advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Expensive prescription medication sample boxes unused, unexpired... Hate to waste them
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 13, 2019 09:44AM
My youngest son had a bunch of sample boxes of a super expensive antidepressant medication his doctor gave him (along with a prescription). He tried it for a week and decided is wasn't going to work. I hate to toss them until the med collection point at the pharmacy. Is there any sort of recovery process for these, like some sort of mental health organization that can use them ? Factory sealed.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Expensive prescription medication sample boxes unused, unexpired... Hate to waste them
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 13, 2019 09:54AM
Can you give them back to the doctor?
Re: Expensive prescription medication sample boxes unused, unexpired... Hate to waste them
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 13, 2019 09:59AM
cbelt3
My youngest son had a bunch of sample boxes of a super expensive antidepressant medication his doctor gave him (along with a prescription). He tried it for a week and decided is wasn't going to work. I hate to toss them until the med collection point at the pharmacy. Is there any sort of recovery process for these, like some sort of mental health organization that can use them ? Factory sealed.

Take them back to the prescribing physician, unopened and sealed. They may be able to support another patient with them.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 13, 2019 10:40AM
I seriously doubt any organization or doctor will use them. The potential liability is too great to risk.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 13, 2019 10:42AM
.....*raises hand*......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Ammo
Date: June 13, 2019 10:50AM
A one week trial is probably too short a time to evaluate the medication’s effectiveness, so I assume he had another reason to quit before then.

I don’t think it’s a good idea to directly dispose of them in the trash or flush them down the toilet, although there are other ways to safely do so at home. I think some police stations accept this sort of things.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: Randalls
Date: June 13, 2019 12:30PM
Our local CVS stores have a drug collection bin near the Pharmacy counter
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 13, 2019 12:55PM
Industrial plasma incinerator. If your son didn't like taking it, what makes you think someone else would just because it has an outrageous list price? wink smiley

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 13, 2019 01:28PM
Post here

[forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: pqrst
Date: June 13, 2019 02:01PM
Understand the desire to not want them to go to waste but I have to agree, either return to doctor or dispose in a meds drop off location.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: June 13, 2019 02:04PM
Ombligo
I seriously doubt any organization or doctor will use them. The potential liability is too great to risk.

Psychiatrists (and other docs, but especially psychiatrists) often use samples to help patients test a medication before purchasing an (often expensive) prescription. I've had doctors provide me with samples when I could not afford the medication, period, prescription or otherwise.

It's a very imperfect system, but samples are important to indigent and struggling patients, and throwing away or incinerating these is a mistake.

The reason I suggested returning them to the prescribing physician is because that doctor knows where the samples originated (their office), knows who they went to (cbelt3's kid), and they are coming back, unopened, from that same patient. Doctors DO have to worry about liability, but this is an almost negligible risk.

Give them back. They didn't work for this patient, but they could save someone else's life. Someone who might, through no fault of their own, be unable to afford the medication.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 13, 2019 02:45PM
Hang onto them until the med goes generic, then you won't feel so bad about tossing them. :-)
==
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: June 13, 2019 03:05PM
rjmacs
Ombligo

Psychiatrists (and other docs, but especially psychiatrists) often use samples to help patients test a medication before purchasing an (often expensive) prescription. I've had doctors provide me with samples when I could not afford the medication, period, prescription or otherwise.

It's a very imperfect system, but samples are important to indigent and struggling patients, and throwing away or incinerating these is a mistake.

The reason I suggested returning them to the prescribing physician is because that doctor knows where the samples originated (their office), knows who they went to (cbelt3's kid), and they are coming back, unopened, from that same patient. Doctors DO have to worry about liability, but this is an almost negligible risk.

Give them back. They didn't work for this patient, but they could save someone else's life. Someone who might, through no fault of their own, be unable to afford the medication.

This. I had.a friend at my old job who brought me samples of a really good migraine med, from a neurologist that this friend knew very well. It helped a lot, as I’d been laid off and was freelancing in between collecting unemployment. It’s the best migraine med I’ve used, but it mostly hasn’t been in the formulary of whatever insurance I have had.

My old vet used to redistribute unused portions of pet meds to and from clients they trusted. They worked with a number of folks who really needed that help.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 13, 2019 04:00PM
Ammo
A one week trial is probably too short a time to evaluate the medication’s effectiveness, so I assume he had another reason to quit before then.

This^

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: June 13, 2019 04:35PM
Post them on For Sale & Free Items? smiley-shocked003

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 13, 2019 10:00PM
Rick-o

Too late. See my post above.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: June 13, 2019 11:03PM
The prescriber will probably take them back. If not, see if there is a free clinic in your city that might take them.

Before giving up altogether on the med, the prescriber should be notified that it has been stopped, and of the reason for stopping it. As mentioned by others above, one week is not nearly enough time to assess how well a med is working. Even harmless side effects can improve, if given a chance.
Posted by: mrp-admin
Date: June 14, 2019 09:33AM
FYI the post on the For Sale & Free forum has been removed - sorry, that's not exactly legal but you all know who to ask if you are interested smiling smiley

Thank you
MRF-Admin
Posted by: Tiki2000
Date: June 14, 2019 10:20AM
I've run into the same problem myself (prescription you don't want to just throw away). Found a local group that accepted 'donated' prescriptions for those who couldn't afford to fill theirs. They weren't nationally affiliated with anybody (church basement local nurse), so that doesn't help you with your locality. All I can say is that you'll have to look/ask around for something similar, but its worth it in the end...
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 14, 2019 12:54PM

This make terrific sense.

Any other doctor or facility would very likely just have the medications destroyed, having no provenance, and they be wise to do so.

But for the reasons noted above, cbelt's doc could reasonably consider redistributing them.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: June 14, 2019 06:19PM
space-time
Rick-o

Too late. See my post above.

Doh! I saw your link and thought it was pointing to an older, similar thread. My bad.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 80
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020