Poor Bill Buckner finally at peace
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 27, 2019 06:58PM
[www.espn.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Poor Bill Buckner finally at peace
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: May 27, 2019 07:13PM
nope, not poor Bill..poor Boston Fans who hacked at him..bunch of losers.

Buckner was a great player who had a ton of guts on the field..i'd take him on my team any day.

One of the greatest contact hitters in the game, just fun to watch..love the guy.
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 27, 2019 07:24PM
Yeah, everyone remembers that one play in the World Series, but that August and September most of the Red Sox hitters were in a slump and Buckner's batting pretty much carried the team. (With a bad ankle!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2019 09:18PM by btfc.
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 27, 2019 07:26PM
He was fine. Super long career, made a lot of money and he was a boss at every stop. I see him as a great Dodger. Bay Area boy from Vallejo. Wish he had lived longer without that stupid disease. I can still hear Vin Scully scream Buckner's name when Hammerin' Hank blasts his historic home run.

High drive to deep left center field! Buckner goes back TO THE FENCE, IT IS GONE!

Two of my guys mentioned in the same breath by the man of men.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2019 07:32PM by vision63.
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 27, 2019 09:41PM
We enjoyed him when he was a Cub...
Posted by: lost in space
Date: May 28, 2019 12:03AM
Hell of a player and a good guy from what I knew of him in school.
From my 9th grade yearbook:

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 28, 2019 09:26AM
Kraniac

Buckner was a great player who had a ton of guts on the field..i'd take him on my team any day.

One of the greatest contact hitters in the game, just fun to watch..love the guy.

not at all. Buckner was hated for that play that night and for a little while after (which he should have made, let's be clear), but everyone knew he was not the sole person to lose that series for the Sox. his return to Fenway in 2008 (?) was proof of that. more recently, he was a manager for a local team and was respected for doing that when he didn't have to return to MA in order to coach baseball.
Posted by: 3d
Date: May 28, 2019 01:53PM
mrbigstuff
Kraniac

not at all. Buckner was hated for that play that night and for a little while after (which he should have made, let's be clear), but everyone knew he was not the sole person to lose that series for the Sox. his return to Fenway in 2008 (?) was proof of that. more recently, he was a manager for a local team and was respected for doing that when he didn't have to return to MA in order to coach baseball.

2008? The RedSox had 2 world series titles by then. What about the two decades in-between?
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 28, 2019 02:37PM
lost in space
Hell of a player and a good guy from what I knew of him in school.
From my 9th grade yearbook:

I don't get cooler than that.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 28, 2019 04:02PM
3d
mrbigstuff
Kraniac

2008? The RedSox had 2 world series titles by then. What about the two decades in-between?

Right. What's your question?
Posted by: hal
Date: May 28, 2019 05:15PM
I always thought of him as one from that Dodgers team that I loved as a kid too. I was already turning away from baseball when the great flub happened - it certainly didn't change my opinion of him.

And I had no idea that the Aaron home run call was etched into my brain until I read what you typed here... That was a HUGE moment in my childhood. Thanks for pointing that out.

vision63
He was fine. Super long career, made a lot of money and he was a boss at every stop. I see him as a great Dodger. Bay Area boy from Vallejo. Wish he had lived longer without that stupid disease. I can still hear Vin Scully scream Buckner's name when Hammerin' Hank blasts his historic home run.

High drive to deep left center field! Buckner goes back TO THE FENCE, IT IS GONE!

Two of my guys mentioned in the same breath by the man of men.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2019 09:49PM by hal.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 82
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020