advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Recommend a cordless chainsaw about 40V and 14" and weed eater system
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 22, 2019 06:56PM
That's probably my limit in size due to my anemia.

Edit: 14" bar, not 24.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2019 10:41PM by Dennis S.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Recommend a cordless chainsaw about 40V and 24" and weed eater system
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 22, 2019 06:58PM
I'm looking to get the Ego versions, but I haven't purchased them yet.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 22, 2019 07:02PM
Coworker has the ego system. Loves them.i have the ryobi 18v chainsaw and weed eater. It’s great. I also got the 40v ryobi and it works with all my click link attachments, even the rototiller. Love that too. It’s heavier and vibrates a bit.
Posted by: cyclemax
Date: June 22, 2019 07:15PM
I have the Greenworks 80V system. They also have a 40V system. Going on my fourth season. Have the blower, hedge trimmer and line trimmer. All work great. Amazon often has sales on the 40V.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 22, 2019 07:39PM
We bought a Greenworks chainsaw. I used it for an hour or two, then parked it in our garage over the winter. The battery didn’t survive (my fault, -20 weather is hard on batteries, the battery could have come indoors) and there was no replacement battery available, either from Greenworks or aftermarket. Now it sits waiting to get recycled or trashed. I replaced it with a corded electric which is fine for our 1/4 acre plot.

cyclemax
I have the Greenworks 80V system. They also have a 40V system. Going on my fourth season. Have the blower, hedge trimmer and line trimmer. All work great. Amazon often has sales on the 40V.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 22, 2019 08:44PM
>my fault, -20 weather is hard on batteries, the battery could have come indoors

Good warning.

I'm looking at similar tools, most importantly a mower. Ego gets the highest rating on wirecutter, and their self propelled mower is $500....I'd like to spend less but welp I might as well get what I know is good.

Seems like you buy into a system the first time you get a battery. Might as well get tools that all use the same batteries.

Posted by: davester
Date: June 22, 2019 10:29PM
I was looking to replace my gasoline saw and am pretty much decided on an Oregon self-sharpening chainsaw. They make both a rechargeable 40v [www.amazon.com] and a (much cheaper) corded version. I'd probably go for the corded version since it would only be used around my house.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 22, 2019 10:36PM
I'm happy w my EGO chainsaw, but I didn't have to pay for it (it was a gift).

I'm not a lumberjack (cue Monty Python references), but for trimming off tree branches and cutting up average to smaller logs, it's been great.
Date: June 22, 2019 10:39PM
pdq

I'm not a lumberjack (cue Monty Python references), but for trimming off tree branches and cutting up average to smaller logs, it's been great.

Have you had trouble with he chain coming off? I read that was a problem.
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 22, 2019 10:46PM
Dennis S
pdq

Have you had trouble with he chain coming off? I read that was a problem.

Only once, and it was my fault (cutting underside of largish branch awkwardly, up in a tree, went too far and the branch started to drop and grabbed on to the blade - twisting things around to free it, the chain came off.)

It's easy to put back on (no tools required) and to tighten chain slack as needed.
Re: Recommend a cordless chainsaw about 40V and 14" and weed eater system
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: June 23, 2019 06:22AM
I have the Dewalt 40V chainsaw (16" stock but you could swap to a 14" bar but I don't recommend it) and the 40V string trimmer. I have run the saws (2 of them) long enough and hard enough to require both to be sent back for warranty service. The chain tensioner worm gear broke on each one.

The Dewalt has a chronic problem of the chain popping off the sprocket under certain conditions of use.

If you are using it for light duty and not cutting many years worth of firewood like I have, it will probably do very well.

I much prefer the engineering of my newer Makita top-handled 10" chainsaw (XCU06). This has the traditional wrench-tightened bolt instead of a tool-free design which allows for beefier construction and less fiddling while using. The tool-free designs of the Dewalt and Makita more require frequent readjusting during using. The Makita has a better sprocket design than the Dewalt.

Makita makes a 14"/16" bar rear-handled 36V chainsaw (XCU07) that will likely be my next chainsaw purchase. It has the same general commercial-quality design as the smaller one I have.

The Dewalt 40V weed eater has served me very pretty well. I have used it hard (two of them also... I ran over one of them with my tractor after it bounced out of the bucket while transporting. Bent handle severely but still runs fine.) The runtime and the power is great.

The only trouble I have with it is when trimming very tall growth. If you cut the stems at the bottom and leave a long top, the long cut vegetation will wrap around the trimmer head and get clogged and difficult to clear in the narrow gap. I think they could have engineered the head better to not have a space that permits such clogging or to make it easier to reach in and clear the clog.

I haven't tried a Makita string trimmer, but the new XRU09 model looks attractive. They describe that it has a "Reverse rotation function allows operator to quickly clear trimmer head of entangled grass and weeds".
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: June 23, 2019 07:31AM
I have a Kobalt 12" 40A saw that works pretty well, even on some fairly hefty logs, though I wish I had a bigger one now. The chain comes off sometimes. It needs sharpening, too; I bought a sharpening gizmo at Harbor Freight, but haven't learned how to use it yet. No other 'weed' gadgets.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 23, 2019 08:33PM
I got a Ryobi 40 V chainsaw since I already have a mower with that battery line. It cuts really fast but the wimpy chain stretches/wears at a comparably fast rate if you don't keep the chain oil reservoir full. It uses about a pint an hour of continuous use.

I wouldn't take it out in the wild without at least two spare batteries and a spare chain. The two big problems are they don't seem to sell replacement chains, and a single 4 Ah battery alone is almost as much as the saw.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: June 23, 2019 08:40PM
Do these saws take special chains or bars?
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: June 23, 2019 09:16PM
I have the Greenworks leaf blower, cultivator (mini rototiller), and weed eater (string trimmer/weed whacker). I have two batteries, and two chargers. They work incredibly well, in my opinion. The batteries fully charge in about 40 minutes, and I get 30 - 45 minutes of run-time, depending on how demanding I'm being (the tiller obviously puts more drain on the battery than the leafblower).

I don't have any reservation in recommending any of them.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 23, 2019 10:18PM
Dennis S

My Ryobi doesn't say what size chain it takes, just a part number that doesn't match anything else currently for sale. I imagine I could find something compatible if I take it to a repair place. I have not tried that yet. Worse case, I would need a different bar ($20) so I could use a more standard chain that cuts a little slower.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: June 24, 2019 05:29AM
Dennis S

Most battery-powered saws I have seen take chains that have a narrower kerf (width of cut) compared to gasoline-powered saws, but they still use industry standard Oregon bars and chains. I do not have buy special Dewalt or Makita chains.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 426
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020