advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Suggestions for a better SSD enclosure? Mine keeps disconnecting.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: August 16, 2019 08:39AM
Arrgh. I need a better SSD enclosure for a 960GB SanDisk Ultra 2 SSD that I'm using for TimeMachine. The case I currently have (Sabrent) keeps disconnecting, and the only way to keep it working is to unplug/plug in the USB. I need a case that works flawlessly.

I suspect this is why most Mac techies always suggest purchasing a fully integrated SSD/case, instead of separately.

Mac mini (M1 2020, 16G 2T) Big Sur 11.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Suggestions for a better SSD enclosure? Mine keeps disconnecting.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: August 16, 2019 08:52AM
Literally anything from our sponsor, including the toaster-style Voyager line.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
TETO (To Each Their Own)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: clay
Date: August 16, 2019 09:22AM
USB A or USB C?
Date: August 16, 2019 09:27AM
clay
USB A or USB C?

I'm realizing I'm way over my head, and after speaking with MacSales help, there's a lot more factors (ADC, amps) to factor in. Settled: selling my 960GB SSD on the For Sale group and looking to get a new fully integrated new TimeMachine SSD set up.

Mac mini (M1 2020, 16G 2T) Big Sur 11.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 16, 2019 09:43AM
Sabrent is not (usually) awful. I wouldn't put the enclosure at the top of my list of suspects.

USB drives generally drop off the bus when there are power or driver issues so I suggest looking to see what else you have hooked up via USB and Thunderbolt to see what might be pulling too much power or might have a driver-conflict.

If the drive is connected to that 2013 Mac Pro, beware that the USB bus is flaky and has poor power-delivery. The 2013 is a lousy design. Any other device on USB or on the Thunderbolt bus might easily be drawing enough power to kick your drive off the bus. I usually spec a good Anker powered USB hub (one of the brick-shaped white or black ones with one or more high-power ports for power-hungry devices) for 2013 Mac Pros.

Old iMacs notoriously drop USB connections when deep-sleeping and can lose connections to SSDs if they're set to spin down hard drives on idle, but the issue isn't limited to iMacs. You might fix the problem by tweaking Energy Saver settings.

Also... why are you using a good SSD for a simple Time Machine backup?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2019 09:44AM by Sarcany.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 16, 2019 09:44AM
Tuqqer,

Gonna have to disagree with Zoidberg. I hate to do it but I have no choice. I will no longer buy enclosures from OWC. Nearly every enclosure I've bought from them suffers from disconnects when used with USB. It was so bad, I invested in an app called Mountain to help keep the issues under control. I replaced the enclosures with models form different brands and the problem has vanished. I don't even use Mountain anymore.

That said, enclosures and cables do go bad. It does happen. Have you tried changing the cable? I'd try a different cable before replacing the enclosure. Then again, good USB enclosures aren't that expensive. I wouldn't sell the SSD before trying a different cable or enclosure. I'd consider a USB-C model that supports UASP. That way, it's future proof for your next machine.

Also, is the drive connected directly to the computer or is it connected to a USB 3 hub? If connected to a hub, make sure it's a powered hub that provides enough juice to the drive. That and try connecting the drive directly to the computer.

Robert
Date: August 16, 2019 09:46AM
Sarcany
Also... why are you using a good SSD for a simple Time Machine backup?

Thanks, Sarcany. Very helpful info.

The main reason I switched TimeMachine to SSD was the noise: I could hear the HDs spin up each time it backed up and that drove me crazy.

Interesting notes on what you're saying about the 2013 Mac Pro. Didn't know that, and it makes sense.

I'm going to try out a full integrated SSD, short USB cable just plugged straight into one of the USB ports. See if that works.

Robert: just saw your post. I'm going to try exactly that. Sometimes the best troubleshooting thing I can do is sell what I have and start fresh. Sometimes I just can't afford to tinker with it all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2019 10:11AM by tuqqer.
Posted by: FormerlySaleenl
Date: August 16, 2019 10:31AM
We test a lot of drives and have been impressed with the reliability and customer service of the Oyen Digital drives.

We use these drives daily and they have been rock solid: Oyen Shadow Mini External USB-C (USB 3.1) Portable SSD and Oyen Digital MiniPro Dura USB-C (USB 3.1) Rugged. You can buy direct from Oyen or through Amazon.

We maintain a list of drive recommendations based on our testing. Full disclosure, the page does contain affiliate links. [bombich.com]

Sadly, we've had to take two OWC drives out of commission. One enclosure was replaced under warranty and failed a second time. Like you, Tuqqer, sometimes it's just easier to replace when troubleshooting has failed.

Sarah
Posted by: jonny
Date: August 16, 2019 10:45AM
Robert M
Tuqqer,

Gonna have to disagree with Zoidberg. I hate to do it but I have no choice. I will no longer buy enclosures from OWC. Nearly every enclosure I've bought from them suffers from disconnects when used with USB. It was so bad, I invested in an app called Mountain to help keep the issues under control. I replaced the enclosures with models form different brands and the problem has vanished. I don't even use Mountain anymore.

That said, enclosures and cables do go bad. It does happen. Have you tried changing the cable? I'd try a different cable before replacing the enclosure. Then again, good USB enclosures aren't that expensive. I wouldn't sell the SSD before trying a different cable or enclosure. I'd consider a USB-C model that supports UASP. That way, it's future proof for your next machine.

Also, is the drive connected directly to the computer or is it connected to a USB 3 hub? If connected to a hub, make sure it's a powered hub that provides enough juice to the drive. That and try connecting the drive directly to the computer.

Robert
What enclosures do you prefer, if I can ask?
Posted by: jdc
Date: August 16, 2019 10:57AM
I find it a little off that the original HDD made so much noise?

My main drive has a fan (dual drive RAID 0) and you can hear it sure... but the 5TB single 3.5" drive below it is near silent. And the little 2 TB portable drive I have is so quiet I would have to put it next to my ear to hear it, even while copying.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: August 16, 2019 10:59AM
I will say that I've had two three NewerTech enclosures -- a Guardian Maximus & a Mercury Elite Pro (which itself has an Elite Pro Dual mini attached to it via its extra USB port) -- attached to my Mac setup for years and have never experienced any dropouts or data issues. (FWIW, the last time I recall having an issue was with a Voyager FW400 (? maybe 800) model around a decade back, and that turned out to be due to the FW cable.)

Will echo what Robert M said about the direct connection/hub connection. Some hubs are *really* dicey/questionable, even when powered.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
TETO (To Each Their Own)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Date: August 16, 2019 10:59AM
jdc
...And the little 2 TB portable drive I have is so quiet I would have to put it next to my ear to hear it, even while copying.

I've wondered about the noise level on those tiny portable spinning HDs, so that's good to know. I just made a gut call to go with the SSDs.

Posted by: jdc
Date: August 16, 2019 11:11AM
tuqqer
I've wondered about the noise level on those tiny portable spinning HDs, so that's good to know. I just made a gut call to go with the SSDs.

They are usually 5400 RPM spinners -- still more than fast enough for any TM duty.

2 TB WD is $60 at BestBuy -- you could always give a try and if it was too loud, return it.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: August 16, 2019 11:44AM
Bookmarked. Thanks Sarah for the recommendation!
Since I’m already posting, I’ll say that I concur with jdc, small bus powered slim drive is enough for time machine.
If you have a powered USB hub available, plug your ssd there.
Anyway, good luck!

• back to confinement

Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: August 16, 2019 11:57AM
If USB powered, try a cable that has an auxiliary USB plug to increase the current supply. This has worked for me.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 16, 2019 01:15PM
Jonny,

I've had no problems with enclosures from Sans Digital, CalDigit, Sabrent, Inateck and, to give credit where credit is due, a Newer Tech Voyager S3 USB 3.0 Drive dock. However, I only use the Voyager on an as necessary basis, i.e. make or update a clone. All of the other enclosures are used with drives and hang off a machine regularly. I've also had good luck with Seagate Backup Plus desktop drives. I can offer some specific models:

For NVME drives:

[www.amazon.com]

For 2.5" SSDs:

[www.amazon.com]

For either 3.5" or 2.5" drives:

[www.amazon.com]

For either 3.5" or 2.5" drives:

[www.amazon.com]

Note, some of these are older models. If I were to buy a box today, I'd be more inclined to find one that supports USB 3.1 and use it with an adapter for models that are still USB 3 only.

I tried an Oyen Digital Mini Pro enclosure USB 3/Firewire model. Garbage. Unreliable. Worked with tech support and they still couldn't get it to be reliable. 'course, several companies sell the same enclosure under their own name. StarTech comes to mind. Had problems with the USB only version of model sold by StarTech, too. Definitely wouldn't go near any flavor of Mini Pro box from any of the companies repackaging and selling them.

Robert
Posted by: jonny
Date: August 16, 2019 02:23PM
Thanks, Robert. Noted!

(here's the Inateck version in USB C : [www.amazon.com] )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2019 02:27PM by jonny.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 16, 2019 03:39PM
jdc

2 TB WD is $60 at BestBuy -- you could always give a try and if it was too loud, return it.

I have one a Seagate version of this. I don't hear it. It has been quite dependable.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is walking, standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 96
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020