advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Kitchen breakthroughs: nitro coffee, kimchee, and caramelized onions
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: November 19, 2019 06:49AM
I rarely want any material goods, so have been trying to come up with stuff to put on my Christmas list. Otherwise, I'll get stuff I especially don't want. Often, my list consists of Eneloops and almonds, of the like. Suggestions are very welcome. I'm sure there's some item you think everyone would love. I did find a rechargeable Velcro belted heating pad I can keep on my back - both for my lousy back and for cold weather. I think a lot of people would enjoy that.

I love nitro coffee, but it's expensive and not available near my house or work. Sometimes the coffee itself isn't good or there isn't enough nitro. I was testing canned versions (whoa, did I find a bad one) in hopes of putting a case or two of the winner on my Christmas list. Rise, btw, is a good one, so far. Then I found out that I can make it myself with a $40 whipped cream canister. I'm making cold brew through the warm months anyway, so I barely need to change my practice to have nitro coffee on demand!!!! A lovely whipped cream canister and cartridges are now on my list.

I also made the best caramelized onions I ever made, and learned that they can be batched and frozen. I'm going to spend my afternoon with 10 pounds of onions, a food processor, and my Le Creuset. All of that will go in a flat Ziplock in the freezer, and I can break off pieces at will. I can't imagine using this delicious stuff instead of sautéed onions in all kinds of recipes... or throwing it on a burger, burrito, etc, I start almost every recipe with a mirepoix, and will save a lot of time using this instead, especially since I normally hand cut when it's just one onion. I put garlic and stuff in it anyway.

Does anyone make kimchee? I have a fairly wide range of temperatures and humidity in my house, which is why I don't make beer. I'm interested in fermenting if I'm not likely to have gross disasters. I bet there's fairly foolproof equipment now.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Kitchen breakthroughs: nitro coffee, kimchee, and caramelized onions
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 19, 2019 06:53AM
.....traditionally the kimchee is placed in pots and buried in the ground......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 19, 2019 07:26AM
Kimchee produces EPIC odor and will permeate your household. Be prepared.
Date: November 19, 2019 07:34AM
Hmm I wonder if I could do it in the basement, barn or something. This is stuff I need to know. I thought there were kind of sealed methods nowadays...
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 19, 2019 07:42AM
H&B doesn't work for you? eye rolling smiley
Posted by: 3d
Date: November 19, 2019 08:41AM
10lbs of onions. Now homemade kimchi.
I'm guessing you live alone?
Date: November 19, 2019 08:50AM
The cost of entry into home brewing beer is $200-250ish?
The cost of entry into making kimchi is under $20.
Go for it. If the kimchi goes completely awry it's cheap enough to laugh about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2019 08:51AM by 3d.
Date: November 19, 2019 08:51AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2019 08:51AM by 3d.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 19, 2019 09:41AM
Nitro coffee?

For heart patients?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 19, 2019 09:42AM
.....cold brew coffee with nitrogen pumped through it......big @ Starbucks......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: November 19, 2019 11:40AM
Nope, I'm happily married to a fairly adventurous eater! He loves my cooking.

I don't know what H & B is. But yes, getting into kimchee is inexpensive, and the raw materials are too. I'm just hoping to start with the best methods and equipment for success... one reason I want to make my own is so that I can make it very spicy, and without anchovies or other fish (can't eat them).
Posted by: rouderon
Date: November 19, 2019 01:38PM
We have a local coffee shop that does their own nitro coffee (and was doing it well before S****ucks) :-)
I have tried the whipped cream canister, but it always comes out as mostly froth - unless we depressurize it. I made the mistake of buying the larger canister, so once it is depressurized it has to be consumed immediately. Also, if you're not aware, make sure to use a little sugar so the nitro bonds with the coffee. The local coffee shop recommended raw cane sugar (1/5 ounce sugar to 16oz cold brew).

Another item for your Christmas list: Aeropress [www.amazon.com]
Similar to a French Press, but is only a single-serve and, to me, gives a better-tasting cup.
Date: November 19, 2019 04:37PM
I don't think I'll mind too much froth. We'll see. I didn't know that about the sugar... interesting. I prefer unsweetened everything, but it sounds important.

I like the Aeropress, and I use a single serving French press, but I don't like the fact that the Aeropress is hot liquid in plastic. For the nitro coffee, I'll be making large batches of cold brew with a large French press.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 19, 2019 05:03PM
I make better latte/cappuccino than most shops, with an Aeropress and a s/s milk frother that can be used on the stove (at a very low flame). comes out perfect nearly every time.

for fermented things, I recommend this book:
[www.westonaprice.org]

caramelized onions? do tell, I am curious what you did.
Date: November 19, 2019 05:26PM
I'll order that book, thanks! I wish the Aeropress was glass... I'd be sold.

I just sautéed all the chopped onions, and a little minced garlic, in a bit of oil and butter. I soon reduced the heat to medium low. As they started to collapse and stick, I deglazed with water and a little soy sauce (I just like it... it isn't traditional). I kept deglazing and stirring and added black pepper. I cooked them for over 5 hours! More butter and oil would definitely be helpful, but my other half is watching his weight. I don't prefer sweet things, so I didn't add sugar, but most people would. I ended up with a couple of cups of delicious jammy paste. I could only fit 6 pounds of onions in the pot in the end, so I'll need to do the rest another day.
Posted by: rouderon
Date: November 19, 2019 08:34PM
Is it that you feel you may burn yourself? We’ve had ours a couple years and I haven’t had need for skin grafts (yet) :-)
Date: November 20, 2019 04:17AM
No, it's just health. I rarely eat or drink out of plastic, particularly when hot material is involved. For better or worse, I'm the person who can grab stuff from the oven with my bare hands in many cases...
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 20, 2019 10:18AM
I don't heat the water in the Aeropress, but have on occasion; I use a ceramic mug, pour into (plastic) Aero and then plunge. Yes, it does end up in plastic, but I also don't heat my water much more than 165F, as espresso is not supposed to be anywhere close to boiling. Still, I appreciate the concern about hot plastic, and almost never put plastic of any type or grade into the microwave.
Date: November 20, 2019 10:32AM
I won't even use a plastic French press, or Saran Wrap. It's too bad because my only issue with the French press is that the coffee isn't hot enough when it's ready, and I think the Aeropress would do that better.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: November 20, 2019 10:43PM
Nothing to add except:

Have you tried deglazing your onions with red or white wine vinegar? Maybe not right for every dish but great for green beans. Champagne vinegar would probably work even better where less of a vinegar flavor is desired.

Down here we call mirepoix "Holy Trinity".

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Date: November 21, 2019 04:56AM
I put vinegar in most everything... but for this versatile batch, I left it out. That's why I used a little soy sauce - I found it would complement the dark flavors well.

Mirepoix has so many names in different places! Sometimes it has carrots, celery, or peppers... I vary those depending on what I'm doing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 88
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020