advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Squeaky fan belt when I turn on AC
Posted by: Microman
Date: July 31, 2019 05:50AM
I recently replaced both belts on my 98 Toyota sienna. There was a squealing noise. The old belts did not not look too bad. What I was concerned with was during previous drives when it was wet and I went through a puddle it seemed that the steering wheel locked up as to lose the power steering and I was thinking maybe the power steering belt was slipping. But now I notice a squeaking or clutch or tensioner noise when I turn on the air conditioning goes away when I turn off the air conditioning goes on squeaking when I turn on the air-conditioning again .

So can I safely assume that it’s probably the clutch to the air conditioning pump?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Squeaky fan belt when I turn on AC
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: July 31, 2019 09:42AM
Squealing only when it runs could be either a bad compressor bearing or a bad belt. Have you checked the belt tension? It might have been a 20 year old belt that just looked new. Belt dressing can help if a belt is slipping.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: July 31, 2019 11:19AM
Do you feel any change in the steering response when you turn on the A/C?

I agree, it could be either the compressor, the clutch, or a loose belt that slips under load.

The first thing I'd check is the belt tension and deflection, and general condition.

Belt dressing has always been a messy, temporary fix, for me, so I stopped using it.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Carm
Date: July 31, 2019 11:58AM
RAMd®d
Do you feel any change in the steering response when you turn on the A/C?

I agree, it could be either the compressor, the clutch, or a loose belt that slips under load.

The first thing I'd check is the belt tension and deflection, and general condition.

Belt dressing has always been a messy, temporary fix, for me, so I stopped using it.

This x2, except belt condition. You said they were new.
Check belt tension and deflection (adjust per spec., you can find it online ) if all is well, buy an Mechanics Stethoscope [www.harborfreight.com]
Use it to check the other parts listed including the tensioner. It’s cheaper and easier than replacing parts just on a hunch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2019 12:00PM by Carm.
Posted by: MindMeld
Date: July 31, 2019 12:44PM
Belt dressing is just a temporary fix. However, if the squealing stops after spraying some on the belt then it would seem to verify that the problem is a somewhat loose belt.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 31, 2019 02:36PM
usually the belt will squeak once it becomes varnished from too much wear. new belt is the answer.

if it is the problem to begin with.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 31, 2019 05:26PM
tensioner does sound suspect.
Posted by: Microman
Date: August 01, 2019 10:32AM
New Belt

Scotty Kilmer doesn't recommend using that belt spray stuff.

I have the harbor freight stethoscope thingy, will give a listen using that and a piece of solid dowel to see if I can narrow the location.

thanks for the help
Posted by: iamrfixit
Date: August 01, 2019 05:08PM
Most serpentine belt vehicles use a spring loaded tensioner, that's the first place I'd look. They are a replaceable part and they do fail. Often they'll get a little rusty at the pivot and not move as freely as they should. The spring can also break or just weaken over time. Usually the tensioner will come as a complete assembly that just bolts on.

Also check that idler pulleys and other belt driven components are turning free and smooth. Don't use belt dressing, especially not on a serpentine belt.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 106
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020