advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
bring in 'da noise, bring in 'defunct'?!.....older Vizio TVs will lose support for Netflix on Dec. 1st.......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 26, 2019 09:36AM
.....no real list but they say your TV will get prompt....

.........This week Netflix started to notify older Vizio TV owners that their Vizio Smart TV will lose access to Netflix beginning December 1st, 2019. Netflix has not posted a full list of which Vizio Smart TVs are losing support on December 1st, but it seems to be Vizio Smart TVs that are four years old or older.

How can you tell if you are on an older Vizio TV that will lose access to Netflix? If your Vizio Smart TV is losing Netflix at the start of December 1st, 2019, you should see a popup warning when you launch Netflix on your Vizio Smart TV.

According to Netflix, this change is caused by “technical limitations.” No word on if this will include Vizio Blu-ray Players as Netflix’s website still lists Vizio TVs and Blu-ray players on their website without listing what models are supported.

This news comes as Netflix has also announced older Roku players will be losing support for Netflix on December 1st, 2019. According to Roku, this only affects the 1st two generations of Roku Players made in 2011 and earlier.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2019 09:41AM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: defunct?!.....older Vizio TVs will lose support for Netflix on Dec. 1st.......
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: October 26, 2019 09:42AM
Great, now people will be dumping TVs because Netflix will no longer support them. What a waste.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Re: bring in 'da noise, bring in 'defunct'?!.....older Vizio TVs will lose support for Netflix on Dec. 1st.......
Posted by: Catzilla
Date: October 26, 2019 09:48AM
A couple of years ago Amazon stopped supporting my Vizio TV and sent me a discount code for a fire TV.
Re: bring in 'da noise, bring in 'defunct'?!.....older Vizio TVs will lose support for Netflix on Dec. 1st.......
Posted by: Carm
Date: October 26, 2019 10:12AM
Catzilla
A couple of years ago Amazon stopped supporting my Vizio TV and sent me a discount code for a fire TV.
Nice!
That’s the problem with “smart TVs”, as I mentioned before with Blu Ray players, if they don’t have support, they get left behind. The Costco warranty - 4 years if purchased with their card is looking better.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 26, 2019 10:36AM
At least they are giving notice before the Black Friday sales.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Forrest
Date: October 26, 2019 11:20AM
I lost Netflix access on my TiVo HD and Insignia Bluray player years ago. Netflix has been moving to newer codecs - leaving older,slower hardware behind.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 26, 2019 04:25PM
And people whine because their five-six year old phone's hardware won't support the newest OSs.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Re: defunct?!.....older Vizio TVs will lose support for Netflix on Dec. 1st.......
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 26, 2019 05:58PM
M A V I C
Great, now people will be dumping TVs because Netflix will no longer support them. What a waste.

what is your point?

Don't buy a Smart TV. or if you buy a "smart" TV, plan to lose the Smart features at some point and use a little box to make it smart again.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 26, 2019 06:13PM
space-time
M A V I C

what is your point?

Don't buy a Smart TV. or if you buy a "smart" TV, plan to lose the Smart features at some point and use a little box to make it smart again.

Yes, this. I never use the apps on my LG OLED TV, as they are all also available on my 4K Apple TV (with DolbyVision!). I don’t give two whits whether LG stops supporting apps.

It is what it is.
Date: October 26, 2019 09:25PM
N-OS X-tasy!
space-time
M A V I C

what is your point?

Yes, this. I never use the apps on my LG OLED TV, as they are all also available on my 4K Apple TV (with DolbyVision!). I don’t give two whits whether LG stops supporting apps.

Yes, you might not use that functionality, and that means the effort and materials that went into it were wasted. And then there's those who feel the need to throw out the current thing and buy a new one simply because of software support policies.

That's my concern - it's a waste. We're seeing this more and more now. Phones that only get software updates for a year, and then have to be thrown out. The software support cycles for many devices are getting shorter and shorter, ending up in their premature demise. Hopefully people recycle them, but many electronics are not. And a fair amount of the ones that do, are still damaging to the environment.

Posted by: space-time
Date: October 27, 2019 07:26AM
so you buy a "smart" TV and for the first 3-4 years you have good support and do NOT need to add an Apple TV or Roku or Fire box to it. That saves you $100 or so. Then after 3-4 years you buy such a box and enjoy streaming for another 6-8 years until that box is now obsolete. I know that I have a Roku from 2009 that will lose support on Dec 1st. So it laster about 10 years, hopefully an Apple TV or Amazon Fire box will also last a log time. maybe not 10 years, but 5-8 I hope. So not having to start the 5-8 or even 10 year clock on the day yo bought the TV, but a few years later is a bonus.

The software is almost the same for all LG TVs as they share many internal components (only the screen is different in size). there is not much effort and it certainly does not create too much waste.
Date: October 27, 2019 12:41PM
*sigh* read what I wrote again. That might be what you do, bit it's not what many do. If you can't see how wasteful it is, then it's not that it's not, it's that you can't see it.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 27, 2019 05:39PM
M A V I C
N-OS X-tasy!
space-time
M A V I C

what is your point?

Yes, you might not use that functionality, and that means the effort and materials that went into it were wasted. And then there's those who feel the need to throw out the current thing and buy a new one simply because of software support policies.

Look, anyone who throws a perfecting working TV away after a year is either wealthy or an idiot (or both). I don't know anyone who has ever done that. I DO know plenty of people who have added third-party devices to their TVs.

I'd be more worried about the amount of food that gets wasted everyday than about smart TV apps.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2019 05:53PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: October 28, 2019 12:07PM
N-OS X-tasy!
M A V I C
N-OS X-tasy!
space-time
M A V I C

what is your point?

Look, anyone who throws a perfecting working TV away after a year is either wealthy or an idiot (or both). I don't know anyone who has ever done that. I DO know plenty of people who have added third-party devices to their TVs.

I'd be more worried about the amount of food that gets wasted everyday than about smart TV apps.

I know someone who worked at a transfer station for many years. Electronics would constantly end up in the trash. The policy for a while was that if it was dumped, it could be pulled by employees and kept as their personal property. So the employees would always ask "what's wrong with it?" If it died, they didn't pull it. But the majority of the time the answer was something along the lines of "Oh, it's not 4k" and, as you guessed it, "I can't get the new version of X app on it". So the employees would pull the device, clean it up, and sell it to make some side cash.

(The company that owned the transfer station later changed that policy - if it lands in the trash, it has to stay there.)

If the person throwing it away is an idiot or not is beside the point. The issue we're seeing with tons of electronics is that they are prematurely EOL'd because software support ends. Even smartphone companies are now selling phones with a defined update duration - eg a phone will only get updates for a year. Then it's trashed. (Sometimes people trade them in, but they're usually worthless at that point.)

At least food will decompose.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020