advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Mac Pro startup issues
Posted by: rouderon
Date: May 30, 2019 02:14PM
I have a 2009 Mac Pro that wouldn't wake from sleep yesterday. I did a hard shutdown and then it wouldn't display anything on screen when I started it back up. The 1st time I pressed the power button, it just clicked, then the 2nd time the light came on and sounded like it was starting up (but no video). I powered it down and removed all the internal drives except the startup drive (which is SSD, others are platter drives), and was able to start it up. I left it on all night and it was working ok until I shut it down today, then the same issues. Sometimes it will fully restart, sometimes, no video. I noticed that the startup chime was very faint every time I powered it on. When I reset the PRAM, the first chime was faint, then the 2nd chime was normal volume. It has since gone back to low volume when trying to power it on. I then did a 2nd PRAM reset and got the same results (1st chime low, 2nd chime normal).

I have a pci-e USB 3 card with a powered drive attached that will periodically give popups stating the drive was improperly ejected (when I hadn't touched the drive).

I am also having problems with the Time Machine backup drive becoming corrupt. It's an internal drive that checks out ok with TechTool Pro. Once I reformat it, TM will work normally at first, then I start getting backup failures. I started ignoring them and it would [usually] eventually backup. I'm leaning towards the power supply going bad, but want to get forum opinion before pulling the trigger on a psu replacement.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Mac Pro startup issues
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: May 30, 2019 02:32PM
How old it the b/u battery (CR2032)?
Are all the drives on the internal SATA-II bus? If not, what controller card
are you using?

I have a pci-e USB 3 card with a powered drive attached that will periodically give popups stating the drive was improperly ejected (when I hadn't touched the drive).
Common problem with cards using an unsupported chipset like Etron or VIA.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Date: May 30, 2019 03:10PM
I thought about the clock battery, but didn't think it would cause the results I'm seeing. I can definitely rule it out and report back.

Also, the hub is Ableconn [www.amazon.com]
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: May 30, 2019 03:48PM
yep, ASM1142 chipset should be fine as long as you're not on 10.11.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Date: May 30, 2019 03:50PM
Thought you were on to something. Clock battery was low, replaced it with a brand new one. Started right up with normal chime. I wanted to boot into single user and run fsck -fy since I've been doing hard shut downs, but when it started shutting down, it pixelated and kept running. So I did another hard shut down. Started it up and got the faint chime. I zapped the PRAM again, faint 1st chime, then normal 2nd chime. Once it logged in, tried restarting and booting into single user, but wouldn't boot into anything. Did a hard shut down, then started it back up, and it gives the faint chime, but does boot into the OS.

When I try to restart or hard shut down, I have to press the power button a two to three times to get it to boot. It's like it's cycling the power the first or second time I press the button (and the light doesn't come on).

It seems to be booting better than before I replaced the battery, but still not right. The only other thing I can try is swapping out the video card. But, I'm still leaning toward a bad PSU.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 30, 2019 04:43PM
Probably bad PSU. I'm thinking about selling mine and replacing with a Mac Mini.....
Posted by: Forrest
Date: May 30, 2019 05:00PM
It can't hurt to reseat the video card.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 30, 2019 05:07PM
Sounds like a power supply.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: May 30, 2019 07:16PM
I reseated the video card when I pulled it to replace the clock battery, which was right behind it. What I didn’t try was swapping out the video card with another video card. But, based on what I’m observing, I’m pretty certain it’s the power supply. I found one on eBay for $65 shipped - not terrible
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 31, 2019 06:07AM
you could also re-seat the RAM modules, maybe even swap some or remove the ones you added and keep only OEM RAM for a while during troubleshooting.

I am no expert in these, but yes the power supply could go bad.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 98
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020