advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iPhone 7 vs iPhone 8?
Posted by: BobC
Date: June 14, 2019 12:32PM
I'm considering moving on from my trusty iPhone SE 32GB, and I'm considering either a used ("Amazon renewed") iPhone 7 128GB or iPhone 8 64GB. I've bought other items in that Amazon program, and with the extra warranty that also covers accidental damage, I'm OK with the process. I prefer Touch ID to Face ID, so I don't want any newer models. I'll miss the 3.5mm jack, but often use BT now anyway.

The iPhone 8 would total about $170 more than the iPhone 7, and I'm trying to decide whether that's worth it. The 32GB SE has been just enough storage, so I'd like a bit more, but 64GB vs 128GB isn't a big deal to me. From what I've read, the main advantages of the 8 are:
- glass back enabling Qi charging (not a draw for me)
- TrueTone camera (again, not a factor)
- A11 processor is faster
- A11 processor is likely to be supported for more future iOS versions.

All in all, I think the 7 would be fine for me, and I'd enjoy its increased speed, screen size, & camera specs vs. the SE. I'm not sure the extra-extra speed of the 8 would be important, and I know that there's always a limit to future-proofing. But I'd be glad to get any opinions on advantages of the 8, if anyone has strong feelings about the choice. Thanks..
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iPhone 7 vs iPhone 8?
Posted by: hal
Date: June 14, 2019 12:44PM
I wrote a post about how thrilled I was with my upgrade from an iP6 to an iP7. Very pleased that I didn't go 8.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 14, 2019 12:46PM
Bob,

iPhone 8. It's a no-brainer for one simple reason. Wireless charging. You may not think of it as a draw right now but, once you use wireless charging, you don't want to go without it.

My wife replaced an aging iPhone 5 and was choosing between a 7 and an 8. She went for the 8 and doesn't regret it one bit. She absolutely adores wireless charging. Bring phone home. Drop it on the charger. No messing with cables and such.

Spends the bucks for the 8 and get a good wireless charger for it. She has this one:

[www.amazon.com]

I like it enough that I bought one for my office so my ops guy can use it to charge his wireless friendly iphone.

If I were to replace my iPhone 6S and was looking at a 7 or an 8, I wouldn't think about it at all. I'd get an 8. No doubt about it. Wireless charging alone makes it worth the extra bucks. Everything else is a bonus.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2019 12:47PM by Robert M.
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: June 14, 2019 01:29PM
Robert M
iPhone 8. It's a no-brainer for one simple reason. Wireless charging.

[www.amazon.com]

Agree 100%. And I also have that same charger by my bed. I keep a cheaper flat one on my desk at the office.
Posted by: raz
Date: June 14, 2019 01:39PM
+1

Wireless charging is a must. No more fumbling with lightning cables that fail after a year of two. Put the phone down, and pick it up later charged.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Cary
Date: June 14, 2019 01:43PM
Bob,

Robert and I often disagree (especially about Brother printers), but I agree with him 100%. You may not appreciate wireless charging, but that's only because you haven't used it.

Being freed from Lightning cables is wonderful. I have a charger at my desk, a charger on my nightstand, and just plop it on one of them to charge.

My kids are not breaking lightning cables left and right.

To me, it's the best thing about the phone.

Cary
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 14, 2019 03:57PM
Whats the cost on these, can we ask?

I hear you about the face ID thing, but it really is pretty sweet. And instant.

Assuming you arent tied to any carrier? Someone else in your household need a photo? ATT offers BOGO on iPhone XRs and iPhone 8's -- PLUS a $250 gift card.

2 XRs for $750 = $375 each - $250 GC = $250 each. thats cheap. (8 would be cheaper)

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2019 06:46PM by jdc.
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 14, 2019 05:28PM
Wireless is the way to go.

The XR is the best deal right now for most.

But I can see preferring the home button. Then it’s the 8.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 14, 2019 06:49PM
The ATT Xr deal sounds good, but what is the monthly contract cost? For one line I'm seeing $80/m for 24 months - cost w/phone = $2300

My son pays $35 month for his MVNO plan and supplies his own phone (New Xr is $700 on Swappa), so total is $1540. That is a $760 difference

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: June 14, 2019 07:06PM
Ombligo
The ATT Xr deal sounds good, but what is the monthly contract cost? For one line I'm seeing $80/m for 24 months - cost w/phone = $2300

My son pays $35 month for his MVNO plan and supplies his own phone (New Xr is $700 on Swappa), so total is $1540. That is a $760 difference

No idea. Think I saw boost? with an XR deal for $650.

Im totally guessing here -- but figuring the ATT deal assumes you have/need/want 2 users, hence the BOGO deal. So if the plan for 2 was $80, then $40 each person/mo. Which sounds better? I wouldnt expect the big guys like ATT to have the best pricing, especaily vs a MVNo.

----

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2019 07:07PM by jdc.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 14, 2019 08:56PM
jdc
So if the plan for 2 was $80, then $40 each person/mo. Which sounds better? I wouldn't expect the big guys like ATT to have the best pricing, especially vs an MVNo.

Nope - it was $80 for 1 line, $75 for 2, $60 for 3, and $40 for 4.

So for two, it would be $2550 (or $106/month)

Back to the OP - 7 vs 8. Given only that choice, I'd go with a 7 (though in reality, I'd get another SE as I like the size better). If waiting is an option, there have been strong rumors of an SE2 coming in the fall. Reports have it the size of the SE, the guts of an 8, and a full screen. It's only a rumor, but if Apple is going to do it, it would be this Fall or never.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: decay
Date: June 14, 2019 10:25PM
I have a 7 (personal) and 8 (work). I don't notice much difference, but the 8 will certainly take a higher iOS upgrade than the 7 will, moving forward.

---
Posted by: gabester
Date: June 14, 2019 11:05PM
My work phone was upgraded to an 8 from a 6 at the start of the year. I prefer the SE form factor personally, but I am pleased with the camera. Be aware the 8 moves away from the physical button so you have to learn some different reset commands. One time my phone crashed with the black screen and pinwheel... I didn't know what to do, thinking I'd need to wait until the battery drained down. No, you just have to hold the side power and volume up rocker buttons...

For your use case I'd say get the 7 and save the money, you can always put that towards a newer phone in a couple years and that will get you a chunk of the way there...
Date: June 15, 2019 02:22AM
Ombligo
jdc
So if the plan for 2 was $80, then $40 each person/mo. Which sounds better? I wouldn't expect the big guys like ATT to have the best pricing, especially vs an MVNo.

Nope - it was $80 for 1 line, $75 for 2, $60 for 3, and $40 for 4.

So for two, it would be $2550 (or $106/month)

Thanks for doing the legwork. I really have no idea, and have no reason to look.

Im with ATT, did the BOGO Xr last year for the wife and oldest (I use a SE, which is plenty) and I think our bill is about $185 -- 4 phones, 2 paid for and the Xrs. I think the Xrs are $25/mo after discount. unlimited everything. No idea if I could pay the Xr plan off early.

----

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 15, 2019 03:45PM
....iPhone 7.....had the grayed out speaker issue that affects some......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Carm
Date: June 15, 2019 05:18PM
NewtonMP2100
....iPhone 7.....had the grayed out speaker issue that affects some......
I had a friend whose iPhone 7 Plus was affected by that. Mine was affected by the no cellular signal. It got fixed in the recall.

Anyways, I was going to move to the 8, I was on the 7, but just skipped it and went to the XR. I thought I would miss the button, but I don’t really. And wireless charging is a toss up. I find myself charging at night with the cable while I use my phone. Can’t do that with wireless charging. I just lay my phone down and fall asleep (or drop it on the floor) I use my phone more than my laptop.
Posted by: BobC
Date: June 17, 2019 12:05PM
Thanks, everyone. The raves about wireless charging are especially helpful to hear, since that's one of the "things beyond my ken" that I know I don't know how to assess.

For the price question from jdc, these are the Amazon Renewed phone prices plus the 2-year Asurion failure & damage plan.
- iPhone 7 128GB $255 + $55
- iPhone 8 64GB $380 + $90

That's a significant % of the phone price, but I've had enough times when an extended warranty on mobile devices was useful that I'd plan to get one here, especially since Amazon Renewed only has a 90-day guarantee & my credit card warranty protection doesn't cover refurbs.

I've got a sliver of hope for the SE2 rumors, so I'm going to wait for the September announcements, then decide. Right now, barring a minor windfall, I think I'd go for the 7 and keep the difference banked for a future phone.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 68
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020