advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Stock brokers, anyone?
Posted by: Diana
Date: November 27, 2019 11:20PM
For those who have stocks outside of an IRA, who do you use, and why? I have been considering this for a while but haven’t had much time to check into it. They all appear nearly the same, and real-world experiences would be helpful.

Diana
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Stock brokers, anyone?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 27, 2019 11:25PM
I use the same company that has my IRA accounts - Vanguard. But I buy and hold.

Posted by: Diana
Date: November 27, 2019 11:34PM
The strategy would be the same as you stated: buy and hold. I have no desire to “play the market”. I also have an IRA through Vanguard, but due diligence calls me to check.
Posted by: Drew
Date: November 27, 2019 11:43PM
Here's an article about the recent trend of "no fee" brokers.

[www.cnbc.com]
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 27, 2019 11:47PM
I have accounts with both Fidelity and Schwab and have for over 25 years, since before they had web access. Main attraction for both is that they have physical offices within 10 miles of my home. Fidelity was also where my 401k from two employers was managed. I also don't trade often, so the cost per trade really didn't make a significant difference if it was $0, or $50 (I think Schwab was $49 when I started).
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 28, 2019 12:02AM
Robinhood. Download the iOS app to your phone and iPad. No fee. I day trade part of my portfolio so no fee is great!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: November 28, 2019 04:39AM
I used to be with Scotttrade and was happy with their service and had no intention of changing. The stock I have is a long term investment so I have no need to make frequent trades.

Then I moved to TD Ameritrade. I didn't do any new trades still. Their web interface to their services was a little more full featured. I was content. I had no intention of changing services.

Then I moved to Schwab. I haven't been with them long enough to form an opinion. I have no intention of changing, but I'm curious who I'll go with next.
Posted by: Michael
Date: November 28, 2019 05:16AM
I invest with Fidelity but use Schwab to investigate mutual funds and ETF's. I like their Report Card that shows a 1-page overall evaluation of given funds.
Posted by: msglee
Date: November 28, 2019 07:18AM
Ameriprise Financial
Posted by: samintx
Date: November 28, 2019 07:45AM
Schwab. Like their paperwork and care. Buy and hold investor. Excellent at tax time. Found everything super.
Posted by: raz
Date: November 28, 2019 10:08AM
'Stock Brokers' are all salesmen. Their advice can be worse than useless.

That said, the consumer oriented brokerages all pretty much the same. I've been with Fidelity for about 30 years now - if that helps.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: November 28, 2019 11:23AM
All I know is E*Trade.

I opened an account with them back in 2000 and haven't looked back. They have more than fulfilled my needs that I never checked into other online brokerage sites.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: November 28, 2019 04:23PM
TheTominator
I used to be with Scotttrade and was happy with their service and had no intention of changing. The stock I have is a long term investment so I have no need to make frequent trades.

Then I moved to TD Ameritrade. I didn't do any new trades still. Their web interface to their services was a little more full featured. I was content. I had no intention of changing services.

Then I moved to Schwab. I haven't been with them long enough to form an opinion. I have no intention of changing, but I'm curious who I'll go with next.

I have a small IRA with TD Ameritrade and just got notification from them that they are being bought out by Schwab.

Fred
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 118
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020