advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
No More Free 'Toiletries': Marriott joins IHG in the ban
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: August 29, 2019 07:21PM
No more free little bottles of shampoo, conditioner, & bath gels @ Marriott properties beginning in 2020.
Forbes
The days of individualized shampoo bottles in hotels look to be coming to an end.

Marriott is the latest chain to announce it will do away with small bottles of shampoo, bath gel and conditioner at its over 7,000 hotels worldwide.
That follows similar announcements by IHG (owner of Holiday Inn) and Walt Disney resorts. The changes will be implemented by 2020.

Instead, the hotel chain says, guests can expect either larger bottles or wall-mounted dispensers.
That’s more convenient and ecologically friendly (Marriott says the move will reduce its annual plastic usage by 30%),
but it also takes away from the personalization of a hotel stay and could dampen
the feeling of luxury travelers to high-end hotels seek.

It’s the expansion of a test that began in 2018 at Marriott. The chain says 20% of its properties already use larger pump-topped bottles in their showers.
(The changes will also be part of the 1,700 hotels Marriott plans to open over the next three years.)

“Our guests are looking to us to make changes that will create a meaningful difference for the environment while not sacrificing
the quality service and experience they expect from our hotels,”
said Arne Sorenson, President and Chief Executive Officer of Marriott International in a statement.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: No More Free 'Toiletries': Marriott joins IHG in the ban
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: August 29, 2019 07:24PM
emoticon_love

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: PeterW
Date: August 29, 2019 07:41PM
So BYOB and fill em up.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 29, 2019 08:08PM
MrNoBody

“Our guestsests are looking to us to make changes that will create a meaningful difference for the environment while not sacrificing the quality service and experience they expect from our hotels,” said Arne Sorenson, President and Chief Executive Officer of Marriott International in a statement..."

Also, we save millions this way.

Next up: We will only change towels and bedding by special request. It saves water! (And even more money! And we have no need to pass on the savings in the form of competitive room-rates!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2019 08:10PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: raz
Date: August 29, 2019 08:46PM
I'm all for getting rid of those tiny plastic bottles. Even if it were possible to recycle them, they don't.

I've been in a few hotels with wall mounted dispensers. No problem.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: August 29, 2019 09:00PM
raz

I've seen them filled with mold.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 29, 2019 09:04PM
IMO this is long long LONG overdue.

Posted by: qdog2
Date: August 29, 2019 09:13PM
Sarcany
MrNoBody

Next up: We will only change towels and bedding by special request. It saves water! (And even more money! And we have no need to pass on the savings in the form of competitive room-rates!)

I have been in hotels that do this already.

Portsmouth, Va
Posted by: Racer X
Date: August 29, 2019 09:29PM
PeterW
So BYOB and fill em up.

my thoughts exactly. no liquid limits in checked luggage. just double bag to be safe.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: August 29, 2019 09:36PM
mattkime
IMO this is long long LONG overdue.

Agreed.

It is what it is.
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 29, 2019 10:30PM
we are now staying at a 4 star hotel in san Francisco, I don't think it is part of a hotel chain but I could be wrong. The first few days they had some cardboard pouches that you tear open, I am not sure how long they take to decompose in the landfill. The last 2 days they gave us those small plastic bottles. The liquids are the same, same, brand same design, same fragrance, just different packaging. I am not sure which is more environmentally friendly.

Also if they could make a plastic that will only last 3-4 years before it starts decaying, that would make these more ecological than normal plastic that lasts many years.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: August 29, 2019 11:03PM
I think this is good. But the towels thing bugs me a bit. I pay for the room - often overpay, because American hotels are laughably overpriced - and expect at least clean towels.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 30, 2019 12:16AM
Sarcany

Next up: We will only change towels and bedding by special request.

It has been this way in Germany since at least the mid 90's.

If you want a new towel, toss the old one on the floor and it will get replaced.

I have no problem with this. Do you use a new towel at home every day?
Posted by: MikeF
Date: August 30, 2019 12:21AM
Wait for the lawsuit that will come when someone claims that the large pump bottle or wall dispenser was contaminated with something.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 30, 2019 01:05AM
MikeF
Wait for the lawsuit that will come when someone claims that the large pump bottle or wall dispenser was contaminated with something.

I have stayed at mid and high level hotels where this has been a practice for over a decade. Don't recall hearing of any lawsuits in this vein. Their dispensers were set up to be opened by the persons maintaining the rooms, not easily opened by others.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: August 30, 2019 02:22AM
JoeH
MikeF

I have stayed at mid and high level hotels where this has been a practice for over a decade. Don't recall hearing of any lawsuits in this vein. Their dispensers were set up to be opened by the persons maintaining the rooms, not easily opened by others.

Opening stuff is easy, opening stuff undetected is a test of skill, patience, and problem-solving ability. I try to be a good person and abide by the rules. Please do not set this undeniable nefarious challenge before me.

Back to the topic at hand, my knee-jerk reaction is to be outraged because I always bring home a bunch of the lotion and shampoo bottles as usable souvenirs, but realistically they're usually dubious brands at the "budget-friendly" places where I stay and I never use the stuff they provide while I'm there so ultimately it's a non-issue.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 30, 2019 03:26AM
If you want a new towel, toss the old one on the floor and it will get replaced.

I stayed at a Mariott that did this.

My only quibble was leaving it on the rack, it got folded and was still a little damp when I used it again. So I alternated towels. Not a deal, big or otherwise.

Do you use a new towel at home every day?

Anybody who does, doesn't do the laundry.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Michael
Date: August 30, 2019 05:29AM
We've had the wall mounted things a couple of times. This last weekend at a Drury Inn. It was ok and we didn't see anything nefarious in the bottles on the wall.

More important to me was that Drury Inn provided a (very modest) dinner for free, and (some sort of) wine, beer and (very limited) cocktails for $.75 each in Paducah, KY. Who woulda' thunk?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: August 30, 2019 08:30AM
I like the bars of soap over the soft soap dispensers. Just personal preference. I have never used anything in a hotel room that has come in a plastic bottle.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 30, 2019 08:33AM
....not even booze.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Acer
Date: August 30, 2019 09:10AM
There's a shocking amount of single-use waste, of packaging and product, in travel in general. Even finding a bin for routine recyclables like cans or plastics-1&2 is challenging on the road.
Posted by: dk62
Date: August 30, 2019 11:35AM
Interesting that on this forum this gets much more love than Prius. At any rate, I personally hate communal wall dispensers, actively avoid hotels that have them, but now this will put me in a bind (being Platinum with IHG and lifetime titanium at Marriott). I do not mind buying my toiletries separately in a nearby store, but that will create enormous amounts of waste (full size bottle of shampoo for 2-3 days, throw the rest out???). I am pretty sure that water and soda bottles are much more of an environment problem than small shampoo bottles, not to mention the sorry state of recycling in general that is getting progressively worse. Or gas and oil subsidies.

I have no issues with reusing towels and bedding, or even skipping housekeeping altogether on several consecutive days.
Date: August 30, 2019 02:10PM
The water and soda bottles are at least relatively easily separated out and recycled. But those little shampoo, conditioner and body lotion bottles are neither. For most recycling methods they are just too small and either bounce out of the machines or tend to jam them up. Essentially 100% of these small bottles end up as trash.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 30, 2019 02:17PM
dk62
do not mind buying my toiletries separately in a nearby store, but that will create enormous amounts of waste (full size bottle of shampoo for 2-3 days, throw the rest out???). I am pretty sure that water and soda bottles are much more of an environment problem than small shampoo bottles, not to mention the sorry state of recycling in general that is getting progressively worse. Or gas and oil subsidies.

so buy the full size bottles at home along with travel size containers at home and fill them before your trip. rinse and repeat. i've been doing this for years.

btw, though walmart is a quick, cheap source for travel containers my favorite ones are from REI.

If you want to fix our country, work with us in the states. statesproject.org

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2019 02:22PM by graylocks.
Posted by: rz
Date: August 30, 2019 03:21PM
Sarcany
raz

I've seen them filled with mold.

Where do you stay? I've only been to a few hotels that had these and none were filled with mold.

One thing nobody has mentioned is that some hotels will take the used, but not empty toiletries and donate them to the local homeless population. I guess this will stop now.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: August 30, 2019 03:29PM
I hope that the wall mounted dispensers will be similar to the soap dispensers in that they used disposable, sealed bags to reduce the risk of tampering. Otherwise, we'll get knuckleheads doing disgusting/disturbing things to the shampoo and soap.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: August 30, 2019 04:32PM
NewtonMP2100

Total hypocrisy. Newt is on the right track. Toiletries simply aren't the profit center that mini-bar items are. They only pretend to give a @#$%& about the environment. There are plenty of eco-friendly packaging options available for toiletries; way more so than for human consumable items from the mini-bar. Hotels already have e-commerce equipped min-bars to keep track of the "expensive" stuff. Just put a recycle bin in each room, and each hotel can have a heavy duty shredder to crunch up all the little toiletry and booze bottles.
I call B$ on this one.
Total B$.
==
Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 30, 2019 04:44PM
Buzz
NewtonMP2100

Total hypocrisy. Newt is on the right track. Toiletries simply aren't the profit center that mini-bar items are. They only pretend to give a @#$%& about the environment. There are plenty of eco-friendly packaging options available for toiletries; way more so than for human consumable items from the mini-bar. Hotels already have e-commerce equipped min-bars to keep track of the "expensive" stuff. Just put a recycle bin in each room, and each hotel can have a heavy duty shredder to crunch up all the little toiletry and booze bottles.
I call B$ on this one.
Total B$.
==

what are these mini-bars of which you speak? you folks must only frequent the high end properties of these chains. lower down the food chain of their holdings where i stay there are no mini-bars. i assume the toiletries are being pulled also.

If you want to fix our country, work with us in the states. statesproject.org

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: August 30, 2019 05:29PM
Buzz
NewtonMP2100

I call B$ on this one.
Total B$.
==

First, identify the type of "heavy duty shredder" that they could get to handle those little bottles.

Second, to be recyclable those little bottles would first have to be emptied and at least rinsed out before shredding. That would require additional staff time to do that.

Basically from what I have been reading, the first does not exist yet as a product these hotel chains could buy and install. Second, without cleaning out first, all that shredder would create would be a more compact form of trash that would have the disadvantage of it consisting of many small fragments easily lost into the environment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2019 05:30PM by JoeH.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: August 30, 2019 06:28PM
graylocks
dk62
do not mind buying my toiletries separately in a nearby store, but that will create enormous amounts of waste (full size bottle of shampoo for 2-3 days, throw the rest out???). I am pretty sure that water and soda bottles are much more of an environment problem than small shampoo bottles, not to mention the sorry state of recycling in general that is getting progressively worse. Or gas and oil subsidies.

So buy the full size bottles at home along with travel size containers at home and fill them before your trip. Rinse and repeat. I've been doing this for years.

That's what I do because without the liberal use of industrial-strength Paul Mitchell products, my hair becomes a sad, floppy afro... and try as I might, I just don't look good with a sad, floppy afro.

macphanatic
I hope that the wall mounted dispensers will be similar to the soap dispensers in that they used disposable, sealed bags to reduce the risk of tampering. Otherwise, we'll get knuckleheads doing disgusting/disturbing things to the shampoo and soap.

I'd imagine so, if for no other reason than the bags are so much easier to deal with. Also companies like Zep will or do already offer 1, 2, or 3 bag dispensers suitable for wall mounting... sign the contract to let them supply soap/shampoo/conditioner/lotion, get the dispensers for free... and of course only genuine Zep bags will work in the dispensers.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Date: August 30, 2019 08:23PM
First, identify the type of "heavy duty shredder" that they could get to handle those little bottles.

Google plastic shredder/granulator. Plenty available and affordable.

Second, to be recyclable those little bottles would first have to be emptied and at least rinsed out before shredding. That would require additional staff time to do that.

Nope, not an issue. Granulated plastic can, and would be washed at recycler's facility.

Basically from what I have been reading, the first does not exist yet as a product these hotel chains could buy and install.

Again, clearly the first exists. There are plenty of smaller/cheaper units to fit the size of the hotel being serviced.

Second, without cleaning out first, all that shredder would create would be a more compact form of trash that would have the disadvantage of it consisting of many small fragments easily lost into the environment.

It just preps it for easy melting into the next plastic doohickeys. The granules can easily be bagged and compacted for transport to the next facility.... not any different than the garbage trucks currently servicing the hotel, excepts that the results have the possibility to be more environmentally friendly.

You're trying to create problems for solutions that already exist.
Why?
==
Date: August 30, 2019 08:35PM
graylocks
Buzz
NewtonMP2100

I call B$ on this one.
Total B$.
==

what are these mini-bars of which you speak? you folks must only frequent the high end properties of these chains. lower down the food chain of their holdings where i stay there are no mini-bars. i assume the toiletries are being pulled also.

One of the perks of Mrs. Buzz's 40+ year career as a flight attendant, is deep discounts at many hotel locations. For several years now, many hotels' mini-bars have been hooked up to their POS and.or other inventory system(s). Big Brother is definitely watching. It's worth it for them to keep an iron eagle eye on the $10 mini bottles of booze, but not for the free shampoo and conditioner.

All I'm saying is, that plastic is plastic, and if they're gonna slap dispensers on the wall for free shampoo, they oughta slap dispensers on the wall for expensive (much more highly profitable) booze. Obviously the booze thing isn't gonna fly, so I call B$ on the shampoo and conditioner...

Don't market it as doing something for the environment when it's really just a financial ploy/coup for the hotel?!?!
==
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: August 31, 2019 07:16AM
macphanatic
I hope that the wall mounted dispensers will be similar to the soap dispensers in that they used disposable, sealed bags to reduce the risk of tampering...

And the empty "sealed bags' are another plastic container to be disposed of.
inopak Ltd. makes sealed bag toiletries & dispensers but they also offer their products in 55-gallons drums for refilling non-proprietary dispensers.
Large operators like Marriott & IHG have been using drum packed janitorial &
kitchen chemicals in portion control dispensers for decades.
(the drums get returned for reuse too)

Proprietary, sealed bag dispensers are worse than inkjet printer carts.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2019 07:17AM by MrNoBody.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 31, 2019 10:02AM
Buzz
Total hypocrisy. Newt is on the right track. Toiletries simply aren't the profit center that mini-bar items are. They only pretend to give a @#$%& about the environment.

I don't disagree with you but there's still an environmentally positive result.
Posted by: fauch
Date: September 01, 2019 05:51AM
I hope these large bottles/dispensers are SEALED. I would not risk some sicko peeing or doing G-d knows what to the shampoo bottle that now many other customers are going to use...
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 01, 2019 07:14AM
....they are locked in place.....only hotel staff can take them out....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 124
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020