advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
The Princess Bride reboot hasn't gone down well – particularly with Jamie Lee Curtis
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 19, 2019 12:43PM
The Princess Bride reboot hasn't gone down well – particularly with Jamie Lee Curtis

Jamie Lee Curtis has shared her strong views on a potential The Princess Bride remake. Because some classics just need to be left alone, right?

No film released before 2017 is safe from getting a remake.

OK, that’s a slight exaggeration, but it does feel like every other “new” film release is a modern update of a classic that nobody asked for.

This year alone, Disney produced the live action versions of Aladdin and The Lion King. And the internet was horrified when it was announced that Home Alone was getting a remake. Let’s not even get started on the news about revisiting Night at the Museum, which originally only came out in 2006.

More at [www.stylist.co.uk]

This is a quick read and it reassures me that the 'Hollywood embraces...' card that is played ad nauseam isn't Hollywood in toto as some would have us believe.

And while I find the use of the expression '...has class' to be sooo déclassé, I will say Cary Elwes is a class act.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The Princess Bride reboot hasn't gone down well – particularly with Jamie Lee Curtis
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 19, 2019 12:54PM
INCONCEIVABLE !
Re: The Princess Bride reboot hasn't gone down well – particularly with Jamie Lee Curtis
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 19, 2019 01:14PM
I don't think that word means what you think it means.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 19, 2019 01:14PM
Maybe in another 30 years when most of the actors are gone. Or when a generation that ere raised on it are too old to care any longer.
Posted by: hal
Date: September 19, 2019 01:20PM
Why is Jamie Lee Curtis' opinion significant?
Date: September 19, 2019 01:28PM

Because she's just as important as you are.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 19, 2019 01:32PM
They can never replace André.
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 19, 2019 01:32PM
hal

She's mawwied to Christopher Guest.
Posted by: raz
Date: September 19, 2019 01:44PM
mikebw

It'll be a CGI giant

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Date: September 19, 2019 01:47PM
raz
mikebw

It'll be a CGI giant

Shoot me now.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 19, 2019 02:06PM
mikebw

That's a regular sized coffee mug in his hands.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 19, 2019 02:08PM
As......

You......

Wish........
Date: September 19, 2019 02:48PM
ztirffritz
mikebw

That's a regular sized coffee mug in his hands.

OK, still 7" shorter than André, but close.

I wonder how it would turn out if they used all Marvel characters. The Hulk would be the giant of course.
Posted by: hal
Date: September 19, 2019 02:56PM
this andre holding a standard 12oz beer can

verified by snopes
Posted by: timg
Date: September 19, 2019 03:58PM
They may be able to find someone of a similar size, but how likely is it that the person will have the comedic ability/timing of Andre?

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 19, 2019 04:35PM
timg
They may be able to find someone of a similar size, but how likely is it that the person will have the comedic ability/timing of Andre?

True, he was a trained actor with years of experience acting in the rassling ring.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 19, 2019 05:06PM
Acer
hal

Lol

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 19, 2019 05:28PM
For decades -- DECADES -- after it was published, Hollywood universally considered it an impossible task to translate The Princess Bride to the big screen. Eventually, though, lightning struck and Rob Reiner & Co. got the job done -- and, in doing so, just happened to create one of the few perfect movies ever made.

Trying to remake this movie is a HORRIBLE idea.

It is what it is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2019 05:29PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: September 19, 2019 05:48PM
N-OS X-tasy!
For decades -- DECADES -- after it was published, Hollywood universally considered it an impossible task to translate The Princess Bride to the big screen. Eventually, though, lightning struck and Rob Reiner & Co. got the job done -- and, in doing so, just happened to create one of the few perfect movies ever made.

If we allow them to get away with this, they'll remake Blazing Saddles... and only Mel Brooks and Richard Pryor could make that movie the FIRST time and not have it a complete $#!^ show.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: kledo
Date: September 19, 2019 06:25PM
Is it SO hard to have an original piece of literature made into a movie? Geez, how many great novels (many no longer under copyright protection) are there that have never hit the big screen?

Not enough artists and too many accountants in Hollywood nowadays.

Personal rant over….want to buy a copy of the Mona Lisa?

--Kledo
Posted by: davester
Date: September 19, 2019 06:48PM
Paul F.
If we allow them to get away with this, they'll remake Blazing Saddles...

...and they'd remove all the racial jokes (which would be most of them).

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: September 19, 2019 07:13PM

All of this ^

Cary Elwes' book takes great pains to explain exactly how difficult this was to accomplish, even after Reiner took up the mantle.

He was very effusive of Andrés' gentle personality, sense of humor, and humility. I don't know that there's anybody alive at this moment, who could bring all that to the screen, particularly in a giant size. Maybe in a parallel universe?

That was also mentioned in the link. (And well done, Acer!)

Not enough artists and too many accountants in Hollywood nowadays.

True.

Also not enough visionaries, on both sides of the Big Desk.

The Princess Bride wasn't much of a success until VHS came along, as Elwes details in his book. Even though it got made, and everybody at the 'ground level', directly concerned with making the movie were crazy about the results, it got zero marketing and even the poster was confusing.

Again:

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: vision63
Date: September 19, 2019 09:41PM
Paul F.
N-OS X-tasy!

If we allow them to get away with this, they'll remake Blazing Saddles... and only Mel Brooks and Richard Pryor could make that movie the FIRST time and not have it a complete $#!^ show.

Don't even speak that out loud!!! Now throw out your hands and stick out your tush 10 times!
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 20, 2019 10:21AM
Paul F.
N-OS X-tasy!

They can't remake Blazing Saddles in this PC environment. There would be the opening and credits. The rest would be something else and not funny at all.
Posted by: raz
Date: September 20, 2019 12:10PM
macphanatic
Paul F.
N-OS X-tasy!

They can't remake Blazing Saddles in this PC environment. There would be the opening and credits. The rest would be something else and not funny at all.

try watch the version they show on A&E among others. They even censor Madeleine Kahn's character name and some of the song lyrics.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: September 20, 2019 01:37PM
raz
macphanatic
Paul F.
N-OS X-tasy!

try watch the version they show on A&E among others. They even censor Madeleine Kahn's character name and some of the song lyrics.

I avoid watching any Mel Brooks movies on general cable channels as they loose too much. Same goes for Blues Brothers, Animal House, Caddyshack, Airplane and many others.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: September 20, 2019 02:07PM
AMC seems to be the worst with butchering films. That station is totally unwatchable at present. They can show someones head getting blown off with gallons of blood, but show one boob or a mild curse word? Hells no!

It's really too bad, as they were great back in the not too distant past. Uncut, commercial free films were the standard for them.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: September 24, 2019 08:57AM
> I avoid watching any Mel Brooks movies on general cable channels as they loose too much. Same goes for Blues Brothers, Animal House, Caddyshack, Airplane and many others.

I dunno, man; there is a certain art in "modified for broadcast"; e.g., Rodney's "Hey everybody - we're all gonna take a shower!" at the end of the broadcast Caddyshack.

And the entire scene with Jake, Elwood, and the penguin (nun) in Blues Brothers in the broadcast version is surreal. I wish I could find it recorded somewhere. "YOU FAT PENGUIN!"

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 142
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020