advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How big is BIG, and how SMALL is small these days ? ? ? HDD/SSD size that is.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: October 07, 2019 07:19PM
What do we consider small, medium, large, and extra-large for HDD's and SSD's in fall 2019?

Is there a minimum size for each that you wouldn't want to be seen using in public?
What is your "shame size"?

Do you have a "comfort size", such that you stick with that, and back up, and/or supplement with similar sized drives?
Rather than going bigger, because that's just too much data for one place?

Random state of the tech survey.
==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How big is BIG, and how SMALL is small these days ? ? ? HDD/SSD size that is.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 07, 2019 07:30PM
SSDs:
Small = 128GB
Big = 1+ TB

HDDs:
Small = 1-2TB
Big= 2+ TB

Minimum size depends on your use case. I run 128GB drives in our staff machines. Installing all the apps we have(including OS and Creative Cloud) uses up around 70GB. That is half full. They all have unlimited Google Drive and that is where we instruct them to save their files. Would it be nice to have 256GB? Sure, but that is just more stuff to lose if a SSD fails, plus at an extra $200 it isn't worth it.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Re: How big is BIG, and how SMALL is small these days ? ? ? HDD/SSD size that is.
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: October 07, 2019 07:44PM
I'm not sure about SSD sizes, but anything smaller than a 4 TB HDD would seem too small to me. If I was in the market, I'd be buying at least 8 TB.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 07, 2019 07:47PM
Why are you focused on size?

Posted by: Buzz
Date: October 07, 2019 08:43PM
Why are you focused on size?

Have a few enclosures that are limited to 2TB, and other than super-def video, having a hard time reconciling how much data is too much data to entrust to a single device. Couple that w/ using SSD's for peak performance; what's needed to garner best user experience, along w/ access to all/enough stuff that's needed to work with.
==
Posted by: datbeme
Date: October 07, 2019 08:49PM
I think it's a balance of what works best not just from a usage standpoint but also from a backup standpoint. A lot of data in one place makes less sense when you have to have several copies of it. Assuming you'll need to have a replacement cycle for working drives and backup drives, you need to look for a sweet spot that large enough for your needs while still being relatively affordable, maintainable, and reproduceable.

This will vary among users, but for me that sweet spot is a 500GB SSD for the internal OS drive, clones and additional OS versions. It doesn't require much sacrifice if you offload and archive docs to an external drive on occasion, and it gives you a relatively lean boot disk that's easy to manage. Not as lean as the 128GB that C(-)ris mentioned, but a bit more doable for a home user.

I do have a larger RAID for video, but for most external storage I find 4TB to be the sweet spot. Would I rather have 8? Sure, but multiple 8TB drives for backups start to add up, and they aren't available in the convenient, portable size that don't require a wall wart.
Posted by: rz
Date: October 08, 2019 08:32AM
My boot drive is 512GB (SSD), and it's getting full. I have 5 other internal drives (8TB, three 3TB drives, and a 2TB). Not all are full though. My video library takes up the most space, obviously. I am a bit of a hoarder, so I should probably go through everything and delete stuff I'm never going to use.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 422
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020