advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
$1200 for a Mazda LED Lightbulb? No way
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 13, 2019 06:02AM
2016 Mazda CX-5. Otherwise a very reliable car so far (3 years + 1 month, 32k miles). We just noticed one of the daytime running lights flickers. I don't know when it started doing that, probably within the warranty period We noticed a few weeks ago but I didn't have time to look into it. I thought it should be a $20-50 LED bulb.

So now I try to find the part at rockauto.com and I can't seem to find it. Then I google it and I find this thread

[www.mazdas247.com]

$1200 for one. One guy has both defective and complained to Mazda corporate. They offered a $2000 discount. He still seems pissed to have to pay $400 for 2 LED bulbs.

I am not sure what I will do. I will probably reach to Mazda to see if they offer a discount. The $1200 seems to much, I won't pay that. I can live without it. The low and high beams are OK.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: $1200 for a Mazda LED Lightbulb? No way
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 13, 2019 06:24AM
Never thought about those "fancy" running lights that are so common now that wrap around housings, etc. Replacing one would be difficult, and likely quite expensive (as you discovered)

Good luck

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 13, 2019 06:29AM
....can one just....LED it be.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: June 13, 2019 06:35AM
iirc, 2010-2011 Audis like the A6 had a sealed LED headlight asmy. that was $450.
A friend had one blow out @ 48k miles & Audi replaced both sides under warranty.

It's now should be SOP to check warranty coverage for specified exclusions before you buy a new car, regardless of its price and brand.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2019 06:37AM by MrNoBody.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: June 13, 2019 06:53AM
I had an LED tail light go out on a 2012 Mercedes. The dealer replaced the LED board that held a bunch of LED lights for the brakes and tail light on that side. One LED failed but the entire board gets replaced. Under Warranty
Date: June 13, 2019 08:02AM
It's now should be SOP to check warranty coverage for specified exclusions before you buy a new car, regardless of its price and brand.

Yes but can you predict which parts will fail, and will the dealer give you accurate costs for a long list of parts that may or may never fail?

I get an oil change and Apple CarPlay update next week and I will talk to them but the bulb.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: June 13, 2019 08:10AM
$1200 is insane.
I commend you for keeping your cool; I'd have blown an aneurysm.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 13, 2019 09:19AM
I’m surprised this is a warranty item. Seems like what would be classed as normal maintenance, like windshield wiper blades or tires.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: June 13, 2019 11:30AM
Speedy
I’m surprised this is a warranty item. Seems like what would be classed as normal maintenance, like windshield wiper blades or tires.

A halogen headlight, or incandescent brake or turn signal light, sure, I'd consider that maintenance. But they way they are building LED lights into the design of the car nowadays, I'd certainly have the expectation that an LED bulb would last at least through the warranty.
Date: June 13, 2019 12:06PM
I guess $999 for a monitor stand doesn't look so bad now...

D & C
Date: June 13, 2019 12:07PM
it is not about whether this is a warranty item or not. I am fine either way. What I do not like is that they only last 3 years/30k miles and they fail. In fact I am also fine with that. I do not like the COST though. $1200 for one? some people on that forum said that Mazda USA covered $1000 for one or $2000 for both, but you are still looking at $200/400 repair bill. And 3 more year later I doubt Mazda would cover it again.

I have not read all the posts, but it appear somewhere along the way, in the 8th or 9th revision (H or J?) they may have finally fixed the issues. It was also confusion that the first 3-4 revisions were not really labeled properly, and even revision J has some stickers with revision H.

I have an oil change next week and let's see what they say.
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 13, 2019 12:40PM
Are you sure thats not the cost for the entire assembly?

When we got into an accident in my wifes 2010 mazda 3, with swiveling LED lights -- they had to replace the whole unit at a cost of $900 each. Guy told me luxury cars were double+ $.

So perhaps its the whole unit cost you are seeing?

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 13, 2019 12:59PM
Dazed & Confused (Mobile)
I guess $999 for a monitor stand doesn't look so bad now...

D & C

almost *Exactly* what I was thinking while reading the thread.... I was starting to think there is some sort of corporate collusion in price gouging going on.... like they're all starting to take cues from the oil companies.
==
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 13, 2019 01:15PM
.....just get.....lit.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: June 13, 2019 01:26PM
jdc
Are you sure thats not the cost for the entire assembly?

When we got into an accident in my wifes 2010 mazda 3, with swiveling LED lights -- they had to replace the whole unit at a cost of $900 each. Guy told me luxury cars were double+ $.

So perhaps its the whole unit cost you are seeing?

I am not exactly sure what needs to be replaced, some people say it is not the LED itself. I think that may be correct, since it appears to be several LEDs and they all flicker. I think it is a PCB board where these LEDs are mounted. I still do not understand why it is so expensive. I have to read more of that thread which I didn’t have time to do last night.
Date: June 13, 2019 01:26PM
NewtonMP2100
.....just get.....lit.....

Thanks darling, very cute as always.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 13, 2019 03:21PM
Check to see if you can find one at a local auto wrecking yard.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: June 13, 2019 09:59PM
I always use eBay for auto headlights or tail light assemblies.

Sometimes it not there right NOW, but usually within a week or two it will show up.

[www.ebay.com]

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: June 14, 2019 06:02AM
Markintosh
I always use eBay for auto headlights or tail light assemblies.

Sometimes it not there right NOW, but usually within a week or two it will show up.

[www.ebay.com]

They show one inside the fog light. Mine is in the upper headlight assembly and has a really weird shape, it comes from the side and comes down and goes around the light-bulb.

$1200 MSRP, apparently they reduced it now to $800, and there is a website that has it for 30% off.

[www.oemvehicleparts.com]

[www.oemvehicleparts.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2019 06:05AM by space-time.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 14, 2019 03:16PM
Just going to say that even an older style incandescent bulb headlamp housing will run into the several hundred $ range as new. I get that your housing is probably fine, but when it's integrated your have no other choice. I still miss having glass headlamps that would never fog up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 100
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020