advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone have a peripheral or other device they thought useless, but ended up using it?
Posted by: DP
Date: June 12, 2019 04:43PM
I bought a used late-2012 iMac and it came with a few extra things including an external wireless touchpad. I thought, why would anyone buy a touchpad with a desktop computer? I had never even looked at it over the past 4 years.

Well, I finally found a use for it. After I had shut down my iMac while I went Up North for a few days, I lit it up and my Logitech BT mouse wasn't working (fresh batteries made no difference). After tapping, clicking, shaking, etc., and nothing happening, I thought of the touchpad. I have a Magic Mouse somewhere and I could have stolen the one from my wife's iMac (temporarily, of course), but I put batteries in the touchpad, clicked on Sys Prefs, and I could go to the BT menu, did a couple things, and there was the mouse again, and all is well.

And, the touchpad is back in the drawer, awaiting my next crisis...

Summer scene...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone have a peripheral or other device they thought useless, but ended up using it?
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 12, 2019 05:23PM
I use a touchpad 10 hours a day on my iMac.

No more carpal tunnel. My hand would go numb in minutes using a mouse, even a good one.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Re: Anyone have a peripheral or other device they thought useless, but ended up using it?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 12, 2019 05:48PM
I picked up a Belkin TB2 dock on a half-price sale awhile back with the intention of picking up a silver (2015) MBP shortly thereafter and getting rid of my old desktop (2009 mini), but then the 2016 MBPs came out and I decided to wait and see how those turned out and with all of the problems on the 2016s and various other stuff going on I ended up sticking with my old laptop.

The Belkin sat NIB (new-in-box) under my desk for a couple of years.

...But I picked up a refurb 2014 mini to replace the 2009 and the dock was a nice add-on for the extra ports.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 12, 2019 06:18PM
....what about one's ********........???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: June 12, 2019 06:21PM
jdc
I use a touchpad 10 hours a day on my iMac.

No more carpal tunnel. My hand would go numb in minutes using a mouse, even a good one.

Did you ever try a Contour Design mouse? They make them in different sizes and they have three buttons plus a scroll wheel and rocker switch on the side which your thumb operates. I had carpal tunnel problems and tennis elbow from using the old Apple mice. I have the top buttons set to click, click-lock, and double-click. To drag something, I use the click-lock button, so an item can be moved several folder levels deep with NO downward pressure on the mouse button. Before I got a Contour, I had a Logitech Mouseman (ADB!) with the same button setup. That setup eliminated the tennis elbow and the carpal tunnel twinges.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 12, 2019 06:47PM
Hung on to an 15” old Dell monitor for no compelling reason, but several years later dragged it out to diagnose whether it was a newer monitor or its attached video adapter that had failed (it was the newer monitor.) sad smiley
Posted by: jonny
Date: June 12, 2019 07:02PM
Griffin Powermate. Had it for years and couldn't get it to work. Got a new machine and it worked! Great volume knob, ff/rew know and zoom knob in photoshop.
Date: June 12, 2019 07:16PM
Old HP 6M LaserJet printer. Old HP LaserJet printers do not die, they just fade away...

D & C
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: June 12, 2019 07:20PM
Radioshack USB Scale™

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 12, 2019 07:50PM
I had a girlfriend who said exactly that one time...about me.
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 12, 2019 09:05PM
ka jowct
Did you ever try a Contour Design mouse?

No, but did try several of the anker versions. Just couldnt get comfy. My fingers always felt like they were sliding off.

I should put them on the for sale side, Ive got a wired and BT one.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: June 12, 2019 09:30PM
I use a Magic Trackpad with my MacBook Air everyday.

Grateful11
Posted by: datbeme
Date: June 12, 2019 09:42PM
Original Magic Mouse for me, and it's well-documented by the forum:

Found it unusable from the start in February of 2010. [forums.macresource.com]

Got another one with a new iMac shortly thereafter and still had no use for either one as of December 2015. [forums.macresource.com]

Sometime in the last couple years, the USB wireless dongle mice started acting funky with my MBP, so I started using one of the two Magic Mice out of necessity…many years after acquiring them.

I generally like it now—especially the scrolling. It does the job, but it seems like I'm swapping Eneloops way too often, it loses the BT connection more frequently than it should, and it's unusable on glossy kitchen countertops where my other mice work fine.
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 13, 2019 04:29AM
Every Mac prior to 2012 used to come with an IR remote. Remember those when one was supposed to make a HTPC using Front Row? We collected a pile of them, I even have some still with their plastic wrap.

Turns out, they work fine with newer Apple TVs.

My family lost our aluminum ATV3 remote, we now use an older white/plastic remote from a white MacBook. Works fine.
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 13, 2019 04:31AM
datbeme
Original Magic Mouse for me, and it's well-documented by the forum:

Found it unusable from the start in February of 2010. [forums.macresource.com]

Got another one with a new iMac shortly thereafter and still had no use for either one as of December 2015. [forums.macresource.com]

Sometime in the last couple years, the USB wireless dongle mice started acting funky with my MBP, so I started using one of the two Magic Mice out of necessity…many years after acquiring them.

I generally like it now—especially the scrolling. It does the job, but it seems like I'm swapping Eneloops way too often, it loses the BT connection more frequently than it should, and it's unusable on glossy kitchen countertops where my other mice work fine.

I cannot count the number of Magic Mice that are largely unused in my household. No one prefers them over a $15 Logitech scrollwheel mice. I'm the only one that will even use them, and I also prefer the Logitech mice.
Posted by: DP
Date: June 13, 2019 06:39AM
Interesting opinions about the Magic Mouse. I don't use mine either because my hand gets sore after a while-it seems I need a higher profile mouse to "rest" my hand on while using one.

Grateful-why do you use a peripheral Trackpad with a machine that has a built in Trackpad? Too small an area?

Summer scene...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: June 13, 2019 08:04AM

This was a very cheap impulse purchase from computergeeks.com (defunct). I found it useless initially, but years later used it with the help of One-Click macros to edit commercials out of OTA Dallas episodes on a B&W G3 using QuickTime Pro, prior to burning the episodes to DVD.
Posted by: 3d
Date: June 13, 2019 08:19AM
An egg slicer. Found it in the kitchen drawer and wondered who the heck wasted money on this. Just use a knife. Then I used it a couple of times and it actually works really well for the purpose.

Posted by: mspace
Date: June 13, 2019 08:26AM
3d
An egg slicer. Found it in the kitchen drawer and wondered who the heck wasted money on this. Just use a knife. Then I used it a couple of times and it actually works really well for the purpose.

And for mushrooms! yum smiley
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 13, 2019 08:43AM
.......a spouse.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 79
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020