advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
LCD TVs for computer monitor use?
Posted by: jimbrady
Date: January 29, 2007 06:24PM
I'm trying to figure a way for my father in law to have a larger display that he'll use at the native resolution. He currently runs a 17" LCD at a mind-bending 800x600 resolution... says even 1024x768 makes the stuff he's viewing too small.

Anything out there that's intended as a TV, but works nicely as a display? 1280x 768? 26 inches? Suggestions?

He shouldn't have dumped CRT tech, but now he won't go back.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: LCD TVs for computer monitor use?
Posted by: ADent
Date: January 29, 2007 06:30PM
Several monitors will work as a digital display.

For example the 37" and 42" 1080P Westinghouse work fine with one of their DVI inputs.

I am sure there are other smaller monitors.
Date: January 29, 2007 06:31PM
ADent
Several monitors will work as a digital display.

For example the 37" and 42" 1080P Westinghouse work fine with one of their DVI inputs.

I am sure there are other smaller monitors.

Yeah, need a desktop-able size, and wondering whether the sharpness is adequate from 2 feet away.

Posted by: DP
Date: January 29, 2007 09:27PM
OK, on this subject, I have a dumb question although this thought had never occured to me. I have an uncle who swears his digital images look better on his TV ( a 27" CRT) than they do on his monitor (19" CRT). I have always assumed (that's the first problem!) that a TV and a monitor were the same device. Without getting into a lot of detail, is a TV in fact different from a computer monitor?
Date: January 29, 2007 10:13PM
Yes, they have different abilities, and I'll assume(!) you haven't looked at your uncle's set-up if you'll accept his notion... a standard TV has 640x480 resolution. Crapola. I need an LCD TV (I think) to solve this problem.

Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: January 29, 2007 10:17PM
A couple of weeks ago I moved the 23" Ölevia HDTV to my computer desk & connected it to the Mac mini & immediately realized it was WAY too big.

Date: January 29, 2007 10:27PM
DaviDC.
A couple of weeks ago I moved the 23" Ölevia HDTV to my computer desk & connected it to the Mac mini & immediately realized it was WAY too big.

So's everything onscreen w/a 17" LCD set to 800x600.

Posted by: DaviDC.
Date: January 29, 2007 11:20PM
I tried out all of the resolutions & it was too much LCD too close to my face.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 29, 2007 11:31PM
Many LCD TV's are much brighter than a typical LCD monitor simply because the intended viewing distance is so much different. A TV is usually meant to be several feet away and needs to be bright enough to project from that distance. An computer monitor is usually very close to your face and if it were the same brightness as the TV it would be difficult to look at.
Date: January 30, 2007 12:07AM
DaviDC.
I tried out all of the resolutions & it was too much LCD too close to my face.

Which explains why the 30" monitors Apple sells are all sitting in the warehouse... and OH! what's this 24" monitor on my desk here?!? Certainly this is untenable!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 143
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020