advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
"The damnation of many an evil man, the salvation of a humble few." Brushy Mt. Prison Open For Tours
Posted by: jh
Date: May 09, 2019 04:36PM
Having an interest in history I found the news article link below interesting as I live a couple hours from Brushy (as it was called), think I will go take the tour. News article about the opening for tours here.

There's talk of doing the something similar for the, now closed, old Tennessee State Prison

Old Tennessee State Prison (Nashville)

Brushy Mountain Prison (Petros)

Brushy Mountain Prison (1896-2009) located in Petros, Tennessee is now open for tours, has a museum and is home to the End of the Line Moonshine distillery. Among the many inmates, probably the most famous was James Earl Ray, convicted of murdering Martin Luther King in Memphis. His escape from this prison lasted three days before he was recaptured.

Blurb from the web site's history page--very hard times.

Brushy Mountain officially opened in 1896 in the aftermath of the bloody Coal Creek War and began operations as a convict-lease prison.

Prison life was dangerous. There were a number of murders by inmates lookin’ to settle a score, not to mention deadly accidents. But those weren’t the only tragedies. Disease also struck the prison. Tuberculosis, typhoid fever, and pneumonia took many lives. In the early 1900's, 3/4 of the black men incarcerated at Brushy suffered from syphilis. They received poor medical treatment and were made to mine the coal and build the prison no matter what condition their health was in. If they weren’t willing to do the work, guards would beat them. Some, were beaten to death.

Promo video here.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "The damnation of many an evil man, the salvation of a humble few." Brushy Mt. Prison Open For Tours
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 09, 2019 04:45PM
Very cool.
Note of course you can tour "Shawshank Prison" in Mansfield, Ohio (The Ohio State Reformatory). Also seen in a few other films.

[www.mrps.org]
Re: "The damnation of many an evil man, the salvation of a humble few." Brushy Mt. Prison Open For Tours
Posted by: jh
Date: May 09, 2019 05:04PM
When prisoners arrived, they “passed under a large sign that loomed overhead, stating ‘Abandon all hope, ye who enter here,’ a jarring reminder that they were the property of the state for the foreseeable future,” wrote Yoshie Lewis and Brian Allison in the introduction to their book, “Tennessee State Penitentiary.”
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: May 09, 2019 07:17PM
Yes, cool indeed.
If you're near Philly and have time to kill, there is...
Eastern State Penitentiary was once the most famous and expensive prison in the world, but stands today in ruin, a haunting world of crumbling cellblocks and empty guard towers. Known for its grand architecture and strict discipline, this was the world's first true "penitentiary," a prison designed to inspire penitence, or true regret, in the hearts of prisoners. Its vaulted, sky-lit cells once held many of America's most notorious lawbreakers, including bank robber "Slick Willie" Sutton and Al Capone. [www.easternstate.org]

The place is huge!

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: kledo
Date: May 10, 2019 06:08AM
"This ain't no hotel I'm writing you from
It's the State Prison out in Brushy Mountain
Where yours sincerely is doing 5 to 8
Just stamping out my time
making Tennessee plates."
--John Hiatt

Loved that song for years but never knew Brushy Mountain was such a notorious prison.

--Kledo
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020