advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Upgrading to El Cap --> Office Migration Q
Posted by: SteveO
Date: May 29, 2019 01:32PM
Time to move out of 2013 on my mid-'10 MBP.

1. Usual path? Put El Cap installer on a thumb drive, install from that and voila?

2. Also need to clone drive as I have a nice new 1 TB SSD to install, too. I guess use CCC or SuperDuper for that? Both still equally good at it? Preference? What about Time Machine? I backed up to my external 2 TB HDD yesterday, wonder if that would work.

3. Then to upgrade from Office '08 (15gb Entourage mail). Anyone with an Office 2011 or 2016 they want to sell me, ping me. I'd like to just get 2016 and somehow skip buying 2011...maybe I'll get '16 and see if M$ will let me download a copy of '11...I have to go via '11 to 16 in order to keep my email from Entourage. Then there's Office '19. Not sure if that's El Cap friendly.

I think that's the only way to do it, unless I can import Entourage '08 into Mail...which I don't think is possible. (?)

Long live Claris Emailer! (The original Entourage!) Thanks for any tips on all this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2019 01:34PM by SteveO.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Upgrading to El Cap --> Office Migration Q
Posted by: rz
Date: May 29, 2019 02:23PM
Office 19 works ok on El Cap. My son has that setup.

CCC or Superduper should be fine to clone your current setup. I have never tried using Timewasting Machine.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 29, 2019 02:33PM
Sierra is more stable for my $

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: rz
Date: May 29, 2019 03:11PM
I've been using El Cap on 3 different machines for a couple of years now. What about Sierra is "more stable"? What specifically about El Cap is unstable? I haven't noticed any stability problems.
Posted by: GGD
Date: May 29, 2019 03:20PM
rz
Office 19 works ok on El Cap. My son has that setup.

Are you certain of that? I was pretty sure that Office 2016 was needed for El Capitan, but that if you have an Office 365 subscription you can still install and activate Office 2016 instead of office 2019.

This site gives good info on the system requirements and the download links for the various installers. Says 2016 requires 10.10 or later, and 2019 requires 10.12 or later.

[macadmins.software]

And BTW: Office 2008 will still run on El Capitan, but not sure how reliably.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2019 03:22PM by GGD.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: May 29, 2019 03:23PM
Your u may want to consider having your email account se IMAP. Or use a temp iCloud account in IMAP to transfer your info.
Other may want to comment on this, since I’m not 100% sure it’s a good solution.
But I bring this up because I do not know a good reason to not use IMAP.

Good luck!

• back to confinement

Date: May 29, 2019 05:05PM
Yeah I'm not a huge fan of POP3, but I've always liked the Entourage UX. I may eventually move to IMAP only...I've been using Webmail Horde the past several months (b/c Entourage is too much hassle under Mavs), but I can't stand it, so convoluted. I still need to get my 15gb Entourage db converted...there are corruption issues every few months and I can't go forward with it. Plus it's likely very vulnerable to hackers

So if '08 works on El Cap (it's actually been pretty buggy since I upgraded to Mavs), then I'd think '11 is also okay. I may end up staying at '11, maybe I won't even need '16.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 29, 2019 05:48PM
CCC lines the Recovery Partition; SD does not
Posted by: rouderon
Date: May 29, 2019 09:45PM
I have actually used ‘08 on El Cap, Sierra, and now High Sierra. The only big issue I have is that when I open the program for the first time, it opens with a blank email (which I promptly close). This is a known issue starting in El Cap, or maybe Yosemite. I’m about to update to Mojave, so I’m wondering if it will travel?
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 30, 2019 09:48AM
@rz -
unstable graphics with ProTools - primary app for me.
Sierra Mail is way improved. Auto-check, sig, blah, blah, blah.
Office 2008 is way more stable with Sierra.
I have found the surfers, Safari, Firefox (my primary) and Chrome to play better and faster with Sierra.

!#$@@$#!

Date: May 30, 2019 11:49PM
rouderon
I have actually used ‘08 on El Cap, Sierra, and now High Sierra. The only big issue I have is that when I open the program for the first time, it opens with a blank email (which I promptly close). This is a known issue starting in El Cap, or maybe Yosemite. I’m about to update to Mojave, so I’m wondering if it will travel?

FWIW - This blank email issue with Entourage '08 started in Mavs. I read last night that it can be avoided by not launching Entourage directly from the dock. See this link and be sure to read ALL the replies (you have to click a link to reveal them all) as there is more good info on workarounds.

My issue is corruption. I suppose I could go in and delete about 10-12 gigs of my 15gb Identities folder...that would take forever but would likely solve my Entourage's wonky behavior.
Date: May 30, 2019 11:49PM
anonymouse1

What does this mean? Is that a good thing or a bad thing that CCC lines hte Recovery Partition?
Posted by: rouderon
Date: May 31, 2019 07:08AM
That's awesome, Steve - thanks!
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 31, 2019 07:14AM
SteveO
anonymouse1

What does this mean? Is that a good thing or a bad thing that CCC lines hte Recovery Partition?

CCC can clone/restore a Recovery volume.

It can also manage APFS snapshots.

Carbon Copy Cloner is one of the all-time great apps.

Mike Bombich deserves some sort of medal.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 146
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020