advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Your take on VirusBarrier x4
Posted by: DP
Date: January 24, 2007 07:48AM
From Allume Systems for $60. It's tag line is "Think Macs don't get viruses?" Says it'll also fix viruses if Windows is installed. At school where I teach on Intel Macs we had an issue with a virus in Word which just caused some wonkiness (no real damage) and this program says it'll fix it in Word, Excel, etc. Is this something legitimate to consider?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Your take on VirusBarrier x4
Posted by: Spiff
Date: January 24, 2007 08:52AM
If you are using Windows on a Mac, you need antivirus software and firewall protection for the Windows component. That's my take. Windows viruses will NOT affect the Mac OS partition.

However, not sure which Antivirus to use for myself for my future intel mac, just yet. I'm still doing research.
Posted by: GeneL
Date: January 24, 2007 09:06AM
I'm using Virus Barrier (I don't know anything about the X4 version, although I'm using Intego's Net Barrier X4 and Personal Back up X4 and I like both applications).

I've been getting updates pretty frequently lately, so I presume Intego must be responding to more activity from bad guys aimed at my Mac.

Whether this application is actually doing anything for me I can't say, but as far as I know, I don't have any viruses grinning smiley

One good thing, Intego is very responsive to phone inquiries.

The last time I actually had a virus problem was back on my SE-30/OS7.x. I seem to remember using a Norton anti-virus app to remove it, but that was a long time ago.

As I always say, "that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

GeneL
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 24, 2007 11:46AM
how can you "fix" or "respond" to something that doesnt exist?

sorry, i only see it as good money for nothing

a word macro virus is not an OS X virus

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Monster
Date: January 24, 2007 12:02PM
I use ClamXav on my Mac, and the only reason I do that is because I download things for my Windows computers on it.

The Taoist Zhuangzi said, "Good order results spontaneously when things are let alone".
The sociologist, and historian, Adam Ferguson described the phenomenon of spontaneous order in society as the "result of human action, but not the execution of any human design".
Posted by: GeneL
Date: January 24, 2007 05:53PM
jdc
"VISTA" an acronym for the top five Windows problems: Viruses,
Intrusions, Spyware, Trojans and Adware.

Very interesting! I didn't know that grinning smiley

GeneL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 134
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020