advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Han(s) across America?!....Disney+ changes the 'Han shot first scene' again.......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 12, 2019 05:51PM
....another change.....

The infamous 'Han shot first' scene in 'Star Wars' has changed yet again on Disney+

.....One of the most controversial scenes in the galaxy far, far away just got inexplicably more complicated.

A key early moment in George Lucas' 1977 original "Star Wars" movie features Han Solo gunning down bad guy Greedo in the Mos Eisley cantina before heading off into space with Luke, Leia and the gang to take on the evil Empire. Who shot first and when has been at the center of a slew of changes over four decades that have irked the hardcore "Star Wars" faithful, and an alteration in a new cut streaming on Disney+ muddies up the affair even more.

"Did Han shoot first?" has been debated for years. In the original cut, lovable rogue Han (Harrison Ford) guns down Greedo, but in a 1997 special edition, Lucas edited the movie to make it seem like Greedo was the one who fired first, making Solo look a little more heroic but irking fans in the process. In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter in 2012, Lucas said he wanted to "clean up the confusion. ... Obviously, it upset people because they wanted Solo to be a coldblooded killer, but he actually isn't."

In 2004, for an updated DVD release of Lucas' first "Star Wars" trilogy, the sequence was changed again to show Greedo firing just a hair before Han.

Much of the scene is the same in the updated Disney+ version, except Greedo says, "Maclunkey" – we're still translating that one – and he and Han shoot simultaneously. (Luckily for the rest of the movies to follow, Han is still a much better shot.)

The scene still reflects the 2004 version on other streaming platforms, including iTunes.

Lucasfilm confirmed to USA TODAY that the new change in the Disney+ version was made by Lucas before Disney's $4 billion acquisition of his company in 2012.

Social media had a field day with the alteration, which generated just as much conversation as the ballyhooed new "Star Wars" TV series "The Mandalorian."

New York Times culture reporter Dave Itzkoff used the kerfuffle to make a timely "OK Boomer" joke.

Writer Richard Littler compared it to changing other classic movies, like Michael Corleone playing a kazoo in "The Godfather II."

And CNN media reporter Frank Pallotta joked that he's looking forward to the next big changes 20 years down the line, "where Han and Greedo hug."

more......revisionists......Star Wars......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2019 06:00PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Hans across America?!....Disney+ changes the 'Hans shot first scene' again.......
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 12, 2019 05:58PM
It's 'HAN'
Re: Han(s) across America?!....Disney+ changes the 'Han shot first scene' again.......
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 12, 2019 07:19PM
might as well change Greedo to the Hamburgler and have him mumble "Warble, warble" Just as authentic as anything else I suppose.
Re: Hans across America?!....Disney+ changes the 'Hans shot first scene' again.......
Posted by: Bernie
Date: November 12, 2019 07:20PM
Steve G.
It's 'HAN'
agree smiley

Staunton, Virginia
Re: Han(s) across America?!....Disney+ changes the 'Han shot first scene' again.......
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 12, 2019 07:57PM
We're snobs in this household, due to my instance on the original. So our copy doesn't look technically as good as the later restored versions and that's OK. It's the old DVD, not really better than the "proper" LaserDisc version except I suppose that it's progressive and not interlaced video ...

From the time I saw it in the theater, my impression was that Han (sorry, HAN) didn't "wait" for Greedo because he figured Greedo would shoot him regardless, since he couldn't pay up. If that "justifies" murder then guess what ... a whole lot more soon followed that Lucas never had a problem with.

Or perhaps we're to think Greedo is really any "better" a person than some random Storm Trooper? Ain't going down any such irrelevant rabbit hole.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 12, 2019 07:59PM
I can assure you, my original release VHS copy of the trilogy says Han shot first.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 12, 2019 08:02PM
....so is this a bad......Han....Job....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2019 08:12PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: blooz
Date: November 12, 2019 08:48PM
I have that VCR or Han shooting first and I'm keeping it as evidence for future generations. (also keeping the vcr so future generations can actually watch it.)

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2019 08:48PM by blooz.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: November 12, 2019 08:53PM
Isn't Han supposed to be a savvy underworld smuggler and survivor? Wouldn't that dictate that he would do whatever it took to stay alive and get paid?

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2019 08:55PM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 13, 2019 02:14AM
Isn't Han supposed to be a savvy underworld smuggler and survivor? Wouldn't that dictate that he would do whatever it took to stay alive and get paid?

Eh...

We know that deep down he's a Good Guy. He may be a smuggler, but he's not a stone killer or murderer. He doesn't do whatever it takes but he does believe in self-defense.

Star Wars: A New Hope was a classic western set in the future.

That scene is based on similar scenes in Westerns where The Good Guy is sitting at at table and is drawn on by The Bad Guy, who thinks he's got the drop on The Good Guy and is about to shoot him. Because that's what Bad Guys do.

But Our Hero, The Good Guy, was expect trouble and already had is gun out, under the table. Knowing his demise is imminent, he shoots first, in self-defense, having the advantage of surprise.

Somewhere along the line, people decided that The Good Guy, hero, sheriff, and police must let The Bad Guy shoot first, and must attempt to shoot the gun out of his hand, just like The Lone Ranger.

That stupidity is responsible for Lucas revising the scene, to make Han look like a 'Good Guy' because a Good Guy never shoots first or shoots a Bad Guy in the back (different story).

The scene never should have been changed, but there you go.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: November 13, 2019 05:13AM

Posted by: rgG
Date: November 13, 2019 09:09AM
bazookaman

Love it

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 75
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020