advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
advice on strengthening back?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 30, 2019 11:30AM
I pulled a back muscle this morning and its started to spasm a few times. Its unpleasant but manageable. I'm able to go about my day normally aside from working from home instead of going into my office. I'm not sure what particular movement triggered it.

I never want this to happen again.

Also we're moving in a month and I DO NOT want to deal with this while moving.

I think I should do some exercises to strengthen my back. I'm familiar with crunches / pushups / planks but I'm curious if anyone has other exercises to recommend. Advice?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: advice on strengthening back?
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 30, 2019 11:38AM
Your core is what you want to strengthen, not just your back. Back injuries associated with lifting and moving things are not usually caused by insufficient strength in your back, but by an untenable reliance on your spine to bear loads, which leads to muscle strain.

I think focusing on core-strength training is going to pay more dividends than back exercises, based on your description of your injury. Also, practice lifting things properly (it sounds dumb, but it doesn't necessarily 'come naturally,' hence common injuries) before you embark on a move. Practicing means not just lifting boxes, but knowing how heavy to pack boxes, how to stack and organize things to be lifted, and knowing how to react if something feels off or wrong.

Your core abdominal/back and leg muscles should be doing most of the work when you are lifting - your upper muscles should really stabilize the column of your body while your lower body does the major lifting. Remember - you're not exercising your back so that it can do the lifting, but so that it can protect your spine. Backs are not meant to lift things, ergonomically. Using backs to bear loads will cause damage and deformation over time, which is why folks who carry loads for a living end up stooped and bent over. It's not a good use of the spine.

Good luck! And remember - if it gets worse, back surgery is usually not a solution to back problems, but it is awfully helpful with surgeon boat payments.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 30, 2019 11:43AM
......echo what was said about the core......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 30, 2019 11:55AM
[www.amazon.com]

every day 15 mins or so, especially if you're over 50 (which, sorry to say, I suspect many of us are)

back roller exercises.
[www.amazon.com]

I spent my 20s thru 40s touring and using my back to lift too much, instead of my legs. I was a mess until I started the above. I still have issues on occasion, but they are waay more manageable.

But my spouse is a PT, so I may be at an advantage.

!#$@@$#!

proofraed by OwEn the c@t.

Nobody remembers their first download, but everyone remembers their 1st LP.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 30, 2019 12:02PM
1. Let lifts
2. Aleve. If I take 2-3 pills before going to sleep when I have back pain, the problem goes away within 2-3 days.
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 30, 2019 12:18PM
maybe think about a back brace. or some of those shoulder lifting straps

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: davester
Date: May 30, 2019 12:19PM
I agree with rjmacs. In addition, you should not jump into strength building exercises until after you have completely recovered from your back injury. Personally I'd give recovery at least a week before starting a gradually increasing strengthening program.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 30, 2019 12:27PM
I'm a fan of swimming if you can find a pool.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 30, 2019 02:00PM
I would get some resistance bands and work with those. Those provide good core strength until you get it REALLY built.

Something similar to this:

[www.amazon.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2019 02:01PM by ztirffritz.
Date: May 30, 2019 02:46PM
.....just to be sure.....make sure there isn't a knife in it [ from when someone stabbed you in the back ].......

Posted by: lost in space
Date: May 30, 2019 05:34PM
I'd see a physical therapist for advice.

CBD oil was a huge help for me with my back spasms.

Posted by: Pam
Date: May 30, 2019 05:58PM
You're not going to accomplish much in one month. Stretch often and do not over do it when moving. Get help, use dollies, etc.

For the future, in addition to core work (try a balance disc), deadlifts are a great compound exercise and can be done with dumbbells.
Posted by: hal
Date: May 30, 2019 06:52PM
I get into really bad shape every winter then go backpacking in the summer. I found that all exercises that I did to strengthen my back resulted in pain later. I found that working on my legs first made it such that the back work wasn't so hard on my body (I'm 57). So I'd work on getting my thighs, knees and ankles strong and most of the back work is already done when I concentrate on that.
Posted by: Pam
Date: May 30, 2019 07:41PM
hal
I get into really bad shape every winter then go backpacking in the summer. I found that all exercises that I did to strengthen my back resulted in pain later. I found that working on my legs first made it such that the back work wasn't so hard on my body (I'm 57). So I'd work on getting my thighs, knees and ankles strong and most of the back work is already done when I concentrate on that.

Everything is connected smiling smiley

Deadlifts also hit the lower chain. Not as directly as squats. But you are absolutely correct. A weakness in one area can create problems in another. Gotta work everything!
Posted by: mspace
Date: May 31, 2019 07:43AM
Psoas stretches. Beyond important. The most major muscle in your body you probably don't know about.

Look up the muscle. Tons of various exercises on line.
Date: May 31, 2019 10:54AM
....baby.....got back......

Posted by: Ammo
Date: May 31, 2019 04:14PM
Google “Roman Chair.” I started using one after a back injury several years ago and haven’t had another since. However, this may just be simple luck.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero
Posted by: qdog2
Date: June 09, 2019 07:03AM
I use a Total gym. Chuck Norris is on to something here. Buy used or from QVC when they have a sale.

Portsmouth, Va
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 120
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020