advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Absolute best stuff for cleaning bathtub
Posted by: h'
Date: January 22, 2007 10:24AM
I normally like to avoid chemicals but doe to arthritic hands I'd be willing to compromise if there was something I could basically spray on and wipe off to clean my bathtub.
Anyone feel strongly about any killer products on the market?
Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Absolute best stuff for cleaning bathtub
Posted by: Jem
Date: January 22, 2007 11:07AM
We have hard water, so get nasty soap scum build-up pretty quickly.

I use a combination of a spray down with plain white vinegar followed with a spray down with a semi-diluted (50%-50%) solution of Simple green.

On our acrylic tub it works pretty good. My theory is the vinegar helps neutralize and release the hard elements, and then the Simple Green is a strong but gentle detergent to wash away the residue. A normal scrub (not necessarily vigorous) and rinse with the shower nozzle is all that is required. Neither is particularly toxic... and both are reasonable priced if you buy in the gallon sizes. I use quart size sprayers like you'd use to mist a plant or to clean glass (which vinegar is also good for!).

I've shied away from harsh cleaners on our tub because I've assumed that acrylic isn't as rugged as enamel or ceramic, and don't want to be replacing the tub!

Best of luck!
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: January 22, 2007 11:14AM
What kind of surface does your bathtub have? Some of the wonder drugs for bathrooms will damage certain materials.

And is this a tub that people take real baths in, or is it used in place of a shower stall? I never need to clean either the tub or the shower stall at my house, because each is rinsed with clear water and then wiped down with a towel every time. As a matter of fact I'd be kind of embarrassed to admit how long it's been since either have really been cleaned just because yuck had built up.

The product I liked best before we got obsessive about toweling was called Shower Power. It had a nice, minty fragrance.

I have RA so have trouble with hands, feet, and various other body parts, too. Using a towel to wipe down is pretty easy to do, because you have a lot to grip, unlike grasping a sponge.
Posted by: Tofer
Date: January 22, 2007 11:52AM
Well, I swear by Scrubbing Bubbles®. I know what you mean about the chemicals, but the stuff does wonders.

-Tofer
Posted by: NOGoddess
Date: January 22, 2007 12:15PM
I've been using Charlie's Soap:

[www.charliesoap.com]

It's 100% non-toxic & biodegredable. I use it for pretty much all my cleaning needs - for the tub, dilute with water (you don't have to dilute, but I find full strength isn't needed for most things) and let sit for a few minutes, then wipe off. Works like a charm on stainless steel (ie, fixtures) as well. BTW, they also make a non-toxic, biodegradable laundry powder that I've been using for the past 6 months or so and also love. Have been sharing both liquid and laundry soaps with friends and so far everyone else loves it, too (and no, I'm not affiliated with the company, just a very satisfied customer).

Buy the gallon size liquid cleaner and dilute in your own spray bottle...

Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: January 22, 2007 01:33PM
Olive oil. I usually add a few drops to my bath to keep my skin from getting dry. The side affect is that the tub has to be cleaned considerably more often, but the oil makes it incredibly easy to remove accumulated grime - just swipe with a soft sponge as you leave the bath.

Le poète doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Posted by: samintx
Date: January 22, 2007 01:38PM
a MAID!!!!
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 22, 2007 01:57PM
HCl

Posted by: what4
Date: January 22, 2007 02:18PM
As the janitorial supply house explained it to me, a major cause of tub grunge is hard-water deposits that are holding the dirt. You have to dissolve the deposits in order to get rid of the dirt. That requires an acidic solution. Vinegar might work just fine, and it's pretty mild.

If vinegar does not do it, look for a commercial product containing phosphoric acid, up to around 12 percent. That is the stuff used by janitors to remove soap deposits and hard-water scale.

This is a stronger acid. Handle with care. Wear rubber gloves. Wear glasses or other eye protectors. Use in good ventilation. NEVER use with bleach (produces deadly chlorine.)

I have bought it at a janitorial supply, for rentals that get grungy. Not pleasant, but effective.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 22, 2007 03:24PM
i think i have heard that liquid dishwasher detergent is good for this, as well as the glass doors on your shower...

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: DP
Date: January 22, 2007 04:24PM
How about something like Arm & Hammer Clean Shower? I use it after every shower and haven't needed to actually clean it in weeks. You need to clean it first but after that a spray after and you're done.
Posted by: davester
Date: January 22, 2007 05:30PM
The cleaning lady.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: January 22, 2007 09:17PM
Pretty sure it's acrylic.
Hiring someone to clean up after onesself seems decadent. I suppose I should sit around and gorge myself and then stick a feather down my throat as well.
I'll look into that Charlie's stuff, thanks. I do take baths. I think I recall the water's extremely hard here in Chicago. When I travel the water always feels slippery to me.
Date: January 22, 2007 09:26PM
OK, I ordered a gallon of Charile's. Don't normally drop that kind of dough on a whim but I start a new job next week and have survived retirement with only a minor dent in my reserves.
Posted by: davester
Date: January 23, 2007 12:07AM
h'
Hiring someone to clean up after onesself seems decadent. I suppose I should sit around and gorge myself and then stick a feather down my throat as well..

Hahahahaha! For two working parents with teenagers it's virtually a necessity, but go ahead and do what you want with that feather.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: pixelzombie
Date: January 23, 2007 09:45AM
the stuff in the purple bottle works wonders, but the name escapes me...
Date: January 23, 2007 10:03AM
Got a nice personalized response to my web-submitted order:

Okay,

That's one of the weirdest forums where Charlie's Soap has popped up. Just as long as no one uses it to clean out their harddrive... okay, that was bad. I'll leave the comedy to the professionals.

Thanks for your order!

Taylor Sutherland
Ops Manager, Charlie's Soap
336-548-6035 PH
800-854-3541 PH
336-548-3626 FAX
www.charliesoap.com

I wish more businesses understood the personal touch rather than going for the slick faceless corporate image.
Date: January 23, 2007 10:07AM
pixelzombie

Fantastik??

This thread has helped my self-esteem-- I was starting to feel like maybe I'm just filthy-- never made the hard water/soap scum connection.

I just grabbed a bottle of name brand shower and tub spray ("with bleach!") and sprayed it all over, then grapped a washcloth and tried to put a dent in the crud-- nothing. I think I had this tub spotless about a month ago. My normal MO is comet cleanser and lots of scrubbing, but my hands are a little closer to falling apart every day (especially since patching and painting a 1000 sf apartment for the last two weeks, including ceiling).

Betcha can't wait for my Charlie's review.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2007 10:08AM by h'.
Date: January 23, 2007 10:42AM
Interesting map provided by Charlie's:
Posted by: NOGoddess
Date: January 24, 2007 12:52AM
Oh, I forgot to mention - and have to add - nothing cleans my Mac laptop like Charlie's Soap. I've got 7 cats that are always leaving pawprints on the case and this stuff shines it up like new. Took the plunge the other day and cleaned my screen with some (very diluted) and the screen looks as good as the day I bought the laptop.

Posted by: pixelzombie
Date: January 24, 2007 09:57AM
h'
pixelzombie

Fantastik??

Betcha can't wait for my Charlie's review.

i don't think it's Fantastik, it's that stuff that used to be on those tv commercials with that bearded guy who talked very loud...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 131
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020