advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Dropbox dropped support for MacOS 10.9
Posted by: AllGold
Date: April 18, 2019 06:05PM
It signed me out and won't let me sign in again under Mavericks because it's no longer supported even though nothing has changed.

Am I being unreasonable in expecting Dropbox to continue to work under Mavericks--since as I said, nothing has changed?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Dropbox dropped support for MacOS 10.9
Posted by: Robert M
Date: April 18, 2019 06:41PM
All,

As much as I'd like to say no the reality is time moves on. Same goes for software. It's why I've migrated my machines to High Sierra despite my best efforts to stick with older versions of the OS.

Robert
Posted by: Gareth
Date: April 18, 2019 06:48PM
AllGold
even though nothing has changed.

Maybe nothing has changed on the client side (for now), but maybe there have or will be changes on DropBox's side.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: April 18, 2019 07:26PM
You can access Dropbox via your browser, but that’s about it for Mavericks and earlier.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 18, 2019 07:43PM
If you're concerned about app-incompatibility or other problems with the APFS file system or haven't yet moved on to a SSD boot drive then at least take it to Sierra.

The only major problem with Sierra is that it's gonna lose support from Apple this September when 10.15 comes out. (Plus, going from 10.9 you're gonna miss the good old Disk Utility, colorful icons in the Finder and a Console app that actually displays useful log-content.)

But you'll (probably) buy yourself another couple of years from Dropbox and lots of other 3rd party app makers.

Posted by: space-time
Date: April 18, 2019 07:54PM
This affects my 1Passord vault sync.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: April 18, 2019 08:20PM
It signed me out and won't let me sign in again under Mavericks because it's no longer supported

It happened to me yesterday.

To be fair, they've sent me several warnings that it would happen when it did, so there's no surprise.

Why would they drop support if nothing has changed. I don't know there would be any advantage to them. So I assume there's some issue on their side that's necessitated this.

I'll probably go to Sierra next, as it's what's on my iMac and 'Book, and it's fine.

IF I go to High Sierra or Mojave, will I have to convert my external storage (and external boot disk) to APFS?

Any, I'll start with Sierra and see what breaks. I use Dropbox regularly so I've got to do something.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: April 18, 2019 08:30PM
I went to Sierra mainly because of Dropbox. It is very nice, and zippier than Mavericks. I kept a backup of the Mavericks drive for the sake on one app that won’t work beyond Mavs.

FWIW Mavericks runs pretty well in a VM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2019 08:33PM by ka jowct.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: April 18, 2019 09:01PM
RAMd®d
IF I go to High Sierra or Mojave, will I have to convert my external storage (and external boot disk) to APFS?

If you boot from SSD then the boot drive will get converted when you install HS.

Under Mojave, HD/Fusion and SSD boot drives all get converted.

Externals should remain unchanged.

Posted by: AllGold
Date: April 18, 2019 09:06PM
In case anyone is wondering, it sounds like pCloud is a good alternative to Dropbox and the free version comes with twice the storage.

As I have said before, I will probably upgrade to Sierra soon. I'm just not happy with Dropbox trying to dictate which OS I can use. They still support Windows 7 which is older than Mavericks, although Microsoft is still patching Win 7 and Apple dropped Mavericks long ago.

Sarcany
If you're concerned about app-incompatibility or other problems with the APFS file system or haven't yet moved on to a SSD boot drive then at least take it to Sierra.

The only major problem with Sierra is that it's gonna lose support from Apple this September when 10.15 comes out. (Plus, going from 10.9 you're gonna miss the good old Disk Utility, colorful icons in the Finder and a Console app that actually displays useful log-content.)

But you'll (probably) buy yourself another couple of years from Dropbox and lots of other 3rd party app makers.

Yes, I am going to miss a useful Disk Utility and Console app. Also, sad to hear Sierra is not long for this world. I can't seem to get excited about using a new file system.

By the way, I used both El Capitan and Sierra for a while, but decided I was better off with Mavericks. That was quite a while ago, and I have been intending to upgrade for some time, just didn't want to mess with it. I'm also a little uptight about using Photoshop CS3 with the newer OSs.

Date: April 18, 2019 09:40PM
If you are reasonably careful, you can keep using Sierra. Just use a browser like Firefox that gets updated regularly. I had no trouble using Mavericks for several years after it stopped getting Apple’s security updates. You still get Xprotect updates.

I’m not going beyond Sierra on my Mac Pro. I am probably not going beyond High Sierra on the one machine that is running it, for a couple of years. If it becomes necessary, and APFS has turned out to be OK, I will consider moving on. this MBP came with High Sierra installed, but I ditched APFS in favor of HFS+ for now, by cloning the system to an external drive, reformatting the internal drive to HFS+, and cloning back.

Posted by: ADent
Date: April 19, 2019 06:20PM
I have dropped Dropbox for now.

I finally changed my computer from FileVault 1 to FileVault 2 and DropBox said it needed to reactivate - then it said you have more than 3 free machines - pay up.

$100 a year to sync 1Password and my car tracking application? I switched to iCloud.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020