advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Best Mapping and Navigation tool for a long Road Trip?
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 20, 2019 03:52PM
I'm toying with the idea of doing an "across Europe" Road Trip... probably not for a couple years (it ain't gonna be cheap... totally worth it, but not cheap!).

I've been trying to wrestle Google My Maps into doing what I want, but it's a struggle. I am not a fan of the "driving direction" customizability... dragging the line often makes screwy loops, mobius roads, or back-tracks I neither intended nor wanted.
Combine this with only 10 "Layers" available (for, say, driving days), and I'm not sure it's what I need.

Is there any other tool to route-map specific roads rather than just the "quickest route", that can then do in-car navigation on my phone?

Or should I just beat Google My Maps into submission, or let it beat ME into submission?

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Best Mapping and Navigation tool for a long Road Trip?
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 20, 2019 04:16PM
I think you would be better off with a paper and pencil and making an old fashioned plan, then try to use Apps to get from A to B, then to C and so on.

I don't know how Waze works in Europe, but I know my Dad is pretty happy with Here in Romania. Make sure you download the maps on WiFi.
Date: May 20, 2019 04:18PM
There will most definitely be a "paper backup" and route plan...
Learned that lesson back before WiFi was ubiquitous everywhere and before cellular data was even a thing.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 20, 2019 04:25PM
I believe that Waze was either Israeli or Estonian originally, but it's limited to 3000miles and only allows you to put in a destination. It assumes that the starting point is your current location.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 20, 2019 04:26PM
A Better Route Planner is another option, but it is somewhat specific to EV travel.

[abetterrouteplanner.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 20, 2019 04:40PM
Paper maps.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: May 20, 2019 04:49PM
ztirffritz
A Better Route Planner is another option, but it is somewhat specific to EV travel.

[abetterrouteplanner.com]

I agree, just avoid the charging stops. I used it for my 3800 mile eclipse trip to over 10 national and state parks. You pick where you want to stay at night, and when you want to depart each day. I find it easiest to plan each day/destination, then, in the end combine them into one trip.

This is a great tool, and proudly donate to his work.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: May 20, 2019 05:13PM
I've used Google Maps multiple times for this. I've searched for something better, but haven't found it. Last trip was in 2015 though, so things may have changed.

As far as G maps making weird loops or whatnot, that's usually for good reason. Eg, a one-way road or a road you can't drive on.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: May 20, 2019 06:37PM
I think you'll find Here or Bing better for turn-by-turn navigation in Europe, though Google may be better for finding businesses. I'd also work things out with something like the ADAC atlas or Michelin maps to get the big picture before leaving, though.

Also have a look at maps.me on your phone, which uses OpenStreetMap data. Especially in Germany, that has an incredible level of detail, and is really nice for walking around the cities. Because you can download regions before you go, you never have to worry about not having a connection.
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 20, 2019 07:18PM
Have you looked at TomTom products?

Almost two decades ago, my first GPS unit was a TomTom920 (if I remember correctly). It had a HARD DRIVE (20GB I believe) and, came pre-loaded with the WORLD! The battery would last 8+ hours. All in all, a very impressive unit. old fogey smiley
Posted by: Z
Date: May 20, 2019 07:47PM
The VW Polo I rented in the Netherlands had a great integrated map system. That combined with a paper map should be pretty good - obviously be sure to rent the exact same car I did! ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2019 07:47PM by Z.
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: May 20, 2019 08:25PM
ztirffritz
I believe that Waze was either Israeli or Estonian originally, but it's limited to 3000miles and only allows you to put in a destination. It assumes that the starting point is your current location.

I believe, though, with Waze, that you can "Plan a Drive," and that allows you to specify both a starting location, and an ending one.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 20, 2019 09:49PM
Depends on what you want to do, I guess. If it's make the fastest time, some good suggestions above, relative to GPS and other way finding electronic data. If you want a general guide, nothing really beats paper maps, for not only the points on your travels, but what exists outside of that, too. Taking it all in with a bunch of maps spread across your table is... well, I grew up doing that, stuff dreams are made of, and all that. (Now, I did not get to all of those destinations, but the research was really fun.)
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 20, 2019 10:30PM
Just finished a ~6000 mile road trip (indirectly) to Mexico City. We used Google maps, an iPhone and an iPad. We used the Personal Hotspot on the iPhone to connect the WiFi-only iPad to the net. The routes selected were up to date and smart and keeping the blue dot on the blue line was all we needed to do. I would check out our proposed daily drive on a MBP in order to fine tune our route before packing the car.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2019 10:31PM by Speedy.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 20, 2019 10:54PM
It's a good idea to plan locations to visit. Past that, you don't know what will be the predominant system in "a couple of years."

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: May 21, 2019 09:13AM
And, especially in Europe, probably any car you'll rent "in a couple of years" will have a built-in satnav.

The only way to really get the big picture when planning a trip is with paper maps.
Date: May 21, 2019 10:45AM
Appreciate the perspectives, all!

There seems to be some misunderstandings about what I want to do...
There is NO shortage of software that will get me from any given "point A" to "point B", but it will pick the "best" or "fastest" route...
I often don't WANT the best or fastest route. I want the rural back road in rural southern France. Or the slow coastal road in western Italy, not the interstate (uh, you know what I mean).

I want to plot SPECIFIC routes that can then BE my navigation-courses.
I have limited success with Google My Maps, but it lacks ease of use for changing routes from those "fastest" routes to the route I want to take.

There will most definitely be paper maps in the car, with routes marked in highlighter...
If my budgeting/savign goes right, this will be summer 2021. Lot of planning to do before then, though.

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: May 21, 2019 02:18PM
You might be interested in [kurviger.de] , which lets motorcyclists find curvy roads. It uses the OpenStreetMap data. But honestly, it sounds like you mostly want to pore over an atlas showing the most scenic routes of Europe.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: May 21, 2019 10:19PM
When I want to do this with ABetterRoutePlanner.com I simply add a waypoint on the path, like a city, to "force" that route.

Paul F.
Appreciate the perspectives, all!

There seems to be some misunderstandings about what I want to do...
There is NO shortage of software that will get me from any given "point A" to "point B", but it will pick the "best" or "fastest" route...
I often don't WANT the best or fastest route. I want the rural back road in rural southern France. Or the slow coastal road in western Italy, not the interstate (uh, you know what I mean).

I want to plot SPECIFIC routes that can then BE my navigation-courses.
I have limited success with Google My Maps, but it lacks ease of use for changing routes from those "fastest" routes to the route I want to take.

There will most definitely be paper maps in the car, with routes marked in highlighter...
If my budgeting/savign goes right, this will be summer 2021. Lot of planning to do before then, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2019 05:40AM by Ken Sp..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 382
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020