITunes 6 and 7 will not add exact duplicates, so just drop the second folder onto your library, iTunes will add and sort whatever is missing
Posted by: mspace
Date: January 22, 2007 01:12PM
"In the Terminal, 'diff' will do it.

This will itemize for you exactly which files/folders are only in folder1 and not in folder2 and vice versa."

What would the line be to compare 2 folders on different drives?

Example, the folder on my internal drive and the backup on an external . . .

Thanks
Date: January 22, 2007 01:48PM
mspace
"In the Terminal, 'diff' will do it.

What would the line be to compare 2 folders on different drives?

Example, the folder on my internal drive and the backup on an external . . .

That's easy. Instead of simply typing the name of the folder (in quotes if it has spaces in the name), you would type the full path to the folder. Or better yet, have Mac OS X type it for you. When you type "diff -r ", then drag and drop the icon for the folder onto the Terminal. Mac OS X will type out exactly the full path to the dropped folder for you on the command line. Hit space and then drop the second folder icon. Since you are typing out the full path, it will work fine for folders on different drives, remote mounted drives, whatever.
Posted by: mspace
Date: January 22, 2007 01:54PM
Thanks!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 78
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020