Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
solar power in the NE
Posted by: Fritz
Date: July 08, 2019 07:06AM
anyone done a recent install in the NE?
We don't have alot of clear roof, but thinking, even if enough to power the fridge, water heater, a TV and the interwebs during an outage (not that the interwebs necessarily survive an outage all the time).
Rather avoid a gas or ng generator. They all seem to be pretty noisy judging from the neighbors. Nor do we need 10kw.
Experience, things to know. Favorite 6' tall actress.

!#$@@$#!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: solar power in the NE
Posted by: PeterW
Date: July 08, 2019 07:13AM
Generally an outage is not accompanied by decent enough weather to power a solar array. And forget the water heater.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 08, 2019 07:38AM
[www.google.com]

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 08, 2019 07:39AM
some (most?) solar panels do not work during a power outage. I think the inverter needs AC power to function correctly and convert DC into AC. I assume there are newer units that can do this during a power outage, or you could somehow trick the inverters to start without AC power, but I am not expert.

Who is the Favorite 6' tall actress?
Date: July 08, 2019 08:05AM
Natascha McElhone
Robin Wright
Charlize Theron
Famke Janssen
Uma

though they are not 6', perhaps fave tallish actresses.

!#$@@$#!
Posted by: Gareth
Date: July 08, 2019 08:43AM
You need a battery (i.e. Tesla Power Wall) to have power during an outage. Solar panel installations cut out during a power outage because their output is variable and is normally balanced by your incoming power and also so that maintenance crews don't encounter live wires while trying to do repairs (i.e. if your panel is putting power back into the grid during an outage).
Date: July 08, 2019 08:44AM
Gareth
You need a battery (i.e. Tesla Power Wall) to have power during an outage.

ah screw it then. Not worth it now. Darn the Luck ! ! !

!#$@@$#!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2019 08:45AM by Fritz.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 08, 2019 08:45AM
Most people who install solar panels are really bummed to find out that panels don't provide electricity to their home during outages. This is due to how the panels are installed.

In most cases, unless you're living off the grid, the panels don't supply any power to the home that they are installed on. The power goes into the grid. What is sent to the grid offsets the cost of the power the house consumes. One issue is that solar panels need to be cleaned in order to maintain efficiency. Also, the solar panel industry is still fly by night. There are a lot of panel manufacturer's that come and go, so don't count on any warranty.

If you are looking for quiet and clean emergency power, you could look at something like a Tesla wall pack (or whatever they are called). Basically a big self contained battery.
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 08, 2019 09:41AM
This is all good solar info, but I never thought of Robin Wright as particularly tall.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 08, 2019 09:42AM
Acer
This is all good solar info, but I never thought of Robin Wright as particularly tall.
As you wish...
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 08, 2019 10:28AM
cbelt3
Acer
As you wish...

....Wright Said Fred......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: July 08, 2019 10:35AM
Solar shingles.

Nicole Kidman. An inch short of six feet but she could look down on me.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2019 10:36AM by Speedy.
Date: July 08, 2019 10:44AM
Speedy
Nicole Kidman. An inch short of six feet but she could look down on me.

I'd be happy to look her in the eye, what for her present date.

!#$@@$#!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: July 08, 2019 10:59AM
FWIW...
Solar is reaching the cost/efficiency level where even the cloudier Northeast US is 'possible'. But we really don't fit the power levels that the southwest does.

That said, as others have noted, solar power as an emergency power solution requires:
Sufficient power for your load during expected sunlight
Power storage during darkness
The ability to clear snow/leaves from the solar panels / roof
Automated switch to remove mains power and switch to storage
Automated switch and billing system to feed solar power back to the grid after the battery is full and you're still making power.

[www.nrel.gov]

My mother bought a small farm outside of St. Louis, Missouri after Dad died in an accident 23 years ago. She put in a big solar photovoltaic array on a hill near the house that feeds the grid. My sister and her husband and 13 children live with her. (well, 4 of the kids are out of the house so far, and they have three grandchildren). It's an all electric house (heat pump, etc..). A wood burning fireplace insert adds heat for cold winter days when the heat pump can't cut it (It's not a geothermal unit).

In the winter they pay a small electric bill. In the summer they get a check from the electric company. My brother in law drives a Nissan Leaf, and they use battery yard tools and whatnot. The tractors , mom's Subaru, and my sister's huge family van are gas powered.

Mom is thinking about a few Tesla Powerwall batteries for backup power during storms.
Date: July 08, 2019 11:07AM
13! damn, I hope the farm produces!

Guess I have to think about a ng generator. So far they all seem to be way bigger than we want or need. Could run our house and a couple neighbors.
Or a recreational inverter. Friggin' gas though.

!#$@@$#!
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: July 08, 2019 11:41AM
You don't need to size the generator to run the whole house. Figure out what circuits that you want to run and determine the load. Size the generator accordingly. Move those circuits to a properly sized transfer switch.
Date: July 08, 2019 11:46AM
macphanatic
Move those circuits to a properly sized transfer switch.

transfer switch I assume lies in a separate box but still connected to main service?

!#$@@$#!
Posted by: wurm
Date: July 08, 2019 12:32PM
Fritz

transfer switch I assume lies in a separate box but still connected to main service?

Yes. This is the one we bought and had installed last year. There are bigger and smaller ones.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 08, 2019 02:27PM
Or, you can look into DC appliances, maybe freezer and a small car battery array.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: July 08, 2019 07:37PM
We have a 750W gas generator that will run the furnace (natural gas hot water, but needs power for circulator pump), freezer, and fridge. We have battery-powered lanterns, and candles, for lights.

Toyed with the idea of getting a whole-house generator, but figured it would cost maybe $12k, and wouldn't be needed very often (certainly not in the past year). For that kind of money you could get a small travel trailer, with propane furnace, fridge, and hot water. A small solar suitcase unit will keep the 12v battery charged on most days. And you can use the trailer for camping, too. I recommend a molded fiberglass camper like our Casita, though pricier than stick-built ones ((see HERE).

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 11am Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Date: July 08, 2019 09:40PM
thanks wurm.

nice trailer Mr Lynn.

!#$@@$#!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 103
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020