advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
External Samsung monitor flashes on and then black
Posted by: Microman
Date: August 27, 2019 02:05PM
I have been using this Samsung S27D36OH monitor for a couple of years now. Starting yesterday, there would be a black screen. Upon trying new HDMI cable, and moving the power cable to another duplex plug, it will show the desktop for. a second and then go black. And the MacBook, has no use of mouse , as it must be on the larger monitor darkened screen,.

Searched for 15 minutes, but still having found any fix related to coming on, and then going black. Capacitor?, Using this MacBook to HDMI converter, but seems to be the monitor.

Cant get into any of the monitor functions, menu etc...Just on and off work

Any thoughts?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: External Samsung monitor flashes on and then black
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 27, 2019 10:29PM
probably a bad contact/capacitor, but this is pure speculation, I have nothing except I keep reading about issues with Samsung devices, usually bad capacitors.

have you tried disconnecting all cables (except power) and see if you can get into menus, etc?
Posted by: Catzilla
Date: August 28, 2019 06:37AM
Have you tried another native HDMI device to rule out the converter?
Posted by: Microman
Date: August 28, 2019 09:00AM
Just tried that this morning with TIVO input that works, and get the same flash of screen then black. Blue power button works on and off, but when it comes on, get a second of the screen and then black

No adapter, straight HDMI

Hooked MacBook up using the adapter to the Vizio TV that is mounted just above my computer desk, and it works fine. So adapter ok. How do I adjust the resolution, currently in search of getting more on the TV screen

Went to scaled and have a choice of 1080i, which looks a little fuzzy or 1360 x 768 or 720p.

I guess I choice the one that works, and looks the best, if I use this TV as a monitor for a while

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2019 09:17AM by Microman.
Posted by: Carm
Date: September 07, 2019 11:45AM
Second bad capacitor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2019 11:47AM by Carm.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 83
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020