Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
PC security updates
Posted by: rz
Date: January 26, 2007 09:22AM
sorry for the way OT here...

We have a PC in a lab here that's not connected to the internet at all. It is running XP SP2 unpatched. We've noticed some problems with it running some programs, and someone asked me if I could install "all the latest updates". Is there such a thing in the PC world that is like the OS X "combo" updater? I'd like to download as few patches as possible.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: PC security updates
Posted by: Spiff
Date: January 26, 2007 10:21AM
Hook it up to the internet. Go to the startup menu (lower left) and connect to the Windows Updater. This will open IE and then will search your computer's OS to see if any updates are available/needed. The next window will then show you which updates are available for your computer. You can pick and choose which updates you want to install.
Posted by: Donkey Hotay
Date: January 26, 2007 10:56AM
Beware the IE7 update! It will forcibly tie you into the 'Windows Genuine Advantage' phone-home-to-Redmond-and-die-if-anything-is-suspicious mode of operation.

Be absolutely certain you have the original OS installation disk(s) and software keys at hand before you start with the Windows Genuine Advantage. A restore CD does not count.

=DH
Donkey (Ye Olde Farte of ye Internette) Hotay is a Tilted WindmillĀ® enterprise.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 26, 2007 11:47AM
I do not think there is any use installing any patches without checking for spyware and viruses first. M$ stupidly ties a lot of the new updates/security patches to the authentication routine.

A lot of people do not have "original OS installation disk(s)" because the majority of computers ship with hidden restore/installation partitions and no OS disks unless people ask for them when they order the computer.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: rz
Date: January 26, 2007 02:30PM
um, the PC is in a lab with no internet. It cannot be taken out of the lab, even for a brief period. I think you can guess why.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 26, 2007 06:27PM
any way to download all the patches since SP2, and burn them to some CD-Rs and load them that way?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 135
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020