advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Tesla’s truck
Posted by: samintx
Date: November 29, 2019 07:29AM
Are you going to buy..or would you buy as a truck?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Tesla’s truck
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: November 29, 2019 09:15AM
I don't know about the truck. But my cousin just took me for a ride in his Tesla 3 and I'm sold. If I had the means, I would get one right now.

Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: November 29, 2019 09:24AM
Our next car will be a Model 3 or Y. No need for a truck at the moment. But who knows, if the economics are similar, we may get the truck instead.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 29, 2019 09:27AM
Bet it won't be the next Christmas Hess Truck.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 29, 2019 09:41AM
Ford won't take on Tesla's Cybertruck

[www.reuters.com]

Ford Motor Co executive Sunny Madra has also pitched in by challenging Musk via his Twitter account to an “apples to apples” tug of war between the Cybertruck and a comparable Ford F-150 pickup.

At the Cybertruck launch last week, Musk showed a video of the Tesla vehicle winning a tug of war and dragging a Ford truck uphill. He said he would happily hold another contest next week.

One online bookmaker on Wednesday had Tesla as favorite to win a contest at odds of 5 to 2 on.

Tesla’s shares were up marginally on Wednesday afternoon, but still down around 7% since the vehicle’s launch last Thursday.

“Sunny’s tweet was tongue in cheek ... nothing more,” a Ford spokesman said.

“With America’s best-selling truck for 42 years, we’ve always focused on serving our truck customers regardless of what others say or do. We look forward to our all-new F-150 hybrid coming next year and all-electric F-150 in a few years,” the spokesman said.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Beam Me Up Scotty
Date: November 29, 2019 09:55AM
I refrain from buying anything that's version 1.0

As a man told me once; "The pioneers are the ones with arrows in their backs".

D & C
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: November 29, 2019 10:33AM
Dazed & Confused
I refrain from buying anything that's version 1.0

As a man told me once; "The pioneers are the ones with arrows in their backs".

D & C

Wouldn’t they have the arrows in their fronts?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 29, 2019 10:46AM
But is the truck really version 1? The powertrain is similar to the Model S/X, with an inductive rear motor and the Model 3's permanent-magnet in front for the medium model. Other versions are single-motor rear wheel drive, or tri-motor with one front and two rear motors.

This isn't like a new Ford (chevy, Ram, Toyota, etc) that has an entirely new drivetrain.

I'm not a fan of the design, but also realize that some things can't be easily compared to ICE

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Beam Me Up Scotty
Date: November 29, 2019 10:59AM
"But is the truck really version 1?"

I'd say yes, it is 1.0 considering the glass shattering at the demo. Ya think they would have that worked out for the unveiling...but they didn't. Further, the drive train is similar to (perhaps, still too early to know) their other models but how about the rest of the vehicle (electronics etc.)? Plenty of other new parts on any new vehicle as well as production issues from the Tesla plant. Musk could very well have the production challenges worked out by then by why throw the dice?

Just my 2 cents (which is worth much less then that)...

D & C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2019 11:03AM by Dazed & Confused.
Posted by: Frank
Date: November 29, 2019 12:01PM
Dazed & Confused
"But is the truck really version 1?"

I'd say yes, it is 1.0 considering the glass shattering at the demo. Ya think they would have that worked out for the unveiling...but they didn't. Further, the drive train is similar to (perhaps, still too early to know) their other models but how about the rest of the vehicle (electronics etc.)? Plenty of other new parts on any new vehicle as well as production issues from the Tesla plant. Musk could very well have the production challenges worked out by then by why throw the dice?

Just my 2 cents (which is worth much less then that)...

D & C
I agree. Lots to go wrong in first year. The big three rarely introduce a completely new drivetrain.
I have a F150 that’s 9 years old without a single problem in that time. Great truck.
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: November 29, 2019 02:11PM
Carnos Jax
Our next car will be a Model 3 or Y. No need for a truck at the moment. But who knows, if the economics are similar, we may get the truck instead.

Nothing stopping you from getting your Model 3 and then make it into a truck.

TRUCKLA: The world's first Tesla pickup truck
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: November 29, 2019 04:24PM
At the Cybertruck launch last week, Musk showed a video of the Tesla vehicle winning a tug of war and dragging a Ford truck uphill. He said he would happily hold another contest next week.

Yeah and Elon claimed a stock Tesla set a new track record at Nürburgring.
Faster than a Porsche Taycan, Yeah, that's the ticket!"
Tesla’s Nürburgring Misadventure

Elon's role model???

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 29, 2019 05:53PM
I'm not a truck guy.

I wouldn't touch the Tesla truck with a 10' pole attached to my wallet.

Sure, I catch a ride or drive one if I had the opportunity, but buy one – not a chance.

If I were a truck guy, I still wouldn't buy one.

Not a consideration until 1) it's two or three magnitudes better looking, and 2) I need a truck and 3) it has more utility as a 'truck'.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 29, 2019 08:09PM
All the criticism here explains why there hasn’t been a new car company in over 100 years.

Plenty of happy Tesla car owners. Some of the highest satisfaction ratings in the industry.

You don’t have to buy one. But without Tesla, there would be no Ford hybrid pickup and all-electric coming in a couple years.
Date: November 29, 2019 09:09PM
You don’t have to buy one.

And I won't.

All the criticism here explains why there hasn’t been a new car company in over 100 years.

If the criticism is valid for the person offering it, who cares.

If I were to buy an electric Ford p/u, I wouldn't be beholding to Musk for a damn thing. Unless maybe he bought Ford in the interim.

I'd be beholding to Ford or Chevy, or whoever made an electric p/u that induced me to buy. Ford, Chevy, or whoever, might be beholding to Musk, but not me.

If he puts out a product that doesn't do boffo, and somebody Voltarian come-lately does, the 'without Tesla' becomes meaningless except to a historian.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: November 29, 2019 11:42PM
A lot of this reminds me of people who never used Macs saying they sucked. Every friend or relative I hooked up with a Mac has never gone back to Windows. They say the same of Tesla’s. Once you drive one extensively, you’ll never go back to a regular car.
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: November 30, 2019 06:45AM
Innovation is good.
Improvement is good.

But this appears to be a truck design that isn't intended to be a truck for all current pickup truck users. People wanting to drive an ATV into the back will be happy. You could be that friend that everybody calls to help them move something (or many somethings). The lack of wheel wells removing space from the cargo area is great for transporting sheets of plywood/sheetrock and so on.

The current 100-year design wasn't just a random choice. It was based on the refined human interface design from horse-drawn cargo vehicles and carts. People have spent countless hours using these cargo vehicles and have a vested interest in refining the design to be more useful for work. We haven't stuck with this general shape due to a lack of imagination.

I have questions about the usability from my limited understanding of the design of the Cybertruck.

Do you load and unload split firewood or similar cargo? How do you reach and unload items that are in the front of the cargo area without having to climb into the back? The high sides appear to be a liability for many current usages.

How do I add side racks to raise the height of the enclosed cargo area? Is my only option to fabricate a free-standing box to add into the vault. The loading ramp could be helpful for loading/unloading livestock, but lacking the ability to raise the sides will find you chasing after the goats or fabricating a free-standing tall box for the cargo area (all of which will be incompatible with the automated tonneau cover).

The level sides to the standard pickup truck permit you to drive up efficiently with a bucket loader and drop in your loose load (gravel, dirt, mulch, compost). In the new design the operator has to be much more careful to work around the uneven bed sides. I wonder how a load of lime (powdered limestone), crushed rock, or wood chips would harm the mechanism of the recessed roll up cover. The lid covering the extra bed compartment may suffer also from small particulates of a loose load.

I haven't seen yet how the Cybertruck addresses the issue of load tiedown points or if it has a standard square tube receiver for a tow hitch.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2019 06:47AM by TheTominator.
Date: November 30, 2019 09:53AM
A lot of this reminds me of people who never used Macs saying they sucked.

This makes me think you're lumping this truck into the same category as every other electric vehicle going.

This is not a Chevy Volt.

It's not Tesla S.

If I ordered either of the above and the CyberTruck showed up instead, I'd be highly disappointed, unless it was free.

Then I'd just be disappointed.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: November 30, 2019 10:26AM
I already ordered one. It’s $100 fully refundable. Why not? I currently have a Mazda B4000 that has 150,000 hard miles on it. It’s starting to show it’s age. My Chevy Volt has shown me that range anxiety isn’t really a thing. I drive 95% of my time on electric and realized with an EV I’d still only scratch the surface of the range 95% of the time. I can still charge it from a 120V outlet just like I do with the Volt. I’ve been saving for an EV for years and trying find the optimum timing to dump my Volt. It’s a great car but the ICE, which is a benefit now, will be a boat anchor soon when gas stations are as rare as EV chargers are now. I think 2 years from now is about the optimum time to sell. The Tesla truck will do all that I need and more. I’m not a rancher but I do occasionally need to haul stuff and tow things short distances. I’m not a contractor but I do occasionally need to build things in remote locations. The Tesla truck will make all of those things easier. I agree the styling is unconventional to put it mildly, but it is function over form. It’s aerodynamics are actually good compared to normal trucks. The most expensive Tesla truck is the same as the starting price of the least expensive Rivian. The longer competitors wait, the harder it will be for them to compete with Tesla. The ATLAS truck is still a pipe dream, the Bollinger is $120k. Ford’s electric truck is probably still a few years out at best. In the next few months Tesla has a battery announcement planned that I expect will shake up the industry quite a bit. This will just make it harder for others to compete with them.

What I’m really looking forward to is standardized EV conversions. I really want to make my 66 Corvair into an EV but it’s still a largely custom job that would be $30-$40k if done correctly.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: November 30, 2019 11:23AM
Musk's original Tesla introduction was a two-seat sports car:

- limited interest market, but populated with many "early adopters" likely to evangelize and spread the "word"

- performance (acceleration) eclipsing comparable ICE vehicles; again generating much attention and discussion

This Tesla pickup rollout would appear to be following the same formula.

Diehard ICE faithful will resist until facts (and/or a Tesla) overtake them. burnout smiley
Date: November 30, 2019 11:50AM
This Tesla pickup rollout would appear to be following the same formula.

Except the roadster was more conventional in appearance than his truck.

It would appear he's more intent on creating buzz than marketshare with the truck, instead of both.

I guess that's what Honda did with the Insight, thus allowing those championing/evangelizing EVs/hybrids to make their preference known.

With the newer Insights and now Clarity, Honda is steering towards more conventional appearances.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Date: November 30, 2019 12:13PM
RAMd®d
Except the roadster was more conventional in appearance than his truck.

Actually that original roadster was NOT a Tesla design. It was built on the Lotus Elise of 1997; a 9 year old design by 2006 when the Tesla roadster premiered.

“Tesla produced the Roadster until January 2012, when its supply of Lotus gliders ran out, as its contract with Lotus Cars for 2,500 gliders expired at the end of 2011.”

[en.m.wikipedia.org]
Posted by: fauch
Date: November 30, 2019 04:30PM
I want one, but as I live outside the US, it would probably cost me BOTH kidneys to afford one...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 83
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020